Menu

Can we share smart, little habits that make a difference?

Hi Guys!

I've been reading the awesome books on habits. I haven't read Atomic Habits yet, but I've heard James Clear speak. His ideas are awesome.

A tiny habit that I've developed: I take a container of baby carrots in the car w/ me when I'm driving kids around or running errands. I mindlessly eat a cup or two of carrots this way. (I might graduate to broccoli too.)

It's been a great way to get more veggies.

Are there small habits that you've developed involving anything: home cleaning, working out, reading, anything at all?

Alley

Edited by Alicia64
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A life wisdom I've passed on to my children:   always check there's ample toilet paper in a public toilet cubicle before you *ahem* commit. You don't want to have to do an Elaine and beg someone

Every day is laundry day. While coffee is brewing, the dishwasher gets emptied, the litter gets scooped, and a load of laundry goes in (unless I’m going to be gone all day, which is usually once a w

Hi Guys! I've been reading the awesome books on habits. I haven't read Atomic Habits yet, but I've heard James Clear speak. His ideas are awesome. A tiny habit that I've developed: I take a

54 minutes ago, Alicia64 said:

Hi Guys!

I've been reading the awesome books on habits. I haven't read Atomic Habits yet, but I've heard James Clear speak. His ideas are awesome.

A tiny habit that I've developed: I take a container of baby carrots in the car w/ me when I'm driving kids around or running errands. I mindlessly eat a cup or two of carrots this way. (I might graduate to broccoli too.)

Are there small habits that you've developed?

Alley

I do this with salad greens.  If I’m alone in the car, I put an open bag on the seat next to me and eat out of it, like eating chips.  5 cups of baby spinach can disappear in no time.  Quite a vitamin and fiber boost.  Plus almost no calories.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

The Key Basket.  Everyone drops their car keys into this little basket in the kitchen.  With multiple cars and both teen and elderly drivers over the years, this has totally saved our sanity in terms of finding the keys to the car you need when you need them.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I do one small task when I come home from work or errands before I eat or play with pets. Clean litter boxes, throw in laundry, wipe down kitchen - nothing that takes long but these little things add up. 

Designated key and purse area for sure, 

We've gotten out of the habit of prepping veggies and stuff all at once (life & schedule changes!) but that's a big help.

Cooking double and freezing. 

• Like 6

Every day is laundry day.
While coffee is brewing, the dishwasher gets emptied, the litter gets scooped, and a load of laundry goes in (unless I’m going to be gone all day, which is usually once a week.)

I don’t know if this counts as a habit, but payday is bill paying day. It’s a concept dh still can’t wrap his head around, which is why I pay almost all of the bills. Money only comes into our house every other week, so there isn’t much point to waiting for exact due dates. It isn’t as if more money is going to show up to pay them later. Everything gets done at once, and I don’t have to think about it again for another two weeks. 

• Like 16
2 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

I don’t know if this counts as a habit, but payday is bill paying day. It’s a concept dh still can’t wrap his head around, which is why I pay almost all of the bills. Money only comes into our house every other week, so there isn’t much point to waiting for exact due dates. It isn’t as if more money is going to show up to pay them later. Everything gets done at once, and I don’t have to think about it again for another two weeks. 

My s-i-l writes out the check the minute the mail comes, and then walks across the street and gives it to the mail carrier!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
39 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

Every day is laundry day.
While coffee is brewing, the dishwasher gets emptied, the litter gets scooped, and a load of laundry goes in (unless I’m going to be gone all day, which is usually once a week.)

For the latter, I am the same way as your DH (and my DH is like you, so he pays the bills).  I just feel like if I put it off for a week maybe it will go away or something.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Similar to some already stated:

Key hooks in the kitchen, on the natural path to/from the front door.  Huge time/panic saver.

At night, set up a load of laundry to start first thing in the morning. Detergent, clothing, vinegar all put in. One of the first things I do in the morning is start that load.  It is a rare day I don't run at least one load of some kind of wash. 

At night, set out the next day's vitamins/meds/supplements. I have some little stainless mise en place cups that I fill at night and put at my place at the table.  If I don't do this, I won't be sure of taking everything. 

