Menu

Book a Week 2019 - BW5: 52 Books Bingo - Something Flufferton

Robin M

Books ....

Flufferton is never hard to delve into for me, just finished another Heyer title.  Books completed, sharing Jan's newly completed titles, as it's Feb tomorrow.

Q:  If you start a book right near the end of one month (Jan), and complete it in the next month (Feb) where do you count it as being read (Jan or Feb)?         (Sip reads are a different kettle of fish, for the last 10 years I've always counted them as read in the month and the year I actually finish them.  Some take me years (!) to get through 😋

• Mid Dec – Jan 27/19   Cranford ~ Elizabeth Gaskell  (4.5)  Classic.  Lovely audio book.  Blogged review
  • Jan 28-30  The Unfinished Clue ~ Georgette Heyer, narrated by Clifford Norgate  pub 1933 (audio pub 2001) (4) Repeat listen.  Perfect narrator for this story.  Just love Lola, she’s shockingly funny in this very British setting (WWII).   Extra for those that like to know things like this too: emotional adultery, and, Camilla swaps her favours for cash.  The murder victim is an abusive bully.
  • Jan 17-30      I=   A Change of Heir ~ Michael Innes  pub 1984  (epukapuka) (1.5Goodreads review     I did enjoy some of the words that Innes penned and are not in use in my daily vocabulary:  mendicancy, senescence, cogency, exiguous, euphonious, sacerdotal, circumambulated  🙂
  • Jan 25-31    Symbols ~ Joseph Piercy   (3)    This lite encouraged me to go research Jim Thorpe ( For non-US BaWers ... He was a Native American athlete stripped, undeservedly, of his medals.)
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, tuesdayschild said:

Books ....

Flufferton is never hard to delve into for me, just finished another Heyer title.  Books completed, sharing Jan's newly completed titles, as it's Feb tomorrow.

Q:  If you start a book right near the end of one month (Jan), and complete it in the next month (Feb) where do you count it as being read (Jan or Feb)?         (Sip reads are a different kettle of fish, for the last 10 years I've always counted them as read in the month and the year I actually finish them.  Some take me years (!) to get through 😋

• Mid Dec – Jan 27/19   Cranford ~ Elizabeth Gaskell  (4.5)  Classic.  Lovely audio book.  Blogged review
  • Jan 28-30  The Unfinished Clue ~ Georgette Heyer, narrated by Clifford Norgate  pub 1933 (audio pub 2001) (4) Repeat listen.  Perfect narrator for this story.  Just love Lola, she’s shockingly funny in this very British setting (WWII).   Extra for those that like to know things like this too: emotional adultery, and, Camilla swaps her favours for cash.  The murder victim is an abusive bully.
  • Jan 17-30      I=   A Change of Heir ~ Michael Innes  pub 1984  (epukapuka) (1.5Goodreads review     I did enjoy some of the words that Innes penned and are not in use in my daily vocabulary:  mendicancy, senescence, cogency, exiguous, euphonious, sacerdotal, circumambulated  🙂
  • Jan 25-31    Symbols ~ Joseph Piercy   (3)    This lite encouraged me to go research Jim Thorpe ( For non-US BaWers ... He was a Native American athlete stripped, undeservedly, of his medals.)

I normally move them into the next month unless there is a spelling type challenge that I still need to complete from the prior month.

🤔Circumambulated........definitely not an everyday conversational word.  😂It is actually in my spell check.  Great words.

• Like 5

I made sure I read through this week's thread. I have found that I need to make time to read the posts. If I jump in to leave a quick post, I rarely make it back to catch up and that's not the kind of cyberfriend I want to be.

Tuesdayschild - I'm glad you're feeling better and that your DH and DS weren't injured. I hope the insurance co moves swiftly and your family is back on the road soon.

Matroyshka - I hope your toe heals quickly. I know all too well the pain and trouble of broken toes (big and small).

I don't have any flufferton on hand but did enjoy reading the description of flufferton and will now try to use flufferton in conversation.

I managed to read a book a week in January and am quite pleased with myself for doing so. For February, I will continue reading Charles Dickens' biography. Since I'm continuing my no spend reading challenge, I'm selecting books off of my shelves. Also, since I just read a chunky book (582 pages), I want something short. I have decided to read The Burning Girl by Claire Messud. It has received mixed reviews on Goodreads but I received it free from the local library as a summer reading prize last year.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, mumto2 said:

I normally move them into the next month unless there is a spelling type challenge that I still need to complete from the prior month.

🤔Circumambulated........definitely not an everyday conversational word.  😂It is actually in my spell check.  Great words.

Right.  Might switch to your method, I've been counting them as 'read' in the month started not finished.

Grin.  My Dd took the dog & I for circumambulation around our small street block today.  Glad your spell checker knew it 😉  I thought they were too.

15 hours ago, The Accidental Coach said:

Since I'm continuing my no spend reading challenge

You're an amazing inspiration!    I try to go on a no-spend book run once we're past February. We're right in book buying season with Dd back to schooling soon - her last year at highschool level - and a few just happened to get added to the cart for me .

Just had to share today's book, Jonathan Auxier is one of Dd's enjoyed authors and I think this one would make a great read-aloud:

Sweep: The Story of a Girl and Her Monster ~ Jonathan Auxier  (5)   Juvenile Fiction (epukapuka)  A clever, beautiful, poignant story about love and loss which was woven amongst the dark tapestry of chimney sweeps' lives in Victorian London.  I loved Auxier’s soot golem, Charlie.  (The endnotes and book recommendations add an extra layer to this work of art by Jonathan Auxier.)        Possible triggers for those with sensitive young listeners: the death of parents, and, a child,  another child is sold by his parents to a sweep, sacrificial love (giving one’s life to save/protect a loved one).

