Menu

What's with the ads?

lewelma

Poetry Study - need advice and resources

I'm editing my original post, as I've decided we are going to dig deeper....

OP: My son loves poetry, but most of what I'm finding is poor quality paperback copies of the great poets.  Does anyone know of any editions published where the book is a joy to hold? We are starting with Dickinson, but it would be super cool if there was a series covering major poets that all matched, and I could just add to his collection over time.

ETA: We would like to understand how poetry has evolved over time and what are the major clusters of poets.  I'm thinking 1800 to modern day, if that is a reasonable cluster.  My son loves Longfellow because of the rhythmic nature and Emily Dickinson because of her amazing use of figurative language.  We have dabbled with Whitman, Poe, Shakespeare,Frost, Angelou, Tennyson, and Sandburg (we have used the Poetry for Young People editions because they are beautifully illustrated, but they only pick poems that kids can understand and we are ready for the harder stuff). But we can't figure out how they all go together.  I know there are the romantics, but where can I get a general understanding of how they differ from the modernists, etc.  I've tried some websites, but they are all so bitsy. We have worked our way through MCT poetry books, but they are more about the technicalities of *how* poems are constructed. What have people used to help a deep thinker and lover of language, get into the depths and meaning of poetry?

I have just bought Helen Vindler's Emily Dickinson: Selected Poetry and Commentaries for a deep dive into Dickinson as each poem has 2 pages of commentary. But now I need something broader to understand the larger trends and connections between major poets in major eras. 

Ruth in NZ

Edited by lewelma

The Folio Society

Here is the Poetry Society's list of publishers of books of poetry -- but I believe this is more for the benefit of poets who are trying to line up with publishers -- I don't know if any of these publishers print beautiful hardback poetry collections.

You might also look at Juniper Books which appears to create artistic book covers for your pre-existing books.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

Thanks Lori!  Given that Folio Society does not have a huge range, do you know of any standard publishers that produce nice but not fancy poetry books? I was thinking Oxford World Classics, but didn't know which other publishers produce on nicer paper and with decent formatting. 

1 hour ago, lewelma said:

Thanks Lori!  Given that Folio Society does not have a huge range, do you know of any standard publishers that produce nice but not fancy poetry books? I was thinking Oxford World Classics, but didn't know which other publishers produce on nicer paper and with decent formatting. 

No hands-on experience with these, and very limited in what books of poetry they offer, but perhaps you can find individual titles of interest from these special editions from various publishers:

Barnes & Noble Collectible Editions
Penguin Clothbound Poetry
Penguin Classic Deluxe Editions -- mostly fiction, but 3 poetry volumes: Robert Frost, Marcel Proust, Walt Whitman
White's Books Fine Editions: Bluestocking Shelf

Otherwise, I think you just have to look at the different editions of books by authors your DS is interested in and decide from online "look inside" options if the layout is to your liking. You might look at some of the publishers from that Poetry Society list (linked above) to find publishers who specialize in publishing poetry.

Good luck!

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

Oh, those are wonderful! I had no idea they existed. Thanks!  

Given your awesome researching skills, I've love suggestions if you have any for history/genre's of poetry as described in my now edited OP.

On 1/28/2019 at 1:49 PM, lewelma said:

ETA: We would like to understand how poetry has evolved over time and what are the major clusters of poets.  I'm thinking 1800 to modern day, if that is a reasonable cluster...

You might like this combo of resources:

1. The Cambridge History of English Poetry
Covers "movements" in the literature and major poets within the movements, from Medieval to modern times (approx. 1980s).

2. The Making of a Poem: A Norton Anthology of Poetic Forms
Traces the history of poetic forms, and explains the different poetic forms for increased appreciation.

3. The Norton Anthology of Poetry -- 1000 years of classic poems & poets -- choose your edition:
3rd edition (c. 1983; almost 1500 pages) = over 1400 classic poems by 200 poets
4th edition (c. 1996; almost 2000 pages) = removed some older classic poems to include newer poets (up through 1990); one complaint: included too many fringe poets and contemporary poets from the "school of resentment" (lol)
5th edition (c. 2004, 2100+ pages) -- OR -- 5th "shorter" edition (c. 2005; almost 1500 pages)
6th edition (c. 2018, 2100+ pages)

For a very quick overview/starting point, you might like this Wikipedia article: List of Poetry Groups and Movements -- here is the link to take you down in the article to the 19th and 20th century poets/movements. Within these overview summaries of those centuries are links to all of the specific major poetry movements and poets for further study, or to create a list for yourself for researching.

Cheers! Lori

ETA:

8 minutes ago, lewelma said:

...I've love suggestions if you have any for history/genre's of poetry as described in my now edited OP.

8 minutes ago, lewelma said:

...Now, how do you do that so fast?!?!?!  Thanks!  Off to read.....

LOL! I cross-posted a response, even as you were asking. (:D

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

Now, how do you do that so fast?!?!?!  Thanks!  Off to read.....

Also, I really like Tanya Runyan's How To Read A Poem as a very friendly reminder and welcome invitation to deepen enjoyment poetry, and how to "enter into" a poem -- with specific tips and techniques of how to do just that! -- and not to fall into the trap of only analyzing and parsing poetry. 🙂

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lewelma said:

Now, how do you do that so fast?!?!?!  Thanks!  Off to read.....

Because she's The Magical Homeschooling Fairy. Duh.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3