Menu

5th grade planning help

mamafin08

Next year we decided to do more online classes. This year we did Center for Lit with the optional writing and I love it but it seems a little pricey for once a month for the literature part and once a week for the writing. What would compare to that program but maybe meet more often?

We will do/ Thinking of doing

Spelling: Phonetic Zoo Level B

Math: Math U See... Is that enough?

Latin: We currently do Latina Christiana but I'm thinking of switching to LFC and doing Schole for the online class- Is it crazy to switch to a different latin? And is there a teacher I should try to get? I looked at Memoria Press online classes and I'm not sure what I think about them. 

Writing: Writing and Rhetoric from Schole

Literature:? 

Grammar: We did FLL but now we ended that so maybe Shurley since I'm thinking of doing LFC?

History: VP self-paced unless WHA is super amazing and worth the extra cost and maybe some extra reading/listening to SOTW

Bible: VP self-paced

Science: I'm thinking of doing WHA science- Has anyone done that? Is there a teacher recommendation 

Am I missing anything? My son is a strong reader and loves to read but really fights me on school so I think having a live class will really push him! 

Are there any classes that are a must take at WHA or anywhere else for a 5th grader?

I love Math U See.  One of my kids used it through pre-algebra and got an amazingly strong foundation.

Literature - do you want to do a formal study or read good books?

I don't think you're missing anything, but as a slightly different perspective on motivation...I think it's worth it to cultivate hands on skills between 5th and 8th and intertwine them with various subjects.  With my oldest, his literature one year ended up being unit studies from MBTP focused on survival, history had science mixed in, and we used two books for our year's "spine" or theme: The Dangerous Book For Boys and and the American Boy's Handy Book.  By the end of the year those two books were warped and the latter was actually broken into two parts. 😄 But it was worth it - so much he read about was applied and he got a greater appreciation for the various subjects.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

I love Math U See.  One of my kids used it through pre-algebra and got an amazingly strong foundation.

Literature - do you want to do a formal study or read good books?

I've done Memoria Press Lit guides and they were overwhelming for my son who doesn't love writing and then this year we did Center for Lit online discussion and it's wonderful! They read one book a month and discuss it. I want quality books! 

I don't think you're missing anything, but as a slightly different perspective on motivation...I think it's worth it to cultivate hands on skills between 5th and 8th and intertwine them with various subjects.  With my oldest, his literature one year ended up being unit studies from MBTP focused on survival, history had science mixed in, and we used two books for our year's "spine" or theme: The Dangerous Book For Boys and and the American Boy's Handy Book.  By the end of the year those two books were warped and the latter was actually broken into two parts. 😄 But it was worth it - so much he read about was applied and he got a greater appreciation for the various subjects.

That all looks good to me. I’ll add that if you are thinking about LFC, my 5th grader is taking Latin through WHA and they use LFC. She has Kelly Songer for her teacher and she’s a huge favorite around here. She’s so much fun and my daughter is learning so much! 

I'm going back and forth being Latin at WHA and Schole. I like that Schole meets three times a week. I guess it will depend on price. How much are Schole classes?

I also read about Language Arts 1 at WHA and maybe I should do that for Literature and writing instead of W & R.

I was reading that LCF A aligns well with the first self paced history and Bible from Veritas. I was going to put him in the one for 5th grade which I think is Gospels and up to 1815 but should I just start him at the beginning?

5 hours ago, ByGrace3 said:

I can't imagine any of my dc being able to handle that many live online classes at that age, but yours might be different.  The self paced are a different story. You have science, writing, and Latin live online. It would be too much for us. 

I agree, that it would be waaaay too many online classes for us, personally.

Have you tried giving your son grades?  I realize that is really poo-poo'd in the homeschool world.

I went through a really hard, tough patch with my oldest boy when he was in 5th-6th grade. Like yours, he was a strong reader, very bright boy, but was fighting me every step of the way.  While it didn't solve all of our mama-teacher/student issues, grades helped tremendously.  He needed the competition with himself and needed what he perceived to be 'real' feedback.

