Menu

For fun - those who need reading glasses - how many and where?

SKL

I normally wear glasses. (contacts don't work for me.)  I now have bifocals. . . . I have a pair of old computer glasses that work great for piano.  I leave them there..  I also have a pair of "office" glasses which are for the computer.  I generally leave them there - but will also end up using them around the house.  (they're fine for home/office, they don't' work for distance with driving.)

I think 8 -- LOL.  One in my purse, one in my van, one in the kitchen, 2 are in my bedroom at the moment, one by my one computer, one by my other computer, and one on my school desk.  They end up various places throughout the week though.  I gather them all up on Sunday and redistribute them.  

• Like 2

I had multiple pairs, but then I couldn't find any of them.

So now I have three. One for general house use, one in my purse for when out, and one in the car. When I can't find the house pair, I keep looking until I find them. I have 3-4 places I typically put them down, so generally they are one of those places. Purse set immediately goes back. Car one stays in the car. This has helped immensely. 

• Like 1

I have two really good expensive pairs - one from the eye doctor two years ago and one from the eye doctor last year.  One of those pairs lives in a pocket next to my chair at home and I wear them whenever I'm at home.  The other pair lives in my purse and those are the ones I wear at the classroom all day.  

I have a bunch of cheap pairs I brought from Amazon or Target or somewhere.  Ones in the console of my car, one stays in my desk at the science center, and a couple are in a drawer at home.

6. One in purse (with cracked frame), one at school, one in the bathroom (can't see to cut my own fingernails or pluck eyebrows), one on the book I'm reading, one on desk, one extra because I don't really need 6 but the last time I bought some I bought the Costco 3-pack.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kassia said:

I buy them at the dollar store and have them everywhere.  I have at least 6 pairs.  One in my purse plus a few upstairs and downstairs.  

This, definitely more than 6, lol. 

I actually have more than one strength because I use them for different things, and I learned the hard way that you really need to mark them in some way. You would think I would notice before the headache settles in, but I don't. 

Mine are prescription, so I can't just grab them at the dollar store as some of my friends do. In recent years, my approach has been to get the one pair that my insurance pays for through the eye doctor. Then I get a copy of the prescription and head home to wait for the next e-mail with a good sale at Goggles4U. Once that pops into my inbox, I order two or three pairs and kind of scatter them around my life.

At the moment, I have my favorite pair in a case in my purse; they travel around with me when I leave the house and are the primary pair I wear at work, but I try not to remove them from my bag when I am home. A second pair floats around the house, usually coming to rest either on my desk or on my dresser in the bedroom when they are not on my nose or tucked into the neckline of my shirt. A third pair is in my desk at work, just in case I ever forget (or break) the pair that should be in my purse. I also have one pair left over from the previous prescription that have a couple of scratches but are more or less functional that also sit on my desk at home, just in case . . .

Nightstand, bathroom drawer, living room end-table, kitchen island, next to computer, in purse.  They migrate, so sometimes the four indoor ones end up in one place=)

I bought a nice pair from Peepers that I keep on a pretty pearl chain in my purse to wear when I am away from the house.  My slight spoil to compensate for getting older.  It's the little things.

I have 8-10.   One in each car, two in my office, I try to keep one in my purse, a couple in my bedroom.

I honestly would like a few more pair.  I keep taking them out of my purse and forgetting to put them back.  I would like the little folding kind for my purse.  They aren't comfortable enough to want to keep on if I am in any of the other places and have access to my more comfortable pairs.

Just 2. I have a prescription bifocal pair for work that is clear on top, and a 1+ below. I have one other cheap set at work incase I forget my good ones.  The only time I take them in public is if we are going to a restaurant. Otherwise I can still see well enough to get by without them. I use them at work to help me stop squinting and making the scowl lines between my eyes worse. LOL

I have progressive multi focal glasses so I don't use reading glasses. Dh does and has 4 pairs. He keeps one in the family room, one on his night stand, one in the bathroom, and one at work. Sometimes (okay, often) he forgets and moves a pair to another room then spends time looking for them because they aren't where he keeps them. 😄 

Edited by Lady Florida.

16 hours ago, katilac said:

I have progressive contact lenses and still need the dang reading glasses!

