Menu

What's with the ads?

crazyforlatin

Clover Valley Intro to Organic Chem and Biochem

As most of you know, this class is fairly new. And, usually high level science courses are taken at CC. But DD is not ready for CC science courses. 

Dicentra, feel free to jump in so the info for your class is here rather than having dozens of questions in your inbox :). 

If someone has taken this, how many hours per week? 

Does this class overlap with AP Chem? In other words, will it introduce topics covered in AP Chem and provide an “advantage” with learning the material in AP Chem? Or is this really a different path from the AP Chem path? 

If there is no lab, can we still assign one credit? 

Edited by crazyforlatin
Grammar

12 hours ago, crazyforlatin said:

As most of you know, this class is fairly new. And, usually high level science courses are taken at CC. But DD is not ready for CC science courses. 

Dicentra, feel free to jump in so the info for your class is here rather having dozens of questions in your inbox :). 

If someone has taken this, how many hours per week? 

Does this class overlap with AP Chem? In other words, will it introduce topics covered in AP Chem and provide an “advantage” with learning the material in AP Chem? Or is this really a different path from the AP Chem path? 

If there is no lab, can we still assign one credit? 

As it's brand, spanking new, no one will ever have taken it before. 🙂  I had offered it last year but decided to postpone it until this year in order to not completely overwhelm myself with work in my first year on the advice of @Lori D. - who is exceedingly wise. 🙂  Well - I did teach it to my daughter in her Grade 12 year.  We could ask her questions to see if she remembers anything!

The hours of work per week will probably be around the same as the Honors Chem BUT (and this is an important "BUT") there is a LARGE volume of information to memorize in organic chemistry and biochemistry.  If a student is good at memorizing and can do it quickly, that student will obviously spend less time than a student who needs a lot of time and repetition to memorize things.  That's really the toughest part to the intro version of those subjects - the sheer amount of stuff to know and then being able to apply it.  One of the things I struggled with the most when I was first taking organic and biochem was having to take 2-D drawings of molecules and turn them into 3-D structures in my head.  So - visualizing. 🙂

I would say it's a completely different path than AP Chemistry.  The new AP Chemistry (well - new in 2013) is almost exclusively physical chemistry (or phys chem) which is the math-heavy parts of chemistry - thermodynamics, kinetics, equilibrium, acids/bases, etc.  Organic chem and biochem (at the introductory level, anyway) are virtually math free but require lots of visualizing, memorizing, and sketching and manipulating of molecules.  I think AP Chemistry has a tiny portion of organic chem included.  Mr. Moskaluk sent me an email just after Christmas to give me a heads-up that he has a number of AP Chem students who were really enjoying the bit of organic chem and so he was sending them my way to look into the IOCBC course (Introduction to Organic Chemistry and Biochemistry - I made an acronym 🙂 ).

As for assigning credits, I'll leave that up to the planning gurus here on the board. 🙂  I'm not sure what the rules are in the States - I would imagine it would depend on your state and/or what colleges you're student is looking at applying for.  I can't imagine a college faulting a homeschooler for not doing organic and/or biochem labs at home, though.  The equipment required for those labs would only be found in a university lab and the chemicals required to perform the labs would be impossible to get as an individual and just aren't safe to have in your home.  My plan is to have the students do some simple labs on polymers that we can do at home and to search out some virtual alternatives for the others.

Hope that helps!

• Like 3

Thanks for explanation. Certainly a class we will consider in a year or so when the 8th grader completes AP. Can you evaluate the class in context of the typical premed organic class? How much of a jump would it give him? Thanks

• Like 2

12 hours ago, gstharr said:

Thanks for explanation. Certainly a class we will consider in a year or so when the 8th grader completes AP. Can you evaluate the class in context of the typical premed organic class? How much of a jump would it give him? Thanks

Having done my university studies in Canada, I don't know if I can speak to typical organic classes in the States. 🙂  For here, there wouldn't be a separate premed organic class - there would just be the normal intro organic class that everyone would take who needed a start to organic chem.  For my degree in organic chemistry, I took that class in second year.  It was a full 8 month course (Sept-April) and there was a cumulative final exam at the end of the course.  Second year was also when I took the normal intro biochem class - again, full year course with a cumulative final at the end.  Having said that, there's no way my course covers what would have been covered in those two full year courses in uni. 🙂  I think, though, that my course would definitely help out by giving a student exposure to organic naming and drawing of structures, some reactions, mechanism types, isomerism of various kinds, intro to the 4 main categories of biochemicals (carbohydrates, fats, proteins, and nucleic acids), and looking at some of the metabolic pathways.  This is a link to the description on my website:

http://www.clovervalleychemistry.com/introduction-to-organic-chemistry-biochemistry/

Even if a student doesn't necessarily remember everything from my course once he/she is at uni, at least it will be the second time seeing many of the concepts and that always helps.  If you like, there are sample videos linked on my website to the first chapter we would cover.  In addition, here is the link for the first video in the protein chapter and here is a link for a video on mechanisms if you'd like to see more of the "meaty" stuff. 🙂

• Like 3

Now that the 8th grader has started ApChem, I looked through your site in planning his next step.  Your organic class seems a perfect next step.  Will see you when he finishes AP.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, gstharr said:

Now that the 8th grader has started ApChem, I looked through your site in planning his next step.  Your organic class seems a perfect next step.  Will see you when he finishes AP.

Sounds good, gstharr!  Let me know if you have any questions about the course between now and then!