Just a thought. 🙂

Honestly, that 5th-6th grade age drives me crazy because they are becoming more cognitively capable of productivity, but fight it like crazy because they are still half little kid. I agree with PP that online classes will not solve that issue; in fact, they may make it worse with more work and more expectations. The fighting school is a developmental stage and is really more of a fighting growing up/puberty issue. Neither of my boys would have been able to handle that many online classes in 5th grade or 6th grade. IMHE, you just have to muddle through this age as best you can with a lot of humor, plenty of sports or exercise or hard work, and a wing and a prayer. The brain does seem to settle down and prune a bit by age 13 and they are more able to work then at a secondary level. I personally would favor keeping as much control of subjects yourself with mom-created courses or curriculum and adjusting to the day as necessary. Best of luck!

One thing that has really helped us through this stage is "co-op" classes. I use that term loosely. Last year we did a co-op...basically I planned my year and invited others to join us. This year I am teaching a writing and literature class for some of my kids homeschool friends. It gives the class and peer experience, but I can maintain the expectations and goals. My older dd loves her online classes, but when I asked her if for next  year she wanted to do an online writing class or another community class, she was clear she preferred the community class. 

• Like 1

I've been ignoring this thread since it didn't apply to me, but this morning I looked left at breakfast and realized that my 4th grader will be in 5th grade next year, oops! I still don't have a lot to add except to say that with my olders we took most of 5th grade off from grammar and then did AG 6-8 and we are almost done with grammar as a subject.

Switching Latin is probably fine if he is onboard. Otherwise, I think Latin will suddenly look like a negotiable subject.

My olders each take 3 outside classes and that leaves us some wiggle-room for load balancing when they have a baby week from outside providers. Not sure how necessary that is in 5th.

On 1/29/2019 at 8:36 AM, mamafin08 said:

I'm going back and forth being Latin at WHA and Schole. I like that Schole meets three times a week. I guess it will depend on price. How much are Schole classes?

I also read about Language Arts 1 at WHA and maybe I should do that for Literature and writing instead of W & R.

I was reading that LCF A aligns well with the first self paced history and Bible from Veritas. I was going to put him in the one for 5th grade which I think is Gospels and up to 1815 but should I just start him at the beginning?

Like your son, I enrolled my son in online classes because he needed to be pushed. My son is in 6th grade this year.  He is doing both W&R 3 and LA2 this year. They go so well together.  He is also doing Math 6 at WHA and Spanish 2B at Schole Academy.  LA at WHA has the literature & grammar I was looking for because my son is a reluctant reader and needed some competition and someone else to be accountable to.  The writing is completely different from W&R, but uses some of the same concepts.  I was a little concerned about LA being 1.5 hours long, but he is completely engaged and the time flies by.  My son is going to continue with LA3 and W&R4 because they are both fabulous and I feel it is beneficial to do more writing.  Personally, I'd do both instead of adding online science.  My son had Mrs. McGahey this year who is energetic, encouraging, and knowledgeable.  One thing I would do different in 6th grade is to enroll my son in Fundamentals of Latin at WHA instead of Spanish 2B.  I have heard Kelly Songer is a fun teacher.

Veritas Press Self-paced history and Bible are wonderful.  My son started them in 3rd grade and did them year round, even on weekends.  I just kept buying them during sales and he had them all completed by September 2018.  He loved to do them while he was eating breakfast, and I loved listening to them while I cooked and cleaned up.  If you are starting in 5th grade, I'd start with his interest.  My son's favorite was Old Testament & Ancient Egypt.  Julie Etter at WHA teaches Fundamentals of Western Civilization which covers all the VP history levels so if you don't have time for history you can catch up.  I have a friend's daughter who is taking it this year in 7th grade and LOVES it. If you think your son will be ready for The Great Conversations 1 in 7th grade, I'd take her class in 6th grade.  I'm going to have my son to Omnibus 1 Primary (Veritas Press self-paced) and not add any writing assignments because he is taking two writing classes next year.  My daughter is in high school and has taken the high school level The Great Conversations classes and can't fathom doing them self-paced.  I just don't know if he's ready and it's cheaper to do Omnibus self-paced for the exposure until he is ready for live.