I've never been able to use reading glasses with contacts. They just seem to make things worse. It took me a long time but I finally learned how to read with my multi focal contacts. Sometimes I look a bit strange as I move my head up and down trying to find the sweet spot so I can read, but once I find it, they work like they're supposed to.

It's my progressive glasses that I have trouble with more so than my contacts. I often end up taking them off (I'm nearsighted) in order to be able to read. It's been like for all of the progressive glasses I've had since I started needing them. I don't know why I can't get used to the reading spot on my glasses. The rest of the lenses are for distance and I definitely can't read from that section. I'm constantly taking my glasses off and putting them back on. 

My vision isn't so bad that I can't see without my glasses but I certainly can't drive without them. Without my glasses the world looks a bit like an Impressionist painting where everything is almost but not quite in focus.  I can't talk to anyone without my glasses on because they look a little fuzzy around the edges. I can't hear fuzzy people. 🤣 😂

• Haha 1

As a tennis player, I cannot wear progressives or bifocals or, at least, I have been unable (or unwilling) to try. Many people I play with have complained about the difficulty in seeing the ball at the transition line; the switch from one prescription to the other messes with the ability to watch the ball.

My daily wear glasses are all single vision (for distance). My insurance co. only pays for one pair of glasses a year so I can't get prescription readers without having to pay for them. I prefer to have the insurance co pay for my daily wear single vision so I can play tennis. Maybe, someday, when I find some extra money, I'll get a pair of progressives or bifocals.  My reader prescription is slight; about .75 for each eye. For the moment, I can usually compensate for not having readers by holding whatever I am trying to read under a good light. What stinks is when the color of the print is close to the color of the background; no amount of light helps decipher black on dark brown.

For those things I do need readers for, like my current paperback where it appears the publisher tried to economize by reducing the print to the fit in the eye of a needle, I use readers. 

When I bought my first pair of readers (before my last eye exam), I had no idea there were different strengths. I figured they were like a magnifying glass (one size fits all) and grabbed the first pair of frames that I fancied. Soon after, I began to experience nausea and headaches and thought I was becoming ill. It took about three weeks before I put 2 and 2 together and realized the headaches and nausea were associated with the reading glasses. I went to the store and looked at the different strengths and realized the ones I had grabbed were 1.75. Way too strong. So now, my expensive B&N readers sit there, unused. They sure are pretty, though.

For now, I bought a bunch of 1.0s from the dollar store. I keep them on top of my head - aka headband -, in my tennis bag, in my coach bag, on my desk at work, two in my nightstand, one in the dining room/kitchen area, and one in my coat pocket. Because of my proclivity to wear them as a headband, they are never actually where I think I put them because I pop them backward on my head, walk around or go somewhere else, and then realize I have my work glasses in the car, or my home glasses at tennis, etc. I have ended up with three pair in my tennis bag, two in my pocket, and none at work. I actually had two on my head at once; one was placed a little farther back than the other. I have determined I am a dork.

I do like being able to buy cute frames - I have blue, purple, red, striped, rhinestones, flat black. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EKS said:

That's what progressives are for.

I wore glasses for 40+ years, every waking moment, because I was legally blind.  I hated it so bad.  I got zapped and have loved the freedom of not having to wear glasses all the time.  I don't think I would ever want to go back to that.

10 minutes ago, SKL said:

I wore glasses for 40+ years, every waking moment, because I was legally blind.  I hated it so bad.  I got zapped and have loved the freedom of not having to wear glasses all the time.  I don't think I would ever want to go back to that.

That's interesting because I find that, with progressives, *not* having to constantly deal with putting on and taking off reading glasses--to be able to see, essentially, naturally--is freeing as well.

I had a chain for my glasses when I worked full time.  I don't wear my glasses walking around at all, they mess with my depth perception.  So, I'd take them off, leave them on my desk, go to the copy machine and be unable to read the error message.  Dropping them to my chest was much easier.   Those times when I did remember to bring them, I'd carry them then leave them behind.   I do stick them in my shirt sometimes but they fall out if I bend over or it can look odd.

I don't want to wear them all the time plus I used to have bifocals way back when (evidently my distance vision used to be worse) and hated them.