Almost all our bills are on auto-pay; the one that is not I set up for payment (checking account bill pay system) as soon as the email notification of the bill arrives. I don't write checks or mail envelopes for any bills.  

• Like 3

Shred ALL the junk mail as soon as it comes in. Sort the rest right then, NOT letting it pile up and slide off the piles all over everywhere. I hate when I'm gone and dh has piled it up, willy-nilly. It takes an hour to go through it all. 

Put away the laundry as it comes out of the dryer. I do this for my stuff, and dump dh's on the bed. If I don't leave the basket he's FORCED to deal with it. If the basket is not put away, then the piles begin. 

Silly thing, but cut out the interfacing when cutting out a pattern. If you have to drag out the interfacing later, it takes an extra day to do. And then PUT AWAY the interfacing right then. 

Always lay out a pattern the same way. In my house, that means putting the fold to the east. Much less likely to miss a "lay on fold" piece. 

Put the laundry soap up every time, not leaving it where the cats can knock it off. 

Sort my purse every day. This is the goal, but it doesn't always happen.

Write down everything I sew, with the date, and pattern modifications. Much easier later to think, "Did I add to that?" 

My latest goal is to deal with photos for the paper w/in 24 hours. It was SO nice to get up this morning to not have that looming over me! It's such a big job to go through 600+ photos. 

• Like 3

I wash my hands every time I walk into my house (and my kids do to). Hopefully, it cuts down on illness. 

Not a tiny habit, but I clean my kitchen every night before bed. Actually, it is a tiny habit because the only thing I require of myself is to start the dishwasher. I end up doing the rest (lauding dinner dishes, washing pots, wiping counters) most days too, but the only required piece is to run the dishwasher. 

Subsequently, I empty the dishwasher while making coffee. So, it’s ready for dishes all day. 

I always have a bottle of water. It’s very dry here, so it’s necessary, and I’m not interested in buying water. 

I’m working on making billpay and straightening up habitual instead of a decision. Not there yet. 

• Like 6

Oh! 

I have 5 locations around my house where I’m allowed to put down my phone. When I move to a new house, I observe my natural behavior, then assign myself locations. I almost never lose my phone because it can only be on my person or in one of those places around the house. I also have assigned pockets for keys and phone in my purse and backpack. 

I always, always, always put my keys on their hook. 

I hang any clothes to be reworn back up in the closet immediately. I wash work clothes separately. It’s an extra load, but then I don’t ever have to think about whether there are clothes that can’t be dried mixed in with a load of laundry. 

I write down all appointments/things to do immediately. If I can’t write it down, I set a reminder on my phone to write it down later that day. 

• Like 7
2 minutes ago, BooksandBoys said:

I have 5 locations around my house where I’m allowed to put down my phone.  

My super-nerdy version of this is to use a hip pouch on my belt or belt loop when I'm at work or when I'll be moving all over the house for cleaning or decluttering. This lets me carry a little notebook and pen also to write down those random thoughts without getting too distracted (for some reason I refer to my physical notes much more often than my phone notes). 

• Like 3

- Laundry: I start a load first thing every morning.  I put clean laundry on my side of the bed, so it must get folded before I can sleep.

- I only listen to audiobooks while doing chores.  Putting on my headset actually automatically makes me start looking for stuff that needs doing.  It's been weird how well this has worked.  

• Like 8

I clean the bathroom every morning after I've gotten ready in it. I just throw miscellaneous items my teens leave out in the drawer, wipe down the sink with windex, grab a bleach wipe and clean the toilet surfaces and the lid on the garbage can, done. It takes one minute and everything stays decent.

Also I buy gas every Saturday no matter how full the tank is; no having to add an emergency stop for gas during the midweek craziness.

Edited by NorthwestMom
  • Like 4
1 hour ago, katilac said:

My s-i-l writes out the check the minute the mail comes, and then walks across the street and gives it to the mail carrier!