We used an online self-paced science curriculum I highly recommend - Experience Astronomy  https://experienceastronomy.com   We are going to do https://www.scienceondemand.info  with Catie Frates next year.  Catie is a creation scientist.  She is passionate about science and a lot of fun to listen to.

I'm not a fan of Math-u-see, but many parents like it for their children if they are not STEM bound.  I know several families that are redoing Algebra 1 & 2 in high school after using Math-U-See.  I haven't found any math curriculum I totally love though.  Math 6 at WHA has been a challenge for my son, but he needed it and will be well prepared for pre-algebra next year.   I am really excited about Pre-Algebra at Schole Academy next year though.  Eric Reini at WHA is great, but I like that the Schole Academy class is 3 times a week and I think the teacher will be a good fit.

I did not do formal spelling this year.  Instead he is doing Touch-type Read and Spell https://www.ttrsonline.com/Account/LogOn?ReturnUrl=%2fDashboard

Edited by lbell
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, lbell said:

Like your son, I enrolled my son in online classes because he needed to be pushed. My son is in 6th grade this year.  He is doing both W&R 3 and LA2 this year. They go so well together.  He is also doing Math 6 at WHA and Spanish 2B at Schole Academy.  LA at WHA has the literature & grammar I was looking for because my son is a reluctant reader and needed some competition and someone else to be accountable to.  The writing is completely different from W&R, but uses some of the same concepts.  I was a little concerned about LA being 1.5 hours long, but he is completely engaged and the time flies by.  My son is going to continue with LA3 and W&R4 because they are both fabulous and I feel it is beneficial to do more writing.  Personally, I'd do both instead of adding online science.  My son had Mrs. McGahey this year who is energetic, encouraging, and knowledgeable.  One thing I would do different in 6th grade is to enroll my son in Fundamentals of Latin at WHA instead of Spanish 2B.  I have heard Kelly Songer is a fun teacher.

Veritas Press Self-paced history and Bible are wonderful.  My son started them in 3rd grade and did them year round, even on weekends.  I just kept buying them during sales and he had them all completed by September 2018.  He loved to do them while he was eating breakfast, and I loved listening to them while I cooked and cleaned up.  If you are starting in 5th grade, I'd start with his interest.  My son's favorite was Old Testament & Ancient Egypt.  Julie Etter at WHA teaches Fundamentals of Western Civilization which covers all the VP history levels so if you don't have time for history you can catch up.  I have a friend's daughter who is taking it this year in 7th grade and LOVES it. If you think your son will be ready for The Great Conversations 1 in 7th grade, I'd take her class in 6th grade.  I'm going to have my son to Omnibus 1 Primary (Veritas Press self-paced) and not add any writing assignments because he is taking two writing classes next year.  My daughter is in high school and has taken the high school level The Great Conversations classes and can't fathom doing them self-paced.  I just don't know if he's ready and it's cheaper to do Omnibus self-paced for the exposure until he is ready for live.

We used an online self-paced science curriculum I highly recommend - Experience Astronomy  https://experienceastronomy.com   We are going to do https://www.scienceondemand.info  with Catie Frates next year.  Catie is a creation scientist.  She is passionate about science and a lot of fun to listen to.

I'm not a fan of Math-u-see, but many parents like it for their children if they are not STEM bound.  I know several families that are redoing Algebra 1 & 2 in high school after using Math-U-See.  I haven't found any math curriculum I totally love though.  Math 6 at WHA has been a challenge for my son, but he needed it and will be well prepared for pre-algebra next year.   I am really excited about Pre-Algebra at Schole Academy next year though.  Eric Reini at WHA is great, but I like that the Schole Academy class is 3 times a week and I think the teacher will be a good fit.

I did not do formal spelling this year.  Instead he is doing Touch-type Read and Spell https://www.ttrsonline.com/Account/LogOn?ReturnUrl=%2fDashboard

Your post was very helpful! I want to challenge him academically but not overwhelm him. 

