Menu

Rethinking the title for dd's PE course

Maybe someone has some ideas for me to consider.

Dd is doing "PE" this year.  This is a graduation requirement in my state.  It turns out dd will also earn PE credit at the semester school she is planning to attend next year.  Had I known that, she would have spent that time on another subject this year but she is almost done now.  So now her transcript is going to be heavy on the PE credits.  No big deal.  But as I was thinking about this, I wondered if the PE credit she is currently earning might not be adequately named as it seems to encompass more than typical PE content.  Here is what I am requiring for successful completion of the credit (keep in mind that dd is a pretty serious athlete and this was tailored with that interest in mind):

180 hours of documented physical activity

Analysis of the data gathered from that documentation (pace, heart rate, distance, etc.....)

A pre-class two-page paper describing dd's goals, how she will measure/assess success, potential barriers, etc.....

A post-class two-page (not including tables and charts) paper summarizing if those goals were met, if not, why, methods for improvement, things she learned, etc....  This includes data analysis from her recorded activities.

Reading three books, of dd's choice with my approval, on the topics of fitness, nutrition, general health, training, injury-prevention, etc, with a write up of each book, summarizing the content and what dd can apply to her own health/fitness.

Selection of six new healthy meals, to be prepared for her family, with a short written summary of what she learned, what she would improve next time, difficulties, etc....

In the high school where we are zoned, there is a course of study option where Physical Education is the elective focus.  They list PE 1 and 2 of course.  But then also Fitness and Conditioning 1 and 2 as the grade 11 and 12 classes for those in that elective field.  One university catalog that I'm looking at online has a course for student athletes called " Athletic Training Education".  Maybe that title would fit since you said she is a pretty serious athlete.   I don't think I did that much school work to earn my group fitness instructor certificate. (just being silly with you). now off to read the replies that came in while I was typing.

edit to add:  agreeing with Lori that if it were me in my decisions, the clock hours would be PE for year.  The academic stuff you listed would be Health for semester. Where I live that's what we break it down like.  But if you want fancier titles, I gave my opinion.

Edited by cbollin
  • Like 1

My public high school catalog list this description quoted below for health. The school list graduation requirement as 2.25 high school credits for PE and 0.25 high school credit for health.

I think you have a 0.5 credit for Health already from what your daughter accomplished.

“Health 
Quarter Class

Students will gain knowledge and understanding of the social, physical, emotional, intellectual, and spiritual aspects of the human body. Topics may include mental and emotional health, family and social health, growth and de- velopment, nutrition, personal health and physical activity, alcohol, tobacco and other drugs and finally communicable and chronic diseases. This class satisfies the state mandate known as the California Healthy Youth Act (Ed Code 51930 -51939) for comprehensive health education.”

Thanks for the suggestions.  I was thinking 1/2 credit each of PE and health but felt it was too slim on the health side.  Or one full credit of sport's health or training health or something.....since I think it is worth one full credit but it screwed more toward the PE side.

11 hours ago, BusyMom5 said:

Agree, I'd call the class health.  You still have half a semester left to restructure the course to be more of a health course.

Dd actually started this credit last spring so it is to be completed by the end of this month.  If I extended it, I feel I would need to award more credit, with I am reluctant to do since she will have another PE class next year.

2 hours ago, skimomma said:

Thanks for the suggestions.  I was thinking 1/2 credit each of PE and health but felt it was too slim on the health side.  Or one full credit of sport's health or training health or something.....since I think it is worth one full credit but it screwed more toward the PE side.

for some context and variety: Where I live 150 hours of documented physical activity is a 1 credit PE (1 credit = 1 year) and you don't have to do reports for that credit either.  So 180 hours plus stuff still says more than 1 credit.  If you really feel that for some reason health is too lite (I don't), then add in something doable like bystander CPR and let the rest be from skills learned in life along the way (such as dental health, etc). credit by assessment instead of by coursework. 

• Like 2