My grandfather waits at the front door for the mailman with the checkbook, pen, and stamps in hand. He takes the mail from him, puts together the bills, and puts them in the mailbox with the flag up! 😂 

I keep telling him online bill pay would be perfect for him but I haven't convinced him. 😊

As far as my habits, I put the keys on the key hook right inside the garage door every time. Even if I have 5 grocery bags in my arms, I have those keys on my pinky and slide them onto the hook.

I also do a task in the kitchen while waiting for the microwave or coffee maker. I think I got that tip from here! I was shocked how much I could get done in a minute 30 seconds while the microwave is on! 

• Like 3

I sort through the mail as soon as I pick it up and come into the house. I can’t stand piles of mail on my counter or kitchen table. Apparently, mail sorting and tossing is only a skill I have🙄DH has yet to develop it.

• Like 3
18 minutes ago, Pen said:

Fill gas when at 1/2 to 1/4 tank left. Makes for more frequent fill ups, but less stress—especially living rurally where there aren’t nearby stations.  

My dad taught lectured me repeatedly not to let my gas get below 1/2 a tank, ever. This was difficult during the 1970s gas shortage, with rationing and long lines. But I have never forgotten it and get a little twitchy if my tank gets below 1/4 tank. But I have never, ever run out of gas.  I tell my kids the same thing. Their dad likes to live a little more dangerously.  :-)

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

I always fold the laundry as soon as it comes out of the dryer. I also hunt down any missing socks as soon as I realize one has gone rogue.  

I am not consistent with this habit, but having the dishwasher empty when I start making dinner is a big help.  I can load the prepwork dishes while dinner cooks and dinner dishes are put in immediately after we finish.  

• Like 2
Just now, MissLemon said:

I always fold the laundry as soon as it comes out of the dryer. I also hunt down any missing socks as soon as I realize one has gone rogue.  

I am not consistent with this habit, but having the dishwasher empty when I start making dinner is a big help.  I can load the prepwork dishes while dinner cooks and dinner dishes are put in immediately after we finish.  

I don't have a dishwasher, but I have ALL the cooking dishes done before dinner is on the table. Then all that has to be done are plates, glasses, and silverware. 

Scoop all the scraps into the chicken bucket as I go, rather than piling them up. Just takes a second. 

Sweep after every meal. 

Shovel CLEAR to the edge of the sidewalk. If you're lazy like dh, that leaves chipping away at 4" of hard pack, which is really hard on my hands. Sorry, but taking one swipe down the sidewalk (and only on the side YOU walk on) is lazy. 

• Like 1

Some people probably won’t consider this a small habit, but mine is:

Wake up early and do the things I care about first thing.  As long as I do this, I can fit in reading, exercise, meditation and calendar organization daily. Sometimes morning TeA, which keeps hubby happy. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I have a trash bin in the garage next to the door I go through after I get mail.  Junk mail doesn't enter the house.

The kid(s) and I clean the kitchen every night unless there's an urgent situation/emergency.  The psychological difference between starting the day with a mess vs. starting the day with a tidy kitchen is huge for me.

I wake up right around the same time every day because it's easier to do if I haven't broken the routine. I keep the drapes and blinds on the east window open enough to let the sun in which makes waking easier.

I prep as much dinner as possible in the mornings and afternoons because even if we have nothing planned for the evening it just makes things significantly less stressful.

Having an empty dishwasher + hot soapy water in the sink when I start dinner makes things go smoother. I also set the table for the next meal (I meal plan) when the dishes are being unloaded.  It's one less thing to add to dinner time stress.

Bulk cooking a few days during each seasonal school break means lots of meals in my freezer which is saving us time, stress, and money.

2 cups lightly caffeinated green tea first thing in the morning has really helped me cut back on sodas. 

• Like 1

A load of laundry gets done first thing in the morning. Clean clothes go on the bed so they have to be folded before I go to sleep.

All counters and tables are wiped down before I go to bed. This means there are no dishes out and we don't get more than our share of bugs.

Pay day is bill paying day. I use online bill pay so that if my paycheck is $1,000 and my bills are $800 I know immediately that I have $200 for groceries.

Intermittent fasting has drastically simplified my mornings as I have food allergies and hypoglycemia.

