Menu

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
MomN

Sonlight Core A Question

I am using Sonlight Core A, All About Reading, and RightStart for my 6 year old.  We have loved AAR and RS.  I feel like the Sonlight books have been a mixed bag.  We've loved the Winnie the Pooh stories and The Boxcar Children and many others, but as the year moves on we are finding more and more books that we don't like (including me).  To name a few ... Adventures in Waffles, The Good News Must Go Out, Out of Darkness, and a couple more.  After a couple of chapters, both my son and I are just not captivated and so lately we've been moving on to something else.  So my question is this:  does this seem like Sonlight might not be a good fit for us?  The last thing I want to do is buy a new core for next year and not like half the books.  It just seems like the books are maybe not as adventurous or action-packed as we are used to.  But I've heard from so many people that Sonlight has the best books.  So maybe it's just us and we should push forward.  Any suggestions are appreciated!

It's been a long time since we've used SL I've looked at other cores occasionally, but haven't gone back. If you liked In Grandma's Attic, there are three more books in that series. We also read the next two books that follow My Father's Dragon. You can always use the books that SL lists as a suggestion for books at your library. As far as sticking with SL, does the style suit you? Do you like the schedule and IG and the way history is presented? You may consider picking up "Honey for a Child's Heart" by Gladys Hunt to help you pick books. Your library might have it.

I've used a bunch of SL cores and honestly for the younger kids, there were a fair amount of dud books in core A.  I've used PK4- Core B and then cores G,H, parts of 100 and 300. I do think it's a mixed bag, but to me having a box of books shipped to my house some years when things were crazy with no stress on my part was worth the cost. Some years I'd rather pick my own stuff- it's all about what is going on and how much planning I want to do.

Fwiw, I do think PK4 and A were the most "dud filled" , as far as books we didn't like as far as read aloud.  The bigger deal past that point was more "too many books at once" so I've started stretching things out. But I still will say that SL has brought a lot of really great read aloud books into our house that I would not have purchased otherwise. My primary complaint in the younger cores is a lack of picture books. I really like picture books for kids this age to go along with chapter books and I feel that's missing in SL. 

I think you'd need to look at things like, do you use the schedule? Do you need a schedule? Are you comfortable surfing books lists and ordering, or would you rather have some guidance? to answer your question. SL can be great for some people. Sometimes you can go it yourself and customize with ideas off of lists. You might take a look at their booklist for B, and then go look at Memoria Press's K lists, and maybe Veritas Press too and get ideas for comparison for next year. I definitely think some of it comes down to do you need a schedule and a list, or are you okay with making your own? There's really not a right or wrong answer. 🙂