Menu

Breast cancer diagnosis 2nd opinion? (Minor Update Oct 22nd)

Arcadia

9 hours ago, Arcadia said:

I don’t know what the statistics are but the original lump at first MRI was 3.2 x 4.4 x 5.8 cm.

My layperson's understanding, at least for the type of cancer DH has, is that an increase/decrease of 30% is what generally really catches an oncologist's attention. What I'm not clear on is if they simply compare the largest points (probably not) or do some sort of complicated volume/perimeter calculation (more likely, I'm guessing). But either way -- your decrease seems really huge!!

• Like 1

That's great news! I hope you are feeling better.

I don't remember if my own doctor ever answered the question on whether a lump can grow to 3-5 cm within a year. That's always in the back of my mind how fast it happens. I never had a mammo until the doctor felt the lump, which was smaller than yours but still large enough to be shocking that it could grow to that point. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, crazyforlatin said:

I don't remember if my own doctor ever answered the question on whether a lump can grow to 3-5 cm within a year. That's always in the back of my mind how fast it happens.

My KI67 was high on the PAMF report which means my lump is supposedly faster growing. I think my lump first became obvious around October and it felt like dead tissue from an impact injury. First MRI was on Feb 1st at Stanford and was about the same size as estimated in early January during my well women checkup. My guess is that it grew about 2cm from October to January. While my oncologist monitors the lump size with regards to chemotherapy,  it is my oncologist surgeon who is more concerned and detailed/specific about the lump size with regards to surgery.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

All good vibes going your way, fellow warrior! 

When surgery is over, do the exercises as soon and as regularly as you possibly can so your range of motion will not be permanently hampered. Some of the negative effects I went through may have been curtailed if I had understood that sooner. 

ETA: I like the short videos by Miranda Esmonde-White. I don’t know how to link a YouTube because it goes to the app. But I am surre you can find it with her name. 

Edited by Quill
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks!!!

Was done around 6pm. Was very sleepy on the ride home to get our kids and go out for dinner. No nausea or dizziness 🙂 Pain is mild and prescription is ready so picking that up at the pharmacy (they close at 9pm) before going home. 

The nurses asked if I have latex allergy. I have mild reaction to latex bandages so the nurse put the latex allergy wrist band on me just in case. The OR nurse says they don’t use latex anymore anyway.

Edited by Arcadia
Typing mistakes
  • Like 15

Just now, Arcadia said:

Thanks!!!

Was done around 6pm. Was very sleepy on the ride home to get our kids and go out for dinner. No nausea or dizziness 🙂 Pain is mild and prescription is ready so picking that up at the pharmacy (they close at 9pm) before going home. 

The nurses asked if I have latex allergy. I have mild reaction to latex bandage so they nurse put the latex allergy wrist band on me just in case. The OR nurse says they don’t use latex anymore anyway.

So glad to hear from you! I wish you a speedy recovery. 

I hope the ladies and gents here have some juicy posts to entertain you while you rest.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2019 at 9:17 AM, Quill said:

ETA: I like the short videos by Miranda Esmonde-White. I don’t know how to link a YouTube because it goes to the app. But I am surre you can find it with her name. 

Found this by Miranda Esmonde-White http://www.breastcancerrehabilitation.com/technique.html (webpage) and http://www.breastcancerrehabilitation.com/KeyExercises.pdf (poster PDF)

and this by Canadian Cancer Society (PDF) https://www.cancer.ca/~/media/cancer.ca/CW/publications/Exercises after breast surgery/32071-1-NO.pdf

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Yes, the video in the first link is the one I did many times per day after I developed axillary web syndrome. I wish I had known about this before I got AWS, but I’m glad I learned about it when I did.

Now I do yoga most days and use weights three times a week. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

How are you feeling, Arcadia?

Thinking of you and wishing you all the best 🌻

Thanks. Went to get DS14 dual enrolled this morning for the two classes he wanted to take as there were some held ups with his online application (someone in admin didn’t check the correct boxes for the paperwork we submitted).  Walked about 1.7km and five flights of stairs today, hoping to walk more later and tomorrow. No nausea, mild dizziness and mild pain 🙂 

• Like 7

Don't push things, you still are getting the anesthesia out of your system, and your body needs to use its energy for healing. So don't be sedentary, but don't overdo it either. Short walks, frequently are probably better than longer outings if possible. 

And lots of good food!

• Like 2

On 7/31/2019 at 1:17 AM, Quill said:

Yes, the video in the first link is the one I did many times per day after I developed axillary web syndrome. I wish I had known about this before I got AWS, but I’m glad I learned about it when I did.