Every night after dinner I do the dishes and go to my room by myself for half an hour. During this half hour my husband is required to play with the children while I get a few things done including school prep and laundry folding.

All of our weeks housework is done on Sunday night so we have a clean slate for the week.

I really enjoyed the book The Power of Habit and I recommend it. The most valuable things I took away are what a keystone habit is and what triggers set off behavior.

• Like 1

I set the timer and do 5-minute pick ups each day in the living/dining room/foyer, family room, and kitchen (trying to get in the habit of adding the master bedroom). It's only 15 minutes a day, but now that my kids are older/not home much, everything stays picked up and vacuumed. It's amazing what you can do in a room in a concentrated 5 minutes!

1 hour ago, Quill said:

Some people probably won’t consider this a small habit, but mine is:

Wake up early and do the things I care about first thing.  As long as I do this, I can fit in reading, exercise, meditation and calendar organization daily. Sometimes morning TeA, which keeps hubby happy. 

This is the thing I need to do the most, but DS2 climbs into bed with me during the night and gets up the second I try to sneak out of bed. *sigh*

Someday!

• Like 1

Cooking 2 cups (or any amount of rice) and keeping the cooked rice in fridge has made meals a lot faster during the crazy evenings.

Since I am not a morning person, I get ready the night before by getting gasoline if I need to and prepping lunches as far as possible.

• Like 1

I have been consciously trying to get some sun pretty often for the past couple of years.  This is because I figure if I might need more D I’d rather get it the way our ancestors did.  So instead of avoiding hiking in the sun, I do it, but not long enough to get burned.  I still shield my face, pretty much, but I try to have bare legs and arms so I can pick up as much incidental sun as I can.  The first year I did this I felt better all winter long, presumably from having stored D in the summer.  The second year I had to stay inside a lot more during the summer and fall because of the horrible smoky air, and I didn’t feel as good.  Coincidence?  I really don’t think so.  So this is a newish habit that I intend to maintain.

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

I have been consciously trying to get some sun pretty often for the past couple of years.  This is because I figure if I might need more D I’d rather get it the way our ancestors did.  So instead of avoiding hiking in the sun, I do it, but not long enough to get burned.  I still shield my face, pretty much, but I try to have bare legs and arms so I can pick up as much incidental sun as I can.  The first year I did this I felt better all winter long, presumably from having stored D in the summer.  The second year I had to stay inside a lot more during the summer and fall because of the horrible smoky air, and I didn’t feel as good.  Coincidence?  I really don’t think so.  So this is a newish habit that I intend to maintain.

You do that without sunscreen? 

39 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

I have a Vit D problem too....I definitely soak up the sun when I can.  

2 hours ago, MissLemon said:

A related rule of mine is that I NEVER prepare food on top of a mess. I start cooking from an empty sink, clean cooktop and clean counters. I also wash up most of my prep dishes as I go. My DH does neither of these things and it is SO discouraging to clean up after dinner when he has cooked! He has a pile of dishes stacked in the sinks. It makes it seem like a big, daunting mess. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

I do laundry a couple of times a week. I plan my loads so that the easy to fold loads are last.  Towels or some such.  

I wash sheets on the same day every week. 

I use to have a cleaning schedule when I was full time stay at home.  I feel very chaotic these days, working 3 days a week.  

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Alicia64 said:

Hi Guys!

Are there small habits that you've developed involving anything: home cleaning, working out, reading, anything at all?

Alley

What books in addition to Atomic Habits do you recommend?

Thank you for starting this thread!

• Like 2

We use our credit card for everything we possibly can to build up our hotel points, and we got into the habit of paying it off completely online once a week instead of waiting for the bill to come in.  It gives us a feeling of better control over our finances.

I keep hand sanitizer in the cup holder in my car and use it every time I leave a store and wash my hands as soon as I get home.

Edited by LadyR
  • Like 5
6 hours ago, BooksandBoys said:

Oh! 

I have 5 locations around my house where I’m allowed to put down my phone. When I move to a new house, I observe my natural behavior, then assign myself locations. I almost never lose my phone because it can only be on my person or in one of those places around the house. I also have assigned pockets for keys and phone in my purse and backpack. 

