Menu

Can we share smart, little habits that make a difference?

Alicia64

I really look forward to my first cup of coffee in the morning.  A couple of months ago, I started forcing myself to unload the dishwasher and start a load of laundry while it’s brewing.  Now, it’s a habit.

I work for a few hours in the evening and I’ve started to immediately clean and straighten my kitchen as soon as I get home for the evening before I go and chill out.

I think I may try adding in cleaning the bathrooms each morning after I’ve gotten dressed.  Or maybe right before?

• Like 1

I take screenshots/pics of everything. Email with an important date? Screen shot. See a book I want to remember to get at the library? Picture of the cover. 

For some reason, it's easier than going searching through old emails or jotting notes/reminders. Having the picture on my phone works -- I just delete when that task is completed. 

• Like 12

27 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

I take screenshots/pics of everything. Email with an important date? Screen shot. See a book I want to remember to get at the library? Picture of the cover. 

For some reason, it's easier than going searching through old emails or jotting notes/reminders. Having the picture on my phone works -- I just delete when that task is completed. 

I am going to try this!

1 hour ago, alisoncooks said:

I do this too!

Edited by 1GirlTwinBoys

1 hour ago, alisoncooks said:

I do this too and it's been life-changing for me. I used to print stuff out or write it down, and then I'd either lose the paper or forget where I put it. Now I take pics or screenshots of everything: photos of membership cards, photo of the new orthodontist's website with the address & phone number, photos of airline/hotel/car reservations, photos of books to check out of the library or specific sale items to pick up at the store, photos of the kids' class and competition schedules, photos of any important pieces of paper I might lose (like a FedEx tracking receipt), photos of my parking place... 

18 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

I do this too and it's been life-changing for me. I used to print stuff out or write it down, and then I'd either lose the paper or forget where I put it. Now I take pics or screenshots of everything: photos of membership cards, photo of the new orthodontist's website with the address & phone number, photos of airline/hotel/car reservations, photos of books to check out of the library or specific sale items to pick up at the store, photos of the kids' class and competition schedules, photos of any important pieces of paper I might lose (like a FedEx tracking receipt), photos of my parking place... 

Yep! My most recent photos were of a specific cleaning product I wanted to remember to grab next time, an order confirmation #, a book my child saw and wanted at B&N, and a parking spot number. My memory may be going but TG for camera phones!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

I take a photo of where I park my car, so that I can see the level/aisle colour-coding or letter or number or some identifying sign. I'm hopeless at remembering where I park.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

I take a photo of where I park my car, so that I can see the level/aisle colour-coding or letter or number or some identifying sign. I'm hopeless at remembering where I park.

I do this, too. I've also been known to ask one of the kids with me to send me a Google pin so Google can take me straight there when I park downtown.

• Haha 1

I take the hangers downstairs with the dirty laundry so I can put clean laundry on the hangers as soon as the dryer buzzes. 
If I'm not going to be downstairs to hear the dryer buzzer I set an alarm on my phone and put it in my pocket so I can still get it out of the dryer right away when it's done.  I only iron for special situations and when I quilt.
When I wash all the bedding I wash it in the order it goes on the bed so I can make the bed in stages as each load is done.
I clean the fridge and freezer out first, then I straighten up the pantry, then I know what I have on hand and need to use up, then I meal plan and grocery shop.
When I try a new recipe from the book and decide it's a keeper, I cut/print out the page, put it in a plastic paper cover, and put it in my tried and true recipe 3 ring binder so that all my sure bets are in one place.
I get gas on the way home from the grocery store.

• Like 3

I've got two that stack on each other:

1. If I see my water glass is empty, I have to refill it.

2. Each time I refill my water I do some simple back/shoulder stretches and eye stretches.

I do a lot of sitting at the computer and I'll always forget to stop every X minutes to stretch and relax, so at least this way I'm doing it consistently throughout the day. 

