Menu

What's with the ads?

angelaguptathomas

Mercury fillings removed and replaced with less toxic substances-any btdt thughts?

My dentist did it gradually over several years as my teeth needed fillings replaced. I don't notice any difference.  FYI, if you have crowns, the mercury fillings in those teeth likely weren't removed to have a crown placed - they put crowns over the previous fillings.  I assume that reduces the amount of mercury released, since the crown is glued down and, at least theoretically, there isn't friction there to cause particles from being released and swallowed, but I don't know.   

I have had one filling replaced.  The dentist warned me that the tooth would be sensitive for a while.  The sensitivity to pressure tapered off after a few weeks, but extreme sensitivity to heat and cold lasted for months.  I switched to Sensodyne toothpaste which gave some relief.   I have other fillings that will need to be replaced eventually.  I am in no hurry for them to fail.

I asked my dentist about this. He will do it if the patient wants it. Otherwise, it’s not something he recommends.

I had this done inadvertently.  I went to a new dentist.  I knew I had some cavaties, but did not realize it was behind an old filling.  This dentist did not take any precautions and I was very lethargic and run down feeling for several days.  Like pp I also had serious pressure and hot/cold sensitivity.  It lasted for months. 

Another friend had it done carefully, but she ended up sick for about a month.

I have old mercury fillings that will stay until they are needing to get fixed.  I’m a little concerned that I will wind up with crowns because some of them are big and getting them out may cause more issues. It’s hard to know if getting them out would help with long term health.

7 minutes ago, bethben said:

I have old mercury fillings that will stay until they are needing to get fixed.  I’m a little concerned that I will wind up with crowns because some of them are big and getting them out may cause more issues. It’s hard to know if getting them out would help with long term health.

FWIW, when old fillings need replacing my dentist does a crown. She says when you drill out the old filling there's almost never enough tooth left to make re-filling feasible. I don't know if that's true or not, but it's her spiel. I've had a couple done w/o any problem other than the hassle of having it done. But worrying about health issues from mercury fillings isn't something I'm concerned about at all.

• Like 1

I had all my amalgams removed (8-10) a number of years ago. I used an IAOMT dentist, because they take extra safety precautions. You need to be taking something to chelate out all the mercury you'll get exposed to. I don't regret having it done, but I'm not sure it's like wow made a big difference. I was very sick at the time as was trying anything to get well.

• Thanks 1

My last dentist recommended it.  The current dentist says she doesn't because 1) amalgams are stable as is, 2) removing them exposes you to a LOT of mercury, and 3) it weakens your teeth, making increasing the risk for crowns and root canals.  She prefers a conservative approach and is suspicious that anyone who doesn't is more interested in filling their pockets than a patients well being.

• Like 4

I had it done....more for aesthetics at the time because it was before the big mercury awareness.  I didn't have any issues, and I can't point to noticeable benefit.

My dad had it done because Alzheimer's runs in his family. I think he had it done in two sessions. I don't remember him having any ill effects. Definitely use an IAOMT dentist, as PeterPan mentioned, so that they take the appropriate precautions.

• Like 1

I suppose I'll have my old mercury fillings replaced if those fillings ever require replacing, but otherwise I'm not worrying about it at all.  I don't see enough evidence that this is a real health concern, although there might be certain individuals for whom replacing mercury fillings is recommended.  

• Like 2

My  dentist replaces them as they fail with either crowns ( a number had to have that and it was started with previous dentist) or composites.  I have not noticed any difference.

5 hours ago, geodob said:

Their is a protocol for mercury filling removal: 'Safe Mercury Amalgam Removal Technique (SMART)'.
Here's a link that explains it:
https://iaomt.org/resources/safe-removal-amalgam-fillings/

Though given the dangers involved with removal, it may be safer to leave them in place?

He's since retired, but the founder of the dental practice we go to took this stand. He felt like a wholesale replacement of fillings would be too dangerous for most individuals. Your body is made to process some level of mercury although the less is better of course. He told me that he was having his replaced as soon as there was any doubt at all about their integrity. With me, he replaced them as soon as there was any sign of a crack or separation. I've had about half of my 20+ year old fillings done, but the rest are still holding up.

He felt like many of the people who had problems had filings that either weren't done right or were failing. Some dentists don't do filings right and some aren't diligent to fully check them each time that you have a checkup. And yes, that office follows the SMART protocol. That office also hasn't done mercury fillings in over a decade. They switched over as soon as he felt like composites were as good as mercury fillings in terms of usability and performance. 

My mercury filling was pulling away from the tooth recently, so the dentist replaced it with a porcelain one.  I haven't noticed any reaction from toxicity, and hope I won't...

The only thing I noticed is the porcelain doesn't have as much 'give' when biting down, so that took a little getting used to at first, as the material isn't as soft as the merc.  I wasn't warned about any sensitivities, so I am glad to learn that here.  There has been just a little of that.  

I would precaution you to learn all you can about toxic exposure, wish I had learned more, just in case...

On 1/22/2019 at 7:40 AM, klmama said:

My dentist did it gradually over several years as my teeth needed fillings replaced. I don't notice any difference.  FYI, if you have crowns, the mercury fillings in those teeth likely weren't removed to have a crown placed - they put crowns over the previous fillings.  I assume that reduces the amount of mercury released, since the crown is glued down and, at least theoretically, there isn't friction there to cause particles from being released and swallowed, but I don't know.   

I have had two crowns.  In both cases, the dentist not only removed the filling but also all the enamel on the tooth.  All that was left was a nub of dentin.  He explained that it would be very risky to cover an old filling with a crown.  There could be space between the filling and the tooth, which could harbor bacteria and allow decay.  There could even be decay already that can't be seen in x-rays.  If you're going to get a crown, you need to start clean.

On 1/22/2019 at 9:22 AM, Katy said:

My last dentist recommended it.  The current dentist says she doesn't because 1) amalgams are stable as is, 2) removing them exposes you to a LOT of mercury, and 3) it weakens your teeth, making increasing the risk for crowns and root canals.  She prefers a conservative approach and is suspicious that anyone who doesn't is more interested in filling their pockets than a patients well being.

My dentist prefers not to remove amalgam fillings for all the reasons you indicate.  Removing them exposes you (and the staff) to mercury dust, whereas encapsulated mercury in the filling isn't going to leach from its sealed surface.  Removing it will require removing more of the tooth, which will weaken the tooth.  Also, amalgam lasts about twice as long as composite material.  

For all these reasons, I wouldn't dream of removing my amalgam fillings.  They're serving their purpose just fine.

2 hours ago, Suzanne in ABQ said:

I have had two crowns.  In both cases, the dentist not only removed the filling but also all the enamel on the tooth.  All that was left was a nub of dentin.  He explained that it would be very risky to cover an old filling with a crown.  There could be space between the filling and the tooth, which could harbor bacteria and allow decay.  There could even be decay already that can't be seen in x-rays.  If you're going to get a crown, you need to start clean.

It sounds like you have a careful dentist. I thought that was what was done when I had my crowns placed.  Imagine my surprise when one 20 yo crown came off and I saw my old amalgam filling still there.  I was able to go in right away for it to be reattached.  The dentist (new to me) said it was fairly common to place crowns over teeth with the old filling still there.  He was elderly and just subbing that day, so I don't know if it's current practice at this dental office or not.  I'll have to ask next time.