Menu
Jump to content

What's with the ads?

Arcadia

Breast cancer diagnosis 2nd opinion? (Updated 15th August)

Recommended Posts

On 1/27/2019 at 1:16 PM, Arcadia said:

Update:

Will be getting MRI done this Friday and PET scan done on Monday. Then next appointment with oncologist. Tentative treatment is chemotherapy followed by surgery followed by radiation therapy.

Prayers and Positive Thoughts very much appreciated. 

 

 

I am just curious why surgery is not the first step so they can see everything and analyze grade and stage then evaluate for possible chemo and radiation?

ETA: Just saw you got a grade.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Liz CA said:

 

I am just curious why surgery is not the first step so they can see everything and analyze grade and stage then evaluate for possible chemo and radiation?

ETA: Just saw you got a grade.

Agreeing...in my case, it was this order>>Mammo and u/s…>biopsy and diagnosis…>MRI…>surgery…>analysis of tumor, lymph nodes and margins…>from this, it was determined no chemo…>radiation. If chemo had been rec’d, it would have been before radiation, but after surgery, because the surgery allowed them to do the tumor test to determine probability of chemo. 

Grade 3 is a difference from mine, though. 

(((hugs)))) to you, Arcadia. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my sister's case (stage 3, high grade), she had chemo before surgery because the chemo was able to halt and shrink the tumor growth so much that less in the way of surgery was required. My understanding is that you would normally do surgery first when the cancer is not as advanced or is growing less rapidly. 

Edited by SeaConquest
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Liz CA said:

 

I am just curious why surgery is not the first step so they can see everything and analyze grade and stage then evaluate for possible chemo and radiation?

 

If the tumor shrinks, the patient may be able to have a lumpectomy instead of a masectomy. Also gives an idea of how effective the particular type of chemo is.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, HeighHo said:

 

If the tumor shrinks, the patient may be able to have a lumpectomy instead of a masectomy. Also gives an idea of how effective the particular type of chemo is.

 

I suppose that is the reason, even though getting chemo is not a walk in the park for most people and comes with side effects. I am personally rather conflicted about this but this does not belong in this thread.

Edited by Liz CA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Liz CA said:

I am just curious why surgery is not the first step so they can see everything and analyze grade and stage then evaluate for possible chemo and radiation?

 

1 hour ago, Quill said:

Agreeing...

 

My KI-67 is unfortunately high as well. That’s why chemo first was put forth.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sending hugs and prayers.........I am glad to hear that a plan seems to be coming together quickly for treatment.  The chemo first is good I believe, have heard of good outcomes.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My HER2 results was negative but after review by Stanford Healthcare is now classify as borderline. They have put in a request for FISH to be done. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am so glad you went to Stanford. It sounds like your first pathologist misclassified your IHC test. I would trust Stanford not to make the same mistake with the FISH testing. Even if you are HER2 positive, the treatments have come a long way in targeting those receptors. Stay positive. You are in good hands, Arcadia.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update: FISH testing results is HER2 positive

also saw clinical stage 2B on my oncologist patient visit notes.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was just reading about how HER2 positive breast cancer is actually getting a really good prognosis because we have drugs now to specifically target the HER2 hormone. (read at Mayo clinic, not weird internet rumor)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

4th update: chemotherapy of six cycles of 21 days apart starting next week. 

Sending encouraging thoughts, Arcadia. Stay strong.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sending many positive thoughts and wishes for you, Arcadia.  I'm sorry you have to go through this.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/27/2019 at 1:16 PM, Arcadia said:

Update:

Will be getting MRI done this Friday and PET scan done on Monday (ETA: changed to Wednesday due to insurance authorization). Then next appointment with oncologist. Tentative treatment is chemotherapy followed by surgery followed by radiation therapy.

Prayers and Positive Thoughts very much appreciated. 

2nd update:

her2-neu results revised from negative to borderline after review by Stanford 

3rd update: FISH testing results is HER2 positive

also saw clinical stage 2B on my oncologist patient visit notes.

4th update: chemotherapy of six cycles of 21 days apart starting next week. 

 

Praying for you still, and available to help out as needed.  (I will be out of state all next week but have no travel plans out of the area after that until late May.)

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

4th update: chemotherapy of six cycles of 21 days apart starting next week. 

Wishing you strength and healing from my side of the country. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not exactly sure what the results mean, but I’ll be praying for your complete recovery, and also that chemo isn’t too hard on you. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am glad to hear things are moving right along with the treatment plan.  

Chemo these days is not what it was in our parents' day.  Your nurses wil be quite helpful.

Sending you healing thoughts.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2B is good news, Arcadia! I mean, all things considered. So so treatable. I am thinking of you and praying for a speedy recovery. You can do this!  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, sounds like it's a really good thing you went to Stanford. Sounds like they are dialing in on exactly what treatment you need. Praying all is successful and not too hard on you.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One other quick thought: Take your nausea meds *before* you feel nauseous! I decided to tough it out the first week, and I went from feeling fine after the treatment to severe yuckiness in a heartbeat...After that I took my meds as soon as allowed after treatments, & I didn't have any more queasiness.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Kathy in Richmond said:

One other quick thought: Take your nausea meds *before* you feel nauseous! 

 

I think my oncologist says to take the day before, the day itself and the day after. The instruction is in my patient visit notes online. 

I am just thankful MRI and PET/CT scan didn’t show anything worse. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

I am just thankful MRI and PET/CT scan didn’t show anything worse. 

So thankful to hear this! You have been on my mind a lot lately ...I know how it feels to wait for those results.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MRI and CT scan tomorrow. Would appreciate prayers and positive thoughts.

Had my 6th round of THCP chemo on Tuesday. I opt not to have a port so all 6 was through IV.

Next up is MRI, CT scan, Ultrasound mammogram, pre-surgery appointment, surgery then tentatively a year of Herceptin.

ETA:

Both the recent echocardiogram and the first echocardiogram three months were okay. Next echocardiogram in three months time.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 22

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Prayers and positive thoughts heading your way now!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've also been wondering how things were going for you, Arcadia.

Hugs ...

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...