I always, always, always put my keys on their hook. 

I hang any clothes to be reworn back up in the closet immediately. I wash work clothes separately. It’s an extra load, but then I don’t ever have to think about whether there are clothes that can’t be dried mixed in with a load of laundry. 

I write down all appointments/things to do immediately. If I can’t write it down, I set a reminder on my phone to write it down later that day. 

1. Soooo . . . you don’t lose you phone for half the day because you took it to the basement and propped it like a flashlight so you could see to gather worm compost THEN left it and couldn’t locate it for hours? (TWICE I’ve done this; once today. 

2. You DON’T have to figure out which coat/jacket/hoodie you wore last and retrieve your keys from THAT garment pocket?

3. You DON’T have an “It’s Still Good” basket and you wouldn’t consider such a basket an upgrade from draping things on bedroom furniture?

I do have to write down appointments right away or I’d never make it anywhere. Also, if a student pays me in cash, I record this before the cash leaves my hand. I’ve delayed entire classes with “Wait, it’s cash! I have to create a paper trail!”

I have a loose cleaning/cooking/rehearsal schedule, but cleaning as I go and keeping track of my phone are tough for me. Also, I procrastinate at a professional level. I’m supposed to be sewing a costume right now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
4 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

I do have to write down appointments right away or I’d never make it anywhere. Also, if a student pays me in cash, I record this before the cash leaves my hand. I’ve delayed entire classes with “Wait, it’s cash! I have to create a paper trail!”

I have made a habit of telling people that, if they don’t see me write it down, it didn’t (or won’t) happen.  This was primarily for co-directing a co-op, but now I want it tattooed on my forehead for the world.  Or at least my dds, who still want to believe I’m going to remember their work schedules!

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

You do that without sunscreen? 

It depends.  If I’m going running for maybe 45 minutes, I put sunscreen on my face and run where there is dappled shade, so it works out to about 20 minutes of exposure.  I wear shorts and a tank to maximize sun.  If I’m going to hike for hours but mostly in the shade, I don’t wear sunscreen, but (key difference) instead of consciously trying to go in the late afternoon when the sun is weakest I go in the middle of the day when it’s stronger.  If it’s going to be very sunny where I”m going, I make sure I’m covered enough not to burn.  Like I wear jeans instead of shorts, put sunscreen on my face and neck, and wear a tank.  When I’ve gotten a little sun I add my sunscreen longsleeved shirt—it’s extremely Iight weight but is SPF50.  

I try to get a little sun at least 4X weekly from mid-spring to mid fall.  I get tan, but I make sure I don’t burn.  Honestly, I could *tell* that I was healthier when I did this.  It was really weird.

• Like 4
1 minute ago, Carrie12345 said:

I have made a habit of telling people that, if they don’t see me write it down, it didn’t (or won’t) happen.  This was primarily for co-directing a co-op, but now I want it tattooed on my forehead for the world.  Or at least my dds, who still want to believe I’m going to remember their work schedules!

It’s so cute when my college daughter rattled off her work/class schedule and thinks I’ll remember. Girly, you don’t live here! I don’t know where you are all day!

My tattoo would say “I don’t remember your name.” I can blank on the names of long-time friends. New people do not stand a chance. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I wash my hands as soon as I enter the house. Still working on getting the whole family to do it.

Junk mail goes in the trash immediately.

For exercise (I'm a walker): just get out the door. As long as I can get out the door, the route takes over and my full 4 miles get done, even if I was telling myself that I only had to do 2 or 3.

I have two laundry sorter hampers, one for adults in our closet, and one for kids in the upstairs hall. Everyone is trained to use them. Not only is laundry sorted the moment it comes off our backs, but I can also tell at a glance which loads need to be done.

Fold laundry on the bed. Can't fall asleep with laundry on the bed!

Saturday is Family Cleaning Day.

Kitchen is tidied right after breakfast.

Downstairs tidied every night.

Trash taken out of car every time we pull into the driveway.

Clean kid rooms weekly. I'd prefer every day, but life doesn't always work out that way. Weekly keeps things from becoming a disaster.