Im going to look up those sciences! I want passionate teachers! It makes learning more fun!

Do you know if they have placement tests for LA or Latin? 

Would you start in their history program now or just do Self Paced? 

I talked with J Etter on the phone and she said LA might need more literature added on to it so I'm trying to decide if I should do LA and if so what level plus Center for Lit or just the one. There are so many choices. 

For Latin I think I'll do Schole to see how I like it! 

That makes me nervous about math. I'll need to think on that some more.

Leeanne 

51 minutes ago, mamafin08 said:

Your post was very helpful! I want to challenge him academically but not overwhelm him. 

Im going to look up those sciences! I want passionate teachers! It makes learning more fun!

Do you know if they have placement tests for LA or Latin? 

Would you start in their history program now or just do Self Paced? 

I talked with J Etter on the phone and she said LA might need more literature added on to it so I'm trying to decide if I should do LA and if so what level plus Center for Lit or just the one. There are so many choices. 

For Latin I think I'll do Schole to see how I like it! 

That makes me nervous about math. I'll need to think on that some more.

Leeanne 

LA1 is the introductory level in this sequence, typically appropriate for 5th graders or advanced 4th graders.

Throughout the year, discussions, debates, and projects will assist the students, and encourage a love of reading as they connect personally to the unique characters and storylines.  Poetry, memory work, dictation, and copywork are incorporated weekly, providing opportunities for the students to be involved in the class in a myriad of ways. As biblical truths are discussed and identified within each story and its characters, students are encouraged to share how this impacts their daily lives.

The Grammar & Writing curriculum is available as a PDF for downloading.

Typical Reading:

• The Trumpet of the Swan, E. B. White
  • Phantom Tollbooth, Norton Juster
  • Old Yeller, Fred Gipson
  • Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh, Robert C. O’Brien
  • Just So Stories, Rudyard Kipling
  • Prince Caspian, CS Lewis
  • The Sign of the Beaver, Elizabeth George Speare

There is a grammar test for LA 1, 2 & 3 at WHA.  It doesn't make you ineligible to take the class, but it helps parents know what they need to work on during the summer to help prepare for the class they chose, or they can switch to a different class.  I have a friend with a gifted 5th grade girl who left private school this year and did LA2.  She said LA2 has really challenged her.  Regarding LA1, I don't think you need to add more literature.  More is not always better and limits the depth you can go into for each book.  If you find you need more reading, Veritas Press Self-paced has suggested books that go with the lessons.

I don't know what age you are able to start the WHA Fundamentals of Western Civ.  They have added some elementary history courses, but I'd do Veritas Press self-paced instead.  They are fun and the kids learn so much.

For me, history and science are the "candy" of our curriculum.  I try to make choices that will be fun at this level.  I really focus on reading, writing & math.  My son learned to like writing with Writing & Rhetoric.  HE doesn't want to stop that curriculum because he loves the stories they read and write about.  He still doesn't read for pleasure, but he likes the books and discussions about them in LA3, and I like that dication, copywork, vocabulary, grammar, recitations & writing are all tied to the literature they are reading and woven together. He is doing more in LA2 than I could have ever gotten him to do.   I have learned with my high school daughter, to try and do Algebra 1 in 8th grade to be on track for college entrance exams.  She ended up doing two maths in one year to get caught up.  Many families are more laid back about math, but I don't want to limit college choices because I didn't stress the importance of pursuing high mathematics.  If your child isn't developmentally ready, however, you shouldn't push.  If they are just lazy...that's another story.  My son leans toward lazy.  That's why I am so exited about the Pre-Algebra teacher at Schole Academy.  Dr. Riley addresses character development and the sin of being slothful.  She also celebrates failure because it's the first step to success.  She may have some helpful advice on elementary curriculum.https://www.scholeacademy.com/open-house/

Edited by lbell
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2019 at 10:18 AM, lbell said:

Could you please share that do students have to scan the practice problems,homework and tests and then they submit them to the teacher in Math 6?  Do students have to do all practice problems or only odd or even problems? How many tests and no. of practice problems for each day? How long do Math work take daily for your ds? Are the Math classes rigorous? Did you like them? Any pros or cons?