• Like 1

I double the recipes that I cook for dinner from Wednesday to Friday. I only make freezer friendly dishes on those days. That way, I can have different main courses available for the weekend when our whole family heads out for sports, enrichment classes, grocery shoppings, outings etc. I usually have a hard time balancing everyone's schedule with mealtimes, prepping and cooking and we all end up eating out 3 times each weekend which is not ideal because of food restrictions and time consuming. Now, all I need to do is to heat and serve lunch or dinner.

I also take a shopping bag with my son's math books, answer keys and color pens in my cars when I head out to appointments or when I wait for sports practice to end. I can grade all the problems while I wait which frees up home time for other things.

• Like 4

On 1/28/2019 at 4:19 AM, Margaret in CO said:

Always keep the trash email folder cleaned out! And sort stuff and put it in folders so you don't end up with over 200 things on your desktop, unable to find anything. And then blame everyone else, even though NO one else uses that computer. 

Always put every receipt away the DAY you get it. In the correct envelope for the month. Rather than piling them up on the dashboard of the truck where they get lost. It really does save time when you CASH the entire year's income check rather than throwing it on the dashboard where it falls down the defroster vent and you find it 10 years later as the defroster has never really worked well. 

Write in checks so as not to leave the spouse wondering where and what something was. Circle deductible things for medical expenses.

Actually READ the email from your senior patrol leader, not assuming he covered everything when he didn't. 

When someone tells you that this car doesn't have so and so, believe the owner or you have to lie down in 3' of snow because you're bound and determined that you're going to hook up to the nonexistent item. 

Corollary: when the owner says that the battery is on this side, believe that owner. Ditto with the gas tank. 

Think ahead for what you need for the next meeting, so as not to be running around like a chicken with no head, wasting gas and time (and being late). Look at the entire day at 0630 and think about what you'll be doing 12 hours later. So much easier. 

Don't have a trash sack in your truck, which of course gets filled and then overflows. TAKE OUT THE TRASH every time you park, since you're in front of the trash container anyway. 

Don't allow children to eat in the car. 

Look at the recycle symbol on the bottom of the container. We can only recycle #1 & #2. If you throw everything in there, you have to sort, and that wastes time. 

Don't throw grain and pet food bags on the floor, but walk 10 feet and throw them in the trash container. Do it every time you empty one or you end up with the entire trash container full and you can't put the week's trash in there. 

Another thing we've found helpful: check for bears before you take the trash out. If you drop it and run, the bear makes a mess with it. 

I laughed in my reaction because your life is so very, very different from mine!

• Like 1

We don't get mail anymore, but I used to look thru it on the long walk down my driveway and pitch junk mail (unless I wanted to look thru a catalog for fun or something) in the big outside trash cans before coming into the house. 

I get up after dh is gone now (for the first time in, IDK, 30 years?). While the coffee brews, I throw in laundry, do any dishes I left overnight (sometimes I'm lazy, sometimes I'm rebelling, sometimes, I just don't wanna do them at night) and make my bed (just a duvet that I pick up, fling in the air, and let it land on the bed--boom! done). I race the clock a little to get done before morning Mass is over and dh comes home for breakfast. It's fun. Kinda. 

I love reading your habits--I'm not good at habits and these are helpful. 

Monday is garbage day, so it’s also clean the fridge day and is supposed to be grocery day. (My food shopping tends to get off track in the winter because of weather.) That helps to keep old food/leftovers from being left to rot, gets the shelves cleaned when they’re the least packed, and gets the new food into a drip-free space.

• Like 2

When I was young my mom gave us all nail polish dots to mark our clothes.  Oldest child got 1 small dot on the collar, waistband, or toe.  Second got 2 dots.  Third got 3 dots.  And so on.  As clothes were passed down a new dot was added so it was always easy to tell who owned what.

• Like 7

I started reading one of the habit books.  I now realize some good habits I have are ones so habitual I didn’t think of them at first.

I do the point and call routine for a variety of things.  (People look at me like I’m nuts.) I was happy to read that it is a thing utilized to reduce errors on Japan train system.

Anyway I point and call things like, “keys, wallet, glasses, cellphone” when leaving house.  Or “stove off, dog water full, thermostat down” when heading to bed.    