28 minutes ago, Pen said:

What books in addition to Atomic Habits do you recommend?

Thank you for starting this thread!

You're welcome! The ideas on here are awesome!

Hands down, the habit book I LOVE is The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg. I've checked this book out of the library so many times it's ridiculous. I need to just buy the thing.

Alley

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
29 minutes ago, Alicia64 said:

You're welcome! The ideas on here are awesome!

Hands down, the habit book I LOVE is The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg. I've checked this book out of the library so many times it's ridiculous. I need to just buy the thing.

Alley

It’s weird; I think I read that book, but if I did, I don’t remember a single sentence from it. It’s possible I checked it out but never actually read it or read only a short bit. #readerfail 

ETA: After looking at the editorial review, I remember reading a book that talked about Target figuring out women were pregnant before the family even knew due to buying patterns, but I didn’t think this was in this book. I thought that was in the book Why We Buy

Edited by Quill
15 hours ago, NorthwestMom said:

I clean the bathroom every morning after I've gotten ready in it. I just throw miscellaneous items my teens leave out in the drawer, wipe down the sink with windex, grab a bleach wipe and clean the toilet surfaces and the lid on the garbage can, done. It takes one minute and everything stays decent.

Also I buy gas every Saturday no matter how full the tank is; no having to add an emergency stop for gas during the midweek craziness.

Yes, to the bolded.  Its such a sanity and money saver!   We fill all of our car tanks on Sunday and use our  gas points to save $.   Only one of our cars needs a midweek fill, and we fill that one after school on Wednesday when we're in a nearby town with cheaper prices. I also only go to the grocery store on Sunday and Thursdays.  It's what fits our schedule and saves us some money by not just running in the store to "grab one thing".  We avoid a lot of impulse esp snack purchases this way. 

edited to add:  Sink Refections by Marcia Cilley ( Flylady) is a good book to help with routine habits.  

Edited by Starfish

Always keep the trash email folder cleaned out! And sort stuff and put it in folders so you don't end up with over 200 things on your desktop, unable to find anything. And then blame everyone else, even though NO one else uses that computer. 

Always put every receipt away the DAY you get it. In the correct envelope for the month. Rather than piling them up on the dashboard of the truck where they get lost. It really does save time when you CASH the entire year's income check rather than throwing it on the dashboard where it falls down the defroster vent and you find it 10 years later as the defroster has never really worked well. 

Write in checks so as not to leave the spouse wondering where and what something was. Circle deductible things for medical expenses.

Actually READ the email from your senior patrol leader, not assuming he covered everything when he didn't. 

When someone tells you that this car doesn't have so and so, believe the owner or you have to lie down in 3' of snow because you're bound and determined that you're going to hook up to the nonexistent item. 

Corollary: when the owner says that the battery is on this side, believe that owner. Ditto with the gas tank. 

Think ahead for what you need for the next meeting, so as not to be running around like a chicken with no head, wasting gas and time (and being late). Look at the entire day at 0630 and think about what you'll be doing 12 hours later. So much easier. 

Don't have a trash sack in your truck, which of course gets filled and then overflows. TAKE OUT THE TRASH every time you park, since you're in front of the trash container anyway. 

Don't allow children to eat in the car. 

Look at the recycle symbol on the bottom of the container. We can only recycle #1 & #2. If you throw everything in there, you have to sort, and that wastes time. 

Don't throw grain and pet food bags on the floor, but walk 10 feet and throw them in the trash container. Do it every time you empty one or you end up with the entire trash container full and you can't put the week's trash in there. 

Another thing we've found helpful: check for bears before you take the trash out. If you drop it and run, the bear makes a mess with it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, KungFuPanda said:

It’s so cute when my college daughter rattled off her work/class schedule and thinks I’ll remember. Girly, you don’t live here! I don’t know where you are all day!

My tattoo would say “I don’t remember your name.” I can blank on the names of long-time friends. New people do not stand a chance. 

Exactly! 

And I ALWAYS forget where the cash payment came from. I have no system for that. And I lose checks. Not my phone it keys, but hand me a check and all bets are off! 🤪