Menu

How can turnips be made to taste less bitter?

Teaching3bears

Perhaps try what I do with eggplant. Peel and slice and put salt on the slices. Then rinse salt off after about 15 min and proceed as planned.

ETA: Just remembered: Someone I know boils them very soft and mashes them like potatoes and seasons them liberally. May be worth a try.

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 1

I tend to supertaste some bitter flavors to the point where coffee and beer are completely unpalatable. Brussels sprouts are too. Turnips don’t even hit the edge for me. I don’t think of them as a bitter food. However, if you’re not a picky eater, there’s no harm in eliminating an occasional offensive food from your diet. 

My other answer is butter and salt.😬

Getting smaller ones will help.  I didn’t know this and I cooked a larger turnip once, and it was really not good.  I think it was all thrown away.  

I think that if the greens are attached then that is a really good sign, but I don’t often see them that way.  My mom will get them with greens attached anytime she sees them for a reasonable price.