Menu

Early Decision Applications

Mom0012

My dd will be starting the application process this summer.  I understand that early decision applications are binding.  Does this mean that you can only apply ED to a school that you can afford to pay full freight to?  What if it is a school that fully meets need and based on their online calculator, we can afford it?  Is it still risky?  Is there any way to get a better grasp on the actual costs prior to applying?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mom0012 said:

My dd will be starting the application process this summer.  I understand that early decision applications are binding.  Does this mean that you can only apply ED to a school that you can afford to pay full freight to?  What if it is a school that fully meets need and based on their online calculator, we can afford it?  Is it still risky?  Is there any way to get a better grasp on the actual costs prior to applying?

No, ED is not only for the families that can pay full freight.  If the school is your child's top choice, and if the school's online calculator provides a number that you are comfortable paying, then applying ED may give your child a boost with admissions.  If your child is accepted, but the cost of attendance turns out to be different than what the school's online calculator indicated, you would be able to get out of the ED contract.

• Like 3

We’re not done visiting schools yet, but I think she will wind up with two or three schools she is very interested in.  I was thinking it might be wise to pick one of those and apply ED since those applications have substantially higher admission rates.  However, I have wondered if that is simply because they take a lot of full-pay students during that period.  It would be interesting to know how many ED applicants get financial aid at the schools she is interested in.  I will have to see if that info is somewhere on the common data set website.

One thing I was going to add is to do the NPC right before you apply.  I had an unpleasant surprise doing an NPC recently that was more favorable for us in the early fall.  

I have seen some data that shows ED bump for the average unhooked applicant (not athletic recruit, not a development admit, etc) at most schools is not super significant (even in some cases where the raw data looks significant) but if the money works and there's a clear favorite, why not.  I think ED favors schools much more than students and families myself,  but it serves some people well.  

Edited by FuzzyCatz
  • Like 1

At some schools, the ED stats include recruited athletes and legacies, and the bump is not so much more for an unhooked student. So keep that in mind when making your decision. That said, if the financial offer turns out to be very different from the NPC, you can generally back out of the agreement.

• Like 1