Now that I realize it’s a “thing” and since it has worked for me for years, I think I’ll add to it deliberately for other little routines.  Perhaps try it also to help counter some bad habits.

• Like 3

Toilet paper is stored in the hallway upstairs, I only keep a couple of extra rolls in the bathroom.  If I am using the last roll, I won't put it on the roller until I've replenished the supply.  I keep noticing it sitting on the counter instead and and it reminds me to go get more.  When DH forgets and puts it on the roller, no one replenishes and we get stuck with no toilet paper!

On 1/28/2019 at 6:56 AM, chiguirre said:

I pick up a shopping cart from the handicapped parking spaces on my way into a store. There's almost always one that someone couldn't put away and it's a painless way to make someone else's day easier.

Thanks for doing that!  What is wrong with people? 👿

7 hours ago, Chris in VA said:

I laughed in my reaction because your life is so very, very different from mine!

I had the same reaction, I have no idea what a chicken bucket, patrol leader, and a year's income check are. There was also something else about sidewalk shoveling that I didn't understand. 🙂

ETA: And interfacing. What is that? I feel like a child.

Edited by SeaConquest
  • Like 1

The best habit I ever formed in this family is that anytime we are about to sit down to watch tv we clean for 10 minutes.  It is amazing how much 5 people can get done in ten minutes. This is basically the only cleaning my children do but it makes a huge impact on the upkeep of the house cleaning.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Margaret in CO said:

Chicken bucket: bucket that sits on the counter that all scraps go into...for the chickens! I suppose some people compost them. 

patrol leader: young man who leads the Scout troop. The Scoutmaster is supposed to be behind the scenes, nagging, reminding, cajoling him to get things done. 

year's income: when you sell the calves in the fall--your entire income for the YEAR comes in one check. The calves go through auction, as you pray, they cut the check, and ideally, you put that check in the bank. And then pay off all those bills you've been ignoring for months. Of course, once you pay off all those bills means you're basically broke for 11 months. Lather, rinse, repeat. The life of a rancher. The question becomes: WHY do we do this? 

interfacing: the iron-on or sew-in stuff that goes between the layers of fabric when you're sewing so the garment holds its shape. It's just one more step. It's like threading the serger--if you do it right then, when you have a few minutes to sew, you're ready to go. It's discouraging to try to start, knowing you have to thread the serger--it's a pain. This is my serger: https://www.ebay.com/p/Janome-MyLock-634D-Mechanical-Sewing-Machine/62353497?iid=352328530910&chn=ps Only mine isn't self-threading. It's too old for those fancy things!

Oh, you are awesome. Thank you. I admire your self-sufficiency. You really do seem like a *real* grown up to me. 🙂

For certain products we buy repeatedly, I write the item on the shopping list (or just go ahead & immediately order it from amazon) when I pull the last one out of the pantry or cabinet. The dc have been trained to tell me when they take the last one of something so it will go on the list. That way, we don't run out (even if I don't get around to purchasing it for a week or a few...). This is for things like sugar cubes (which I have a hard time finding in the store & ds uses them for coffee, so I purchase a 3-pack from amazon), deodorant, toothpaste, etc.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Pen said:

I missed the L in peel first time I read that :). 

I totally did, too. I even have chickens and thought, “ My goodness! Im all for recycling, but...” 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Stacia said:

For certain products we buy repeatedly, I write the item on the shopping list (or just go ahead & immediately order it from amazon) when I pull the last one out of the pantry or cabinet. The dc have been trained to tell me when they take the last one of something so it will go on the list. That way, we don't run out (even if I don't get around to purchasing it for a week or a few...). This is for things like sugar cubes (which I have a hard time finding in the store & ds uses them for coffee, so I purchase a 3-pack from amazon), deodorant, toothpaste, etc.

