Menu

Sonlight Core A Question

MomN

I am using Sonlight Core A, All About Reading, and RightStart for my 6 year old.  We have loved AAR and RS.  I feel like the Sonlight books have been a mixed bag.  We've loved the Winnie the Pooh stories and The Boxcar Children and many others, but as the year moves on we are finding more and more books that we don't like (including me).  To name a few ... Adventures in Waffles, The Good News Must Go Out, Out of Darkness, and a couple more.  After a couple of chapters, both my son and I are just not captivated and so lately we've been moving on to something else.  So my question is this:  does this seem like Sonlight might not be a good fit for us?  The last thing I want to do is buy a new core for next year and not like half the books.  It just seems like the books are maybe not as adventurous or action-packed as we are used to.  But I've heard from so many people that Sonlight has the best books.  So maybe it's just us and we should push forward.  Any suggestions are appreciated!

It's been a long time since we've used SL I've looked at other cores occasionally, but haven't gone back. If you liked In Grandma's Attic, there are three more books in that series. We also read the next two books that follow My Father's Dragon. You can always use the books that SL lists as a suggestion for books at your library. As far as sticking with SL, does the style suit you? Do you like the schedule and IG and the way history is presented? You may consider picking up "Honey for a Child's Heart" by Gladys Hunt to help you pick books. Your library might have it.