Menu

Adapted Classics for Elementary

I’m really struggling with the idea of using adapted versions of classic texts with my younger kids. I’ve always intended to, but earlier this year, I was challenged to “save” moments for my kids so that they could experience the joy of anticipation. As a parent, this resonated with me because I was so concerned about doing everything as soon as possible and making sure my girls enjoyed their childhood. But the idea of saving some things so they would be special later in life took a lot of pressure off and is something I’m now intentional about.

That being said, I started thinking about this concept in terms of school, specifically literature. I remember being a freshman in high school reading Tale of Two Cities for the first time (with an amazingly passionate teacher, which I’m sure helped!) and experiencing the story in its original text, the beauty of the language, Charles Dickens’ style and humor hidden within it, the redeeming qualities of Carton’s character as the story comes to a close... would the experience have been the same if I’d known the ending? I highly doubt it. Which makes me question whether or not I want my daughters to know the stories (by reading an adapted version) before experiencing the text in its entirety.

Undoubtedly, there are good adaptations available, but none are the originals. In the well-trained mind book, Jessie and Susan encourage the use of adapted texts so they are not intimidating in later years. But they also say that a child only gets to experience “The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe” for the first time ONCE. So why would I want that first experience to be with a knock- off of the original, an adapted version that lacks the style and rich language and depth that has made the story so beloved? 

For the most part, I agree. Mostly if I want to make literature more accessible for some reason (not uncommon in dd's younger years, because she has a language disorder,) I borrow a BBC production. She was self medicating with Dickens movies for a while. She needed the stories, while not having the reading level to read the originals. I looked them up the other week. I think they are only written at about a grade 6 level anyway.

I keep reading adults on the Buzzfeeds FB group talking about how they find classics like 'Little Women' too difficult to read, so I fully intend to keep reading books above her reading level. We've read adapted versions of Shakespeare, and Robin Hood (because they are fun) but generally, adapted versions of kids classics make me weep! '101 Dalmations' is not a hard book!

We try to avoid adapted texts.  Homer is one that I make an allowance for - in fact, we'll be seeing a production of the Odyssey this month at the theatre and we have a very well done book on the Trojan War.  And I do insist my kids read prose versions of Shakespeare before we see the plays/dissect them.  But for the most part, there is so much rich and appropriate children's literature that we don't find adaptations necessary.  Most of our 'adaptations' are the original text with beautiful illustrations added to give clarity.

I think some it it depends on the individual child.  One of my kiddos was a strong reader, but intimidated by longer books without pictures.  He was content to read Magic Tree House and Kingdom of Wrenly books, but was reluctant to make the jump to even James and the Giant Peach or anything with more pages and less pictures.  I managed to convince him to try some Great Illustrated Classics, and while they are certainly not the great literature of the originals, I figured abridged, adapted versions of The Wizard of Oz or Gulliver's Travels had to be at least as good as another stilted, insipid, predictable Magic Tree House story.

This particular child has ASD, so I actually think reading the illustrated versions of some stories, which was "easy" and low-commitment, is easing his way into reading the original versions.  I just gave him a list of choices of what to read next, and he chose Around the World in 80 Days (the original version), which he read as a Great Illustrated Classic several years ago.  He seems to find comfort in reading a story that is familiar (and therefore not as anxiety-producing), and be willing and able to engage in the more difficult text because he is already comfortable with the plot.

Wendy