Menu

Barton with previous OG tutoring

Would you use Barton differently with a child with previous OG experience? My 12 year old has been tutored and been using Nessy. He passed the screening and we went through level 1 in one week. If he was already up to spelling rules with Nessy should I test him of level 2?

Would you even bother with barton for a child who is reading but needs help spelling? I suspect dyslexia with my youngest so I am buying the program anyway. 

Thanks

Did you buy level 1 directly from Barton or used? If you bought it directly from Barton, she's going to trade you out and get you to level 2 immediately. Yes, she has ways to test you through levels. I would just call and talk with her. She's absolutely lovely and would be happy to.

Yes, that's the challenge of a fully scripted program, that it's harder to advance and target your instruction. You're paying for it all to be spelled out. If you want something more flexible, you could look up the free MA Rooney Foundation materials. They're OG.

All that said, I think spelling is the endless pit. Could he spell more previously in the past and then lost it? Have you had his visual processing checked by a developmental optometrist to make sure he has adequate/appropriate visual memory? I'm getting ready to take my ds in a few weeks. Is his spelling FUNCTIONAL with tech? Or is it so bad that even tech can hardly help him? 

That 7th/8th grade range was where I basically pulled the plug on spelling with my dd. I think you have to look at the whole picture and see how much progress he's making, how much potential he has (how much will he improve with intervention), make sure there are no barriers, and look at functionality. Odds are he will make progress and because he's older he can go quickly. OneStep, who used to post here a ton, got a wonderful boost in spelling for her dc who was already reading. Again, you want to make sure visual memory is intact, that there are no developmental vision or other problems glitching it.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2019 at 12:54 PM, PeterPan said:

Did you buy level 1 directly from Barton or used? If you bought it directly from Barton, she's going to trade you out and get you to level 2 immediately. Yes, she has ways to test you through levels. I would just call and talk with her. She's absolutely lovely and would be happy to.

Yes, that's the challenge of a fully scripted program, that it's harder to advance and target your instruction. You're paying for it all to be spelled out. If you want something more flexible, you could look up the free MA Rooney Foundation materials. They're OG.

All that said, I think spelling is the endless pit. Could he spell more previously in the past and then lost it? Have you had his visual processing checked by a developmental optometrist to make sure he has adequate/appropriate visual memory? I'm getting ready to take my ds in a few weeks. Is his spelling FUNCTIONAL with tech? Or is it so bad that even tech can hardly help him? 

That 7th/8th grade range was where I basically pulled the plug on spelling with my dd. I think you have to look at the whole picture and see how much progress he's making, how much potential he has (how much will he improve with intervention), make sure there are no barriers, and look at functionality. Odds are he will make progress and because he's older he can go quickly. OneStep, who used to post here a ton, got a wonderful boost in spelling for her dc who was already reading. Again, you want to make sure visual memory is intact, that there are no developmental vision or other problems glitching it.

I got level 1 used but it's ok b/c my youngest is still using it. 

Oldest with previous tutoring is also a VT graduate, so I'm confident about his vision being ok. His spelling improved with Nessy. I did the post tests for Barton and he's be in 3 with his reading above that level. I think I'm going to go ahead and continue with him but not hold back writing and reading comprehension anymore.

Thanks, your questions helped me figure it out 🙂

• Like 2