• Like 4

I've finished a few books recently.

I enjoyed Sarina Bowen's Overnight Sensation though it does not replace my favorite of her books. (Adult content)

"There's this girl... 
Heidi and I have been trading hungry looks all year, and everything she does makes me smile. But I don't do girlfriends, and I certainly can't get involved with the league commissioner's daughter. I need shots on goal, not a hookup and a widely misunderstood paparazzi photo.
Can I resist her, though? The way she teases me should be a game penalty for interference with my libido. 

There's this guy...
Jason wants me, but he won't admit it. That man looks at me the way a hockey player eyes the lunch buffet after practice--and I love it.
But when victory is finally within my grasp, I blow it and humiliate myself. Even then I can't even avoid him--as the team intern, I'm in constant view of his hard body and cocky smile.
I need another chance. Jason Castro is about to learn the true meaning of an overnight sensation."

I also reread with pleasure Anne Bishop's Murder of Crows and Vision In Silver.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kareni said:

I also reread with pleasure Anne Bishop's Murder of Crows and Vision In Silver.

😍I am partway through listening to Vision in Silver.  I am loving this reread.......btw these books are a fairly clean read if anyone has a teen who wants to try something a paranormal......these books are sort of their own special category.  Dd read them as they appeared and she was a very gentle reader in terms of adult scenes.

Eta:  Preread past Written in Red before handing these over.  The violence level increases as the series continues and uncomfortable topics do live in the background.

I just finished my first book for my Asian Detective 10X10,  The Perplexing Case of the Jewel in the Crown https://www.goodreads.com/series/162646-baby-ganesh-agency-investigation.  Baby Ganesh is a baby elephant and his presence in these books makes them entertaining.......they are a 3* read with a serious cuteness factor.  

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, mumto2 said:

😍I am partway through listening to Vision in Silver.  I am loving this reread.......btw these books are a fairly clean read if anyone has a young teen who wants to try something a paranormal......these books are sort of their own special category.  Dd read them as they appeared and she was a very gentle reader in terms of adult scenes.

I agree that there is little intimacy shown; however, there is plenty of violence and gore. (And thinking further on the matter there is much off-page sexual violence against the cassandra sangue.)

I've been encouraging my daughter to read the series as I think she'll quite enjoy them. My husband started the series over the summer and zipped through them.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Kareni said:

I agree that there is little intimacy shown; however, there is plenty of violence and gore. (And thinking further on the matter there is much off-page sexual violence against the cassandra sangue.)

I've been encouraging my daughter to read the series as I think she'll quite enjoy them. My husband started the series over the summer and zipped through them.

Regards,

Kareni

At the point I handed it over there was only Written in Red and I was going up against “everyone but me has read Twilight” which I think is so inappropriate for the age preteen age group it attracts.  My daughter trusted my judgement and kept saying no thanks but one of her friends eventually became determined she read it and made her life a bit uncomfortable for awhile.  I found a couple of books that I knew Dd could handle (Written in Red and Eyre Affair) which won the who reads cooler stuff game that Dd seemed to be  in the middle of with that group. 

Side note..... I had forgotten much of the back story which is appearing this evening as I listen.  I have to say at least the others are completely appalled about the bags in the lakes. 

So everyone read these first before offering to your teens!

• Like 1

This week I finished pre-reading 3 books for my older girls.  Almost all of my reading at this point is pre-reading for my kids.  I'm trying to read through a lot of classics.  I'm currently working through The Red Badge of Courage (meh, so far) and The Man in the Iron Mask (loving this!).

What I finished:

America in the 1970s by Marlee Richards -- This is an excellent series that I worked through with ds18 when he was in high school.  We checked these out of the library (and renewed them) so often that I eventually just bought them.  Each book has chapters about politics, economics, and culture.

Speak Love by Annie F. Downs -- This was an ok book aimed at teen girls to teach them that we should use our words to build others up rather than tear them down.  

Anne Bradstreet by D.B. Kellogg -- I enjoyed this biography about a Puritan poet that I previously knew little about.  Some of the book was more of a history of New England, but it painted a backdrop for her life.  The author surmises that some of her poetry was written as a tool to educate her children (whom she taught to read and write.)  An early homeschooler writing her own curriculum!!

• Like 2

I finished The Burning Girl this week. I had shelved this as abandoned last year but left it in my TBR pile. Since I'm continuing my No Spend Reading challenge, I chose to read something off my nightstand and this book was nice and short (246 pages). The copy I have is an Advanced Reading Copy and is unedited. The book has since been edited and published. I gave it 3 stars but could probably push it up to 4. It's not a unique book - follows the typical coming-of-age paradigm - but I did enjoy the real life writing. There are no ugly-duckling transformations, no heroic deeds met with undying gratitude, no wealthy relatives bequeathing untold fortunes Just a bunch of stuff that could happen in a teenager's life.

Now off to figure out what my next read will be.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mumto2 said:

Side note..... I had forgotten much of the back story which is appearing this evening as I listen.  I have to say at least the others are completely appalled about the bags in the lakes. 

I have to admit that the series does often remind you of man's inhumanity to man (and Others).

I'm glad your daughter enjoyed the series. My daughter and I also liked The Eyre Affair.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1