Menu

Can we talk back pain?

Pegasus

I both turned 50 and hurt my back for the first time this month.  Argh!  I went to the doctor and he reassured me that it is likely a sprain/strain type injury and that I was showing no signs of anything more serious being wrong.  He gave me a script for short-term use of a muscle relaxant, recommended NSAIDS, moist heat, and gentle movements.  He said I could pursue physical therapy if I didn't recover just fine within a few weeks.

It's now been 3 weeks and I keep getting better and then have a big setback. The latest: I was feeling 90% better on Saturday and still was very careful about how I carried myself and other than walking more, I didn't do anything strenuous.  Well, Sunday was really bad again and I had my worst night so far last night.  I'm not 100% sure, but I think it is muscle spasms as I can't predict which movements will cause the sharp pain, which passes quickly, and then the same exact movement won't twinge at all.

Looking for reassurance that this small steps forward and big steps back process is not unusual while recovering from back pain. DH wants me to go back to the doctor but I figure he will say the same thing. I don't need his referral to seek physical therapy so I've made an appointment. They can see me Thursday.  A bit desperate, I also called a chiropractor practice that I can walk to. I've never been to one before but this one has good reviews online. They can see me this afternoon.

Thanks.

Definitely try chiropractic care. Physical therapy will likely help too but I found with my hip pain that the chiropractor was more effective.

Zyflamend is a dietary supplement that I found helpful. I know people who swear by CBD oil (legal in all 50 states if hemp-derived) but I was dubious about taking that while pregnant.

• Like 1

Some people prefer ice, but I find heat helps me the most.  I take a hot shower or use a heating pad to relax my back every night before I go to sleep.  I also do the exercises that a physical therapist gave me several years ago.  As long as I do them regularly and do something to warm my back before bed, I'm usually okay.  When I spend too much time driving or on the computer, though, I sometimes need a back massage to get things back to normal.

As for chiropractic care vs physical therapy?  I've had both very good and very bad experiences with chiropractic care, and so I'm not as quick to see one as I used to be.  I've had very good and not particularly helpful (but not bad) experiences with physical therapy.  PT costs a lot more, but in the long run, I have found it a lot more helpful.  The PT gave me a set of exercises that keep my back and hips in great shape without needing the painful adjustments I used to get from the chiropractor.   

In my opinion,  chiropractic and PT could help reduce pain and increase function. DS15, a year-round soccer player, has disc space issues at L4-L5, sees the chiropractor sometimes twice weekly, and does prescribed PT exercises daily. Both treatments seem to complement and enhance each other. 

Could/would you consider trying both? Chiropractic care often requires adjustments over a period of time, but physical therapy exercises are done on your own, requiring fewer sessions (in my experience). 

Another suggestion: Mat Pilates. My husband has bulging lumbar discs and swears that weekly classes eliminate his back pain and muscle spasms. If we miss a few classes,  then the pain returns. There are lots of Pilates videos on YouTube, my advice is to do at least 10 minutes of Pilates core work each for about a week and see if they help. 

Epson salt baths, as hot as you can tolerate, might help relax tight or spasming back muscles. 

Last suggestion: Massage therapy in conjunction to chiropractic adjustments. Chiropractic helps the spine, massage helps the muscles; in my experience, regular massages extend the duration of time that DH is free of pain after a spine adjustment. 

I hope you feel better very soon!

Edited by trulycrabby

Thank you, everyone!  I saw the chiro yesterday for a new patient evaluation.  His assessment agreed with the MD that it doesn't appear to be a disk problem.  However, he was able to point out that I'm carrying myself funny (one shoulder is definitely lower than the other) to compensate for the pain.  He said things look even wonkier from the back.  He also had me examined separately by a nurse practitioner who noted a couple of places on my back where the muscles seem tight/bunched.  I'm supposed to return after they have had a chance to confer with one another, review the x-rays that they took, and develop a treatment plan.  I've made an appt for tomorrow.

Today, I visit the physical therapy place so I'll see how that goes as well.  I'm game for doing both, I just wasn't sure if there was a professional competition aspect to it where one or the other wouldn't approve of doing both. Fortunately, I have good insurance and have met my deductible already this year.

Heat (hot showers or heating pad) feel good when I use them but I haven't noticed any general improvement in my pain after I remove the heat.  I have determined that, while my comfortable recliner feels great to sit in, I have more pain after getting up from there.  I do better in a more erect kitchen chair or desk chair.

I appreciate all the other recommendations and will be following up on them as I can.  Massage sounds great but that would definitely be out of pocket.

On 1/29/2019 at 11:43 AM, HollyDay said:

Imaging?  I have a rather serious problem with my back.  Wasn't discovered until imaging

What type of imaging did you have done?  I had a series of x-rays.  I've been told they won't be able to get insurance to pay for MRI unless I "fail" conservative treatment, such as physical therapy, first.

Have you tried salonpas patches?  They work great for my reoccurring back issue.  They are sold everywhere.  I hope you get relief soon.  Btdt.  Let me know if you have any questions about Salonpas.  I keep one on the house at all times.  

Edited by lynn

On 1/31/2019 at 8:27 AM, Pegasus said:

What type of imaging did you have done?  I had a series of x-rays.  I've been told they won't be able to get insurance to pay for MRI unless I "fail" conservative treatment, such as physical therapy, first.

I had a series of X-Rays on both spine and hip.  And I also had MRI.  The MRI was not an issue for insurance, but I was also 6 months into PT at that point.