Menu

Cost of a room mural to be painted?

DawnM

We toured a house yesterday and they had a media/movie room that was so cool.   Someone had painted a dessert scene with Route 66 and cartoon characters, etc.....I will attach a picture.  

Oh, and it had fiber optic ceiling lights that looked like twinkling stars and even had shooting stars!  My husband actually said that he could do that (you can buy the kits) in our next house.  But I am wondering (ballpark) how much it would be to pay someone to paint a mural?   Any ideas?  I know it would depend on the room size, etc....but I think this room was about 13x13????  

Here are a couple of pictures.

Photo-58452648-27.jpg.85afcf969cd37b931b15d22686e4f892.jpg

Photo-58452648-28.jpg.2b21e60a9da8f2b0ce2912d370984818.jpg

Anyone have an idea?  

We actually can't afford the house we looked at yesterday, but I love looking at houses and getting ideas, and we wanted see it....it is in the area we like, and you never know, if it doesn't sell, it could come down in price enough!

• Like 1

Also depends on ability of the artist. There is a very good artist in our community who specializes in this sort of thing, and I have seen her work in a few houses (I am a tour guide for some of our historical homes). In one home that had her do recent work, one wall was $20,000 - it was over a month's work.

8 minutes ago, linders said:

Also depends on ability of the artist. There is a very good artist in our community who specializes in this sort of thing, and I have seen her work in a few houses (I am a tour guide for some of our historical homes). In one home that had her do recent work, one wall was $20,000 - it was over a month's work.

Definitely not talking about a well known artist for $20K and a month of work.  

Looking online for a mural artist, all I am finding is fairy forest type girly things......I wouldn't feel comfortable asking them to paint something like this because I would worry it wouldn't look good.

The other idea I had was to. have something painted with a film strip on the wall and then put up large movie posters and decor on the walls.  Unless I find someone competent and reasonable, I will prob do that.  

I also thought of trying to track down the owners of the house and asking them for the referral and cost.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, DawnM said:

Definitely not talking about a well known artist for $20K and a month of work.  

Looking online for a mural artist, all I am finding is fairy forest type girly things......I wouldn't feel comfortable asking them to paint something like this because I would worry it wouldn't look good.

The other idea I had was to. have something painted with a film strip on the wall and then put up large movie posters and decor on the walls.  Unless I find someone competent and reasonable, I will prob do that.  

I also thought of trying to track down the owners of the house and asking them for the referral and cost.

Love the film-strip-plus-movie-poster idea! And over time, you could even update with different movies.

I found this website for pricing, but I saw others where it was more like $20/sq ft. https://mariabrophy.com/business-of-art/how-to-price-a-wall-mural-developing-a-price-sheet-and-proposal.html

Edited by linders
  • Like 2

My mom moved into a house in Florida with a wall mural. We searched and found the artist's website. Mom's mural was the Oceanscape that included the owner's boat; she painted over it as it wasn't her style. It looks like the artist charges $25/square foot on average. I realize she isn't in your area, but maybe the price is a ballpark figure for you. 

http://www.ellensnyder.com/Gallery/Pages/Murals.html

42 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

Have you looked at wallpaper murals? We had thisone in our son’s room when he was little. They have tons of different designs and some look more painted/cartoonish than realistic. 

7E35D475-0087-4331-AB50-E8BE799F6288.jpeg

20D7F8AF-A036-4D1D-BED9-9CAAF0692361.jpeg

553E62AC-9255-4D7A-ADCD-BBB4786E4BDC.jpeg

Most of the homes we are looking at don't have just one flat large wall to put this on.  If you look at the photos, you will see this wouldn't work on any of the walls.  They all have alcoves, or windows, or whatever.  

I think this is going to vary dramatically depending on cola. This is one of those things that tends to be much cheaper (if you can find someone) in a low cola area, and where you can definitely find someone in a high cola area, but it'll really cost you to get someone decent.

I know a number of people who have had outdoor murals painted on their homes for a thousand dollars or so. But it's simpler than that because it's a small wall or space on a single wall - no need for that perspective on multiple walls thing.

54 minutes ago, Selkie said:

I like the ceiling - those twinkle lights are so pretty!

We liked them too and DH said he thought of doing that years ago.....he didn't bother telling ME!   He said he can do that part without an issue.  

You know, it might be cool to have those lights on more than just the ceiling.

One thing we discussed is that we aren't sure we want a room dedicated only to media/movies.  We like the movies idea and the theater seating, but we would want it to also be a hang out room, so we would prob go with sofas or a sectional.  But we still like the theater/movies theme.  One theater room I saw online had the back row as a barstool/table area, which would be great too for eating.  Although we may just go for TV trays!  HA!

The next house will be larger and more functional, which I am looking forward to.  Our house now is large enough but not the best layout, and it drives me crazy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

We liked them too and DH said he thought of doing that years ago.....he didn't bother telling ME!   He said he can do that part without an issue.  

You know, it might be cool to have those lights on more than just the ceiling.

One thing we discussed is that we aren't sure we want a room dedicated only to media/movies.  We like the movies idea and the theater seating, but we would want it to also be a hang out room, so we would prob go with sofas or a sectional.  But we still like the theater/movies theme.  One theater room I saw online had the back row as a barstool/table area, which would be great too for eating.  Although we may just go for TV trays!  HA!

The next house will be larger and more functional, which I am looking forward to.  Our house now is large enough but not the best layout, and it drives me crazy.

I love the look of a bar counter behind a couch for tv dining and extra, higher level, seating. 

With the wall decals, you don’t have to get a whole wall. You can get individual shapes to scatter about the room. At one point (after the beach theme) DS had a room that looked like he was inside a Mario game. There must be a grown-up version of that so you can put a image where you want without it being a single flat wall. Etsy might even have some home theatre wall stuff. 

2 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

I love the look of a bar counter behind a couch for tv dining and extra, higher level, seating. 

With the wall decals, you don’t have to get a whole wall. You can get individual shapes to scatter about the room. At one point (after the beach theme) DS had a room that looked like he was inside a Mario game. There must be a grown-up version of that so you can put a image where you want without it being a single flat wall. Etsy might even have some home theatre wall stuff. 

Thanks.  I really don't want decals.  I want painted or wall hangings of some sort.  It is a personal preference but I don't like the look of them.

4 hours ago, DawnM said:

Thanks.  I really don't want decals.  I want painted or wall hangings of some sort.  It is a personal preference but I don't like the look of them.

If you don’t hang these in your home I’ll be deeply offended!!!!😩

😜  I’m finished now.

89291C1B-1A5C-45E5-B748-9154767E731B.jpeg

FB8A7C50-7458-487A-8D62-D1140FA934DF.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

If you don’t hang these in your home I’ll be deeply offended!!!!😩

😜  I’m finished now.

89291C1B-1A5C-45E5-B748-9154767E731B.jpeg

FB8A7C50-7458-487A-8D62-D1140FA934DF.jpeg

I like the bottom one, but those aren't decals or wallpaper things, those are pictures.  

5 minutes ago, DawnM said:

I like the bottom one, but those aren't decals or wallpaper things, those are pictures.  

Uh huh. Giant poster/picture/photo montage thingies. They ALL were. I got distracted on a mural site and that was some of the stuff they had in the movie category. Annoying you was just more fun than laundry today. 🎥 🍿 

• Like 1