This is how I do all my shopping! I have a shopping list in One Note with pretty much everything I ever buy on it with an empty box next to each item. I keep a relatively stocked pantry with all the standard items I need for whatever I might typically cook and I buy approx the same fresh stuff each week, so I just add a checkmark to the empty box next to whatever I run out of on the list as I use it. If I want/need to make something special that's not on my list, I add it. I also have the list organized by grocery store aisle, but that's because I'm kinda sorta OCD lol 🙂 Then when I'm at the store as I put it into the cart I uncheck the box and the list is ready for the next week.

Saves a ton of time on grocery shopping day!

• Like 1

This is another habit of mine, but I'm not sure it's making any difference.

When I give one cat his wet food, I tell him what country it is shaped like. "India today, Mr Tinselator". 

When it's a random blob shape, I do admit I just make it up. "Ooh, Latvia for you today!" etc. So I'm really just confusing the poor boy. He might me thinking, "Silly human. Looks like Estonia to me."

• Like 2
  • Haha 11

I do some of the same as others have mentioned. Also...

Since DS washes his sheets the same day every week, I make sure that's one of the days he washes his hair.

We all look at the calendar every morning.

When I get a calendar for the new year, I make myself reminders (e.g., on the May page, buying tickets for an annual July event; September page, getting flu shots and ordering Halloween candy).

I do not like store-bought broths, even the expensive ones. I keep pint jars of frozen homemade broth in a clear container in the freezer. When there are fewer than 3 left, I write Make Broth on the kitchen calendar for the next weekend and put it on the calendar in Plan to Eat. The PtE shopping list will include what I need to buy and the wall calendar won't be filled with too many other things, so I will make broth, so I can have good soup.

• Like 1

I do keys in the same spot (at home=drawer, on the go= same pocket in my purse).

If I buy a replacement for something we are almost out of, I stash it in the basement and put a garage sale dot sticker on the almost empty one in the kitchen (peanut butter, mustard, etc.)

I started working on trying recipes that are quick to make yet healthy, hoping to work up to about 40-50 choices depending on mood, groceries and weather. 

I have Google Keep lists for groceries, Costco and Target/Walmart. I shared them with the girls and DH so anyone can add as needed. I sometimes call out to someone to add something when I am cooking instead of having to wait until I can wash my hands and do it. 

DH took over laundry when I picked up Full Time subbing suddenly for a maternity leave. He does it all on Sunday. 

I hang up my winter gear when coming in and my purse has a home in the closet. 

I have a file folder for each month. They hold items needed for that month/the calendar (only 2months are displayed at a time).

I have a file folder for tax documents to collect as they come in. I have a checklist written inside so I can make sure I have everything before we go. 

Edited by LifeLovePassion

When we have a light dinner and the dishwasher is only half full, I set the load to start after the next mornings breakfast.  That way it will run and we will have clean dishes for dinner and an empty dishwasher to put dinner dishes into.  It may not be 100% full when it gets ran, but even if it is only 3/4 full, it still needs to run before dinner.  Presetting it, makes sure that this happens. 

I text myself messages. Appointments, important dates etc. Then I don't open the message until I am ready to write it on my main calendar.  That way the reminder on my phone stays lit until I make the appropriate note or calendar entry. I put reminders that I think I will forget (ie Tell coach DD12 won't be at practice on xyz date)  on sticky notes and put them on my main fridge calendar, that way I can take the reminder with me and give it to the person I need to give it to.  It makes it easier for people (ie coaches/coworkers etc( to remember when you give it to them in a note also> LOL. I like to email messages too, but sometimes a note and personal reminder works better. 

Edited by Tap
  • Like 1

My main keys are on a lanyard.  On hook on Wall when home, around my neck when I am out.  It feels a bit like being a school coach (esp since whistle is on there too for calling kids dogs or emergency) , but it works for me.  Putting them on me or on the hook is the habit part.  

Edited by Pen

I usually get my mail on way home from walking dog.  Doesn’t always work depending on timing or traffic. But it’s the basic habit stack.  Then I’ve been working on habit stacking more and more of fully processing the mail immediately after getting in.  

In summer I sometimes read and throw out junk outside, but it’s too rainy and or cold now.  

3 hours ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

This is another habit of mine, but I'm not sure it's making any difference.

