Menu

The Rainbow Science for high school?

I'm looking at The Rainbow Science for my DD for next year which will be her 8th grade year.  If she continues year two in 9th grade, can that count for her first year of high school science credit?  Their website says each year is equivalent to a year of high school science based on the number of hours and labs, although it does not give credit equivalents.  And year two is bio/life science, which they say is equivalent to an introduction to biology.  I'm not just sure how this will all work as I start to plan her high school classes.  

FWIW, I do not see her going into a science field.  She will probably graduate high school and then take community college classes for an associates degree and then take it from there as to what to pursue in college or life.  Or start dual enrollment her junior and senior year of high school.  

Yes, BUT only when doing BOTH year 1 AND year 2 in one year (9th grade). I have seen a few people on these boards use Rainbow Science in this way for 1 credit of Physical Science (or "Integrated Science") in 9th grade. Physical Science is frequently the 9th grade lab science for non-STEM students in public / private / charter high schools. (Note: if doing both year 1 AND year 2 in 8th grade, I would NOT recommend counting it as a high school credit on the transcript. Typically, science credits that are "brought up" from middle school are Biology and above, as Physical Science is most typically the standard 8th grade science for the average student.)

In case it helps, here's a list of other lighter lab sciences for non-STEM students or for students not interested in the more traditional Biology / Chemistry / Physics rotation -- and some links to past threads with ideas about resources for those sciences:

- Botany / Horticulture
   "Looking for interesting Botany and/or Agricultural Science curriculum"
   "I've updated my free Botany curriculum"
   "Botany with a focus on hydroponics"
- Zoology
     "High school level Zoology"
     "High school Zoology"
- Ecology
- Environmental Science
     "Environmental Science"
    "Oak Meadow Environmental Science - 1 semester?"
     "AP Environmental Science with PA Homeschoolers" [the online course provider]
     "1 semester online Environmental Science?"
     "Favorite resources for Environmental Science?"
- Forensic Science
     "Forensic Science curriculum?"
     "Forensic Science"
     "Forensics"
     "Forensic Science" -- different thread; links to a resource
- Geology / Earth Science
     "Suggestions for Earth Science text and curriculum materials?"
     "Anyone know of an online rigorous Earth Science course"
     "Earth Science for 9th grader"
     "Earth Science?"
     "Mr Q's Advanced Earth Science or Oak Meadow - opinions?"
     "How do I add labs to Earth Science?"
- Astronomy
     "Astronomy"
     "Astronomy Recommendations?"
     "High School Astronomy?"
     "Can you help me design an Astronomy course?"
- Meteorology (weather science)
     "Meteorology course?"

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kristin0713 said:

...Their website says each year is equivalent to a year of high school science based on the number of hours and labs, although it does not give credit equivalents.  And year two is bio/life science, which they say is equivalent to an introduction to biology...

Any high school credit is about meeting a certain amount of rigor and depth of material, in addition to number of hours/labs. I have not used Rainbow Science, but in looking at the scope and sequence, I would NOT count year 2 as 1 credit of "Intro to Biology". Not even 0.5 credit. Just not enough "meat" (rigor and depth) to count as high school material. You would have to beef it up a LOT with more meaty materials in order to make it into a high school credit, whether for a science major OR a non-STEM student. JMO.

• Like 1

Thank you, that is so helpful!  So then I am back to the drawing board for 8th grade.  I'd like to give her a year of general, lab based science next year.  I want a Christian curriculum that comes with absolutely everything, has clear expectations, is textbook based (supplemental readings are fine), and will prepare her well to take college prep courses in high school.  I'm not looking for light, but not honors or AP.  Any suggestions?

38 minutes ago, kristin0713 said:

Thank you, that is so helpful!  So then I am back to the drawing board for 8th grade.  I'd like to give her a year of general, lab based science next year.  I want a Christian curriculum that comes with absolutely everything, has clear expectations, is textbook based (supplemental readings are fine), and will prepare her well to take college prep courses in high school.  I'm not looking for light, but not honors or AP.  Any suggestions?

Well, you could certainly do both year 1 and year 2 of Rainbow Science for 8th grade -- that would have your student doing science 4x/week (2 reading days alternating with 2 lab days), working about 30-45 min/day. And by doing both year 1 + year 2 in one year, that's everything on your wish list. It is a middle school program for the average student that covers the typical topics of General Science (year 1 = Physical Science (which is typically an overview of Chemistry & Physics topics), year 2 = Life Science topics, with a little earth science, meteorology, and general science thrown in). It is "complete", teaches the student how to do labs, has clear explanations, and can be largely done solo. The only negative is that it may not go into as much depth as you wish. That could be addressed by adding some books or a text with more depth.

Another "complete package" Christian option is Switched on Schoolhouse gr. 8 Science General Science II ($90). The 10 units cover the following topics: Science & Society; Structure of Matter; Health & Nutrition; Energy; Machines; Balance in Nature; Science & Tech, and there is a lab supply kit ($57), plus here is the list of labs & needed supplies beyond the supply kit (mostly common items found in the kitchen). SOS has everything you're asking for, with the only negative being that the topics covered are not the typical General Science overview topics. (The topics of "structure of matter" (2 units), and "energy" (2 units), are very typical grade 8 Physical Science topics. The other topics are less commonly covered.)

An alternative might be to work up 1 grade and do SOS 9th grade: Integrated Physics & Chemistry ($90). It is 11 units that cover: explorations in physical science; structure of matter; matter & change; states of matter; motions & forces; work & energy; heat flow; electricity & magnetism; waves; chemistry & physics in our world. The lab kit is $111. Since many 8th graders typically take Physical Science in 8th grade, I don't think this would be too rigorous for your student.

Apologia Physical Science is Christian, and designed for grade 8 or 9. It is a formal textbook with quizzes/tests book. Labs are written into the text. Lab supplies can be purchased as a separate kit ($54). We only used Apologia Biology, so I don't know if the Physical Science is similar, but we disliked the author's chatty text (just get to the point!), and the layout of the text. We found it physically hard to read, as it is an oversized text (extra wide), with narrow margins, so the lines of text are so long that the eye fatigues and wants to jump to the next line when you are only about 2/3 of the way through reading the line of text, which led to losing your place in the text and confusion during reading. That was just our experience; lots of families love Apologia.

• Like 1

Thank you, Lori!

The Rainbow Science is very appealing to me if I can make it work to do the course in one year.  I don't want to overload her, but doing science 30-45 minutes a day, four days a week with room to add extra reading is perfect.  I'm not so crazy about two labs in one week  😝 😅 but from everything that I've read, I think this program would be a great fit for her. 

• Like 1