Menu

Writing difficulty for perfectionist

C&W'sMum

I would appreciate any suggestions for resources you all used that helped build writing confidence in your kids.  We just received my son's 6th grade ERB scores.  He did awesome in math and quantitative reasoning, as I expected.  However, his writing and reading comprehension scores came back between the 60-70s, which are surprisingly low.  He is so knowledgeable on so many subjects from self-directed reading or research.  Yet, he can't translate that onto the paper.  He has always had difficulties with perfectionism and assumed if he was writing it down, it had to be perfect.  I've been working on this for years.  When he writes papers for school, it is a brutal battle of him criticizing his work and stating it isn't what the teacher wanted (yet not knowing exactly what she does want).  After the battle, he usually gets an A, but it is a miserable hair-pulling process.  

I got a Critical Thinking book on Building Thinking Skills to work on the reading comprehension, but I'd appreciate any ideas on building writing skills and reading comprehension.

Thanks!

On 1/21/2019 at 7:54 AM, C&W'sMum said:

I would appreciate any suggestions for resources you all used that helped build writing confidence in your kids.  We just received my son's 6th grade ERB scores.  He did awesome in math and quantitative reasoning, as I expected.  However, his writing and reading comprehension scores came back between the 60-70s, which are surprisingly low.  He is so knowledgeable on so many subjects from self-directed reading or research.  Yet, he can't translate that onto the paper.  He has always had difficulties with perfectionism and assumed if he was writing it down, it had to be perfect.  I've been working on this for years.  When he writes papers for school, it is a brutal battle of him criticizing his work and stating it isn't what the teacher wanted (yet not knowing exactly what she does want).  After the battle, he usually gets an A, but it is a miserable hair-pulling process.  

I got a Critical Thinking book on Building Thinking Skills to work on the reading comprehension, but I'd appreciate any ideas on building writing skills and reading comprehension.

Thanks!

My 8th grader does extremely well on the erb cpt test. However. There is as always a 5 or 6 in reading. There really is no writing.  Its grammar. Spelling, vocab  and reading comp. I really don't worry too much about it because grades and other factors do not suggest a problem