When I give one cat his wet food, I tell him what country it is shaped like. "India today, Mr Tinselator". 

When it's a random blob shape, I do admit I just make it up. "Ooh, Latvia for you today!" etc. So I'm really just confusing the poor boy. He might me thinking, "Silly human. Looks like Estonia to me."

If you can come up with some catching voice-dubbing, you could probably make that go viral on YouTube. 

• Like 6

9 hours ago, NorthwestMom said:

Thanks for doing that!  What is wrong with people? 👿

LOL! In her later years, my MIL wondered what was wrong with people that they would take the carts away from the handicapped spaces. She always needed one to walk into the store and really struggled if there wasn't one there. 

• Like 3

On 1/27/2019 at 2:14 PM, Pen said:

Fill gas when at 1/2 to 1/4 tank left. Makes for more frequent fill ups, but less stress—especially living rurally where there aren’t nearby stations.  

Yeah when I was growing up dad traded vehicles often.  They were all used cars.  Some of those if the gas hand hit 1/4 tank it meant empty.  We found out the hard way.  Even when I have had brand new vehicles I still don't like to get to 1/4 tank.  

• Like 1

Before pulling out of the drive anytime I'm going out of town, I check to see that I have my purse, wallet, cash, phone, and if it's a longer trip--my phone charger.

If my hands aren't full, I drop junk mail that doesn't need shredding in the recycle bin on my into the house. I'm not great at managing papers, so this helps. 

Edited by Pippen
  • Like 3

I keep at minimum one extra of every single toiletry in the closet—most things have two or more extras in the closet (toothpaste, conditioner, soap, etc.).  When the one in the closet gets taken out of the closet, then everyone knows to add it to the grocery list. 

I consider every day laundry day and start laundry when I start school.  There are only 4 of us, so some days I don’t have any laundry to do, but I still consider every day as “laundry day”. 

I used to do the same for exercising, but I’ve been lazy lately.  I consider every day “exercise day.”  Even though my real goal was to exercise only 3-4 days a week, I acted as if I would be able to exercise every day, though I always knew real life would intervene.  If every day is exercise day, then it’s not a big deal when real life derails your exercise plan.  But if I planned to exercise on only M-W-F for example, then if something happened on Monday it would derail the exercise plan and I’d only get in 2 sessions that week.  

I put cleaning supplies in the room where they’re needed, even if it means duplicating supplies—a vaccuum on all floors, toilet cleanser in both bathrooms, a dust pan near all three litter box groupings (boxes are in different areas of the house.). If I don’t have the supply right there on hand, then I’m less likely to get the cleaning done.

• Like 4

I've been having a heck of a time working out at home -- on my own -- since my Pilates teacher moved out of town.

Finally, I realized that given my poor balance situation, one of the smartest things I can do for my health is a daily workout.

So, in my mind, I now call my daily workout "my medicine."

Somehow seeing it as "medicine" has really, really helped.

Alley

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Pippen said:

Before pulling out of the drive anytime I'm going out of town, I check to see that I have my purse, wallet, cash, phone, and if it's a longer trip--my phone charger.

If my hands aren't full, I drop junk mail that doesn't need shredding in the recycle bin on my into the house. I'm not great at managing papers, so this helps. 

One guy I know who has to be at work at 5 a.m. actually counts on his fingers:

1st finger. Phone

2nd finger. Wallet

3rd finger. Lunch

4th finger. Keys

5th finger. Glasses

I'm starting this one today.

Alley

Edited by Alicia64
Can't spell, not enough coffee yet.
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Alicia64 said:

One guy I know who has to be at work at 5 a.m. actually counts on his fingers:

1st finger. Phone

2nd finger. Wallet

3rd finger. Lunch

4th finger. Keys

5th finger. Glasses

I'm starting this one today.

Alley

After a few disastrous weekend trips where DH left the house without necessities, I now make him check for his "3 M's": money (wallet), meds, machine (cpap). If he has those 3, anything else missing can be easily replaced...but no one wants to be stuck at a Walgreens, 300 miles from home, trying to contact the dr to get a prescription filled ASAP.  Stunner. 

