Menu

Pressed send on the big amazon order for SOTW3!

Ah, the combined feeling of relief and dread.  LOL.  

It's like that scene in Indiana Jones and the Holy Grail, "You have chosen... wisely." (At least, let's hope it's that one and not the "He chose... unwisely." scene!!!)

I swear by the time all this is done, I will have the best English language children's library in the country... in my living room.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, mykidsrmyjoy said:

Oh, fun! Books are my weakness, too. 

Would you mind sharing some of the titles you purchased? I love reading and gleaning from other people's book lists. 

Sure!  First, I'm going to use Collier's "Drama of American History" as a secondary spine, and will run it semi-concurrently with SOTW and we'll just pause SOTW from time to time to keep things sort of aligned.  We're doing both SOTW3 and Collier as audiobooks.  

Then, the add-in books/DVDs are in this excel sheet... Probably not quite a finished plan... still going to hunt out a few more documentaries and movies...  

My kids love graphic novels/comics and there are some great history-based ones out there.  They retain a lot of information from these.  I've got a few of them listed, but I haven't written out full titles.  If you see something and want more info, just let me know.  

ETA: asterisk are books I'm reading for my own education, (fr) are books in French, (a) are audiobooks, (k) is kindle.  I'm forever forgetting where books are located, and so I forget to use them at all!  

SOTW3 Plan.xlsx

Edited by Monica_in_Switzerland
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

Sure!  First, I'm going to use Collier's "Drama of American History" as a secondary spine, and will run it semi-concurrently with SOTW and we'll just pause SOTW from time to time to keep things sort of aligned.  We're doing both SOTW3 and Collier as audiobooks.  

Then, the add-in books/DVDs are in this excel sheet... Probably not quite a finished plan... still going to hunt out a few more documentaries and movies...  

My kids love graphic novels/comics and there are some great history-based ones out there.  They retain a lot of information from these.  I've got a few of them listed, but I haven't written out full titles.  If you see something and want more info, just let me know.  

ETA: asterisk are books I'm reading for my own education, (fr) are books in French, (a) are audiobooks, (k) is kindle.  I'm forever forgetting where books are located, and so I forget to use them at all!  

SOTW3 Plan.xlsx

Thank you so much! 

• Like 1

I am always impressed by plans of books for the whole year! I always just pick up my copy of the A.G. or whatever reading list we have and pick a book. Once that is done, I pick another. I have never planned a whole year out at once! What a great feeling to know exactly what you are going to read. 

8 hours ago, 2_girls_mommy said:

I am always impressed by plans of books for the whole year! I always just pick up my copy of the A.G. or whatever reading list we have and pick a book. Once that is done, I pick another. I have never planned a whole year out at once! What a great feeling to know exactly what you are going to read. 

I wish I could be a little more casual about it, but since I have to get my English books shipped to me, I have to plan ahead.   But I do think planning it all out has advantages... I can see from the books I chose that we'll have a bigger emphasis on both the US revolution and American IIndians/Native Americans that SOTW, and we'll also spend more time on the French revolution as well.  Since I'm not a history buff, this helps me organize my thoughts a little in a subject where I feel a bit out of my depth.