I think I do have AWS. The cording is on the chest area in between the lumpectomy wound and lymph node wound. My post surgery appointment is tomorrow so I’ll ask my surgeon about it. I don’t dare to massage or apply heat/cold packs to the cording area as my steri strips and JP drainage system isn’t removed yet.

Her exercises are similar to what I already do before I started chemo. Most of the exercises were part of my college dorm track and field team warm up routine.

ETA:

The chest area cording is actually the drainage pipe and not a cording.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 2

It’s a pathologic complete response (pCR) 🙂

ETA:

Wounds healing well. Small cording near the lymph node wound. Next step is meeting the radiation team in a month for planning. Will be having herceptin IV next week on a 3 week cycle for preventive maintenance. (ETA: Herceptin starts in 4 weeks time instead as it waits for post surgery recovery)

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 5

Met with the radiation oncologist just now. Radiation treatment would be 3 weeks in length.  🙂 Very happy as we were initially told to expect 4 to 6 weeks of radiation treatment after lumpectomy. 15 days is a lot less disruptive.

Next appointment would be to get the mold for the radiation done as well as a simple CT scan with the mold in the same appointment.

• Like 13

2 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Met with the radiation oncologist just now. Radiation treatment would be 3 weeks in length.  🙂 Very happy as we were initially told to expect 4 to 6 weeks of radiation treatment after lumpectomy. 15 days is a lot less disruptive.

Next appointment would be to get the mold for the radiation done as well as a simple CT scan with the mold in the same appointment.

Heads up that if you are highly sensitive to smell, you might want to think about aromatherapy to keep in your purse for before and after. One of the harder bits for dd to cope with was the smell of things burning that starts by the end of week 2. No one really talks about that in the planning meeting but if you would like to order something, I wanted to give you a heads up. Dd alternated oils and put a dab of diluted peppermint or citrus (bergamot? I can't remember...) at the end of her nose. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Heads up that if you are highly sensitive to smell, you might want to think about aromatherapy to keep in your purse for before and after. 

Thanks. I am highly sensitive to smells. I have the Vick’s non-medicated inhaler which I use as a nasal decongestant during hay fever season. I am also going to get myself an appointment with a pulmonologist as radiation would cause lung scarring (estimated at 10% of right lung) and I have a history of asthma. I’m already max out on out of pocket for my insurance so now is the best time to get established as a patient with a pulmonologist and allergist. 

Edited by Arcadia
Typing errors
  • Like 2

Finished my radiation treatment yesterday. Mine was 15 treatments so time went by fast compared to the chemotherapy stage. Now all I have left is echocardiogram every 3 months, oncologist visit and herceptin (trastuzumab) IV every 3 weeks. 

For autoimmune blood tests, only my ESR was slightly elevated. The ANA, C3a and C4a are all in standard range while the RH factor is negative. I have joint pains that started a few weeks before lumpectomy so those blood tests were done four weeks ago but the C3a and C4a results came back after more than three weeks. 

• Like 16

@Arcadia, for how long do you have to continue going back for herceptin? 

I’m glad your radiation is over. Did your skin hold up okay for that? Mine was like a bad sunburn and my n*pple is still not really normal, but overall, it was okay. 

20 minutes ago, Quill said:

@Arcadia, for how long do you have to continue going back for herceptin? 

I’m glad your radiation is over. Did your skin hold up okay for that? Mine was like a bad sunburn and my n*pple is still not really normal, but overall, it was okay. 

My herceptin is suppose to be for a year but could potentially be shortened to six months (my preference). 

My radiation area’s sunburn was very mild and the radiation oncologist was pleasantly surprised. I did slather on lots of Vaseline before bed. The radiation oncologist recommended Aquaphor because it’s easier to wash off then Vaseline but I have Vaseline in the house so didn’t want to buy Aquaphor. My n*pple wasn’t affected by the radiation and the lumpectomy incision at the n*pple border is healing very well.

My radiation oncologist did tell me to massage the scar tissue for 5mins daily but I don’t usually remember to do so.

I got a nice souvenir too for completing the radiation treatment. They give to every radiation patient. Photo was taken in the public bus on the way home so the lighting wasn’t great.

ETA:

My hair is now about 2cm long (less than an inch).

158E74A8-0461-409A-BB9D-4D78CFF19A06.jpeg

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

Massaging the scar tissue is a good idea and does help, though it’s certainly not pleasant. My PT did scar massage and I was supposed to daily. (I didnt do it daily.) I have a tub of Shea Butter lotion a friend gave me, which worked well to help my fingers glide over the skin. 

• Like 1