Menu

need online writing course recommendations

Did a search on here and got a few ideas which I've researched but still don't know what to choose.  I need an online writing course for my 10th grader who doesn't like to write.  He writes okay but not quite up to the level he should be.  Writing does not come naturally to him and he does the minimum to get by.  He needs a teacher other than me to learn from and be accountable to.  Can y'all recommend something please?  Needs to be something I can start now (many online courses are closed for spring registration) and at least 8 weeks' duration.  Right now the only affordable options seem to be Time4Writing, WriteAtHome, and Outschool.com.  Thank you for your help!

• 2 weeks later...

Write At Home will keep him writing and we've been pleased with it when we just didn't want a year that involved grammar or literature. We are using it for our 10th grader right now (not a naturally gifted writer) after a few years of TPS English courses (which we've been very pleased with). My oldest did W@H for one year as well and it helped her round out some skills and just get used to writing more often than she had to date. She is naturally good with writing. So, for what it is worth, we've used them twice for different students and have been/are satisfied.

• Like 1

Thanks, jjwoll!  That is very helpful.  We are starting a course with Outschool tomorrow.  But I will know that W@H is probably a good option for next semester.  Thanks also for mentioning TPS.  I hadn't heard of it so looked it up.  Why did you switch from TPS to W@H?  It looks like a good choice too.