Menu

AP Eng Lang AND AP Eng Lit?

Who took both AP Eng Lang and AP Eng Lit?

My ds is taking AP Eng Lang now with Walker (PAH). Doing well, learning a lot. We like the class a lot. Thinking to next year and need a good English class. Is it good to take both? (I know you don't usually get college credit for both, but it's more to show rigor for his schedule, etc). What is the difference b/w Lang and Lit, in a nutshell? Anyone?

• Like 1

My dd took AP Lang last year with Maya Inspektor at PA Homeschoolers and is taking AP Lit this year with Mrs. Inspektor. The classes are set up the same, but as stated above, AP Lit concentrates on literature and analysis. Some schools will give credit for both, and some will not. I think it is worth taking AP Lit because the content of the class is completely different. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mjbucks1 said:

My dd took AP Lang last year with Maya Inspektor at PA Homeschoolers and is taking AP Lit this year with Mrs. Inspektor. The classes are set up the same, but as stated above, AP Lit concentrates on literature and analysis. Some schools will give credit for both, and some will not. I think it is worth taking AP Lit because the content of the class is completely different. 

I agree.  My ds did both.  He thinks he is getting credit for both (one as an elective), but he's not horribly reliable about details like this. lol  It's very school dependent.  Language is mostly analyzing rhetorical techniques (arguements, rhetorical devices,etc) and focuses on non-fiction.  Lit is all lit analysis.

Dd took AP Lang (non-fiction) last year and is taking AP Lit (fiction) this year--her favorite subject. Different classes, different material as mentioned above. The classes teach very different techniques--very different styles of writing. Some of the schools Dd looked at give AP credit for both courses, some only give credit for one. She has throughly enjoyed both courses so that has been a bonus!