Thanks. 

FWIW, my son did LFC A at Schole and LFC B at WHA. He enjoyed both. He really likes Kelly Songer and will continue with her because he will be moving to LA1 with her. I only switched to WHA because the sections at Schole last year were way too early for my not a morning person son. I don't think you can go wrong with Schole. I really like the revised version of LFC which is a lot more engaging.

Edited by calbear

On 2/19/2019 at 4:35 AM, Rosepetal said:

Could you please share that do students have to scan the practice problems,homework and tests and then they submit them to the teacher in Math 6?  Do students have to do all practice problems or only odd or even problems? How many tests and no. of practice problems for each day? How long do Math work take daily for your ds? Are the Math classes rigorous? Did you like them? Any pros or cons?

Thanks. 

Sorry for the delay in responding.  I have not been able to log onto this website for some reason...  The math load of Math 6 is very manageable.  They do a mixture of problems from the textbook and pages in the extra practice book.  The word problems are the toughest (and my son's weakness) and the reason I decided to try Math 6 which uses Math in Focus.  I thought the 1.5 hr math classes may be too long, but my son stays engaged and never complains.  The teacher is encouraging and fun.  The only thing I don't like about Math in Focus is that there is only review at the end of a chapter and a cumulative review at the end of each book.  I'm used to a spiral curriculum. There are tests at the end of each of each chapter.  Sometimes the teacher grades them and sometimes parents do and report the grade to the teacher.  Tests are about every 2 weeks and are usually open notes and open book.  It has been a good learning experience for my son to search the chapter for help during a test.  It's usually the word problems that require him to do so.  On his first test, he ignored using his book for help and missed several problems.  I let the teacher know and she emailed him the page numbers and problems to look at in the book for each of the problems he got wrong on the test, and she encouraged him to resubmit his test.  The teacher is very responsive to emails and encourages the students to contact her with questions. 

• Like 1

On 2/19/2019 at 4:35 AM, Rosepetal said:

Thanks. 

Regarding submitting work, I choose to correct the homework assignments with my son instead of having him self-check.  He then makes corrections and highlights any questions he has.  Each class begins with a quiz that covers answers they got in the homework and is followed by students questions and review.  Students are also involved in working problems during class.  The Waucom tablet is recommended, but if you have an iPad it works better because it mirrors the computer screen which my son finds easier to use.  The writing is also neater and more ledgible. (My son uses a $10 stylus from Amazon.)  I downloaded the app Astropad for $29.99 on the iPad and then downloaded the computer version for the iMac.  (Astropad only works with Apple computers.)  Duet Display is cheaper and is designed to work with Apple or Windows computers but after a couple hours of troubleshooting, I never had success getting it to work.  I need to call the company and get help, but I haven't taken the time.  Astropad was more expensive, but I had it downloading and working in minutes.  It also allows the iPad to connect wirelessly which is convenient.

• Like 1

On 2/22/2019 at 10:13 AM, lbell said:

Regarding submitting work, I choose to correct the homework assignments with my son instead of having him self-check.  He then makes corrections and highlights any questions he has.  Each class begins with a quiz that covers answers they got in the homework and is followed by students questions and review.  Students are also involved in working problems during class.  The Waucom tablet is recommended, but if you have an iPad it works better because it mirrors the computer screen which my son finds easier to use.  The writing is also neater and more ledgible. (My son uses a $10 stylus from Amazon.)  I downloaded the app Astropad for $29.99 on the iPad and then downloaded the computer version for the iMac.  (Astropad only works with Apple computers.)  Duet Display is cheaper and is designed to work with Apple or Windows computers but after a couple hours of troubleshooting, I never had success getting it to work.  I need to call the company and get help, but I haven't taken the time.  Astropad was more expensive, but I had it downloading and working in minutes.  It also allows the iPad to connect wirelessly which is convenient.

Thanks for replying in detail!