Edited by alisoncooks

On 1/29/2019 at 5:38 AM, Homeschool Mom in AZ said:

I take the hangers downstairs with the dirty laundry so I can put clean laundry on the hangers as soon as the dryer buzzes. 
If I'm not going to be downstairs to hear the dryer buzzer I set an alarm on my phone and put it in my pocket so I can still get it out of the dryer right away when it's done.  I only iron for special situations and when I quilt.
When I wash all the bedding I wash it in the order it goes on the bed so I can make the bed in stages as each load is done.
I clean the fridge and freezer out first, then I straighten up the pantry, then I know what I have on hand and need to use up, then I meal plan and grocery shop.
When I try a new recipe from the book and decide it's a keeper, I cut/print out the page, put it in a plastic paper cover, and put it in my tried and true recipe 3 ring binder so that all my sure bets are in one place.
I get gas on the way home from the grocery store.

My mom and I both do the same thing with recipes.  My binder is labeled "keepers".

Another thing I do, when I do find a keeper recipe, is to convert as many of the measurements as possible to weight instead of volume.  It's more accurate and dirties fewer dishes if I just throw the bowl on the scale and tare after each addition.  Saves time, too.  

@Alicia64 I love the idea of re-thinking exercise as "medicine"!  I will immediately implement this!  

• Like 3

On 1/27/2019 at 12:14 PM, Pen said:

Fill gas when at 1/2 to 1/4 tank left. Makes for more frequent fill ups, but less stress—especially living rurally where there aren’t nearby stations.  

I do this too. 

On 1/27/2019 at 12:33 PM, marbel said:

My dad taught lectured me repeatedly not to let my gas get below 1/2 a tank, ever. This was difficult during the 1970s gas shortage, with rationing and long lines. But I have never forgotten it and get a little twitchy if my tank gets below 1/4 tank. But I have never, ever run out of gas.  I tell my kids the same thing. Their dad likes to live a little more dangerously.  🙂

I remember footage of people at the gas pumps when Katrina hit. I consider keeping my tank at half or above all the time part of my emergency preparedness! 

57 minutes ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

My mom and I both do the same thing with recipes.  My binder is labeled "keepers".

Another thing I do, when I do find a keeper recipe, is to convert as many of the measurements as possible to weight instead of volume.  It's more accurate and dirties fewer dishes if I just throw the bowl on the scale and tare after each addition.  Saves time, too.  

@Alicia64 I love the idea of re-thinking exercise as "medicine"!  I will immediately implement this!  

Love the idea of using weight measurements! 

When I was a busy homeschooling mom, I planned my meals for the week, at least for the weekdays.   At lunch, I’d gather the dinner stuff together and start the crockpot or whatever.  Maybe get the next day’s meat out to thaw.  It made dinner time so much easier when I got it started at lunchtime.  Also not having to figure out what to eat was helpful too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2019 at 9:45 AM, Margaret in CO said:

After locking my keys in the church one day, I actually say outloud "KEYS" when I go to lock up. I've managed to not repeat the goof since. I like the new car for that--you CAN'T lock your keys in--it won't let you. 

This is similar to why I  have had keys around neck for years now.  Around 20 years ago I was putting something in car trunk and my keys dropped out of my hand into the trunk just as it shut.  I was stuck in poor weather conditions waiting for AAA lock out  service to help—with a dog stuck inside the locked car.  For awhile I checked that keys were in a pocket prior to shutting trunk—then shifted to around neck. 

Between ball games and hs group outings we use to do a lot of picnic style meals.  I use to keep a small bag in the back of the van with a roll of paper towels, plastic utensils (kept in a peanut butter jar), paper plates (sometimes), pack of baby wipes & hand sanitizer.  

Also in the warm months I kept a small cooler back there with bottles of water.  It just got to be a habit to dump off water and add ice before we left the house.  I would freeze ice in butter bowls etc. and use that in the cooler.  Ice lasted longer.

• Like 1