Menu

Opposite result from Marie Kondo's show

Kanin

I just got a hilarious voicemail from my mother, saying that the people in her town are watching Marie Kondo's show on Netflix, and are purging their houses like crazy. She's on her way to Goodwill to snag all the cool things other people are ditching! 🤣

• Like 15
  • Haha 23

Maybe that is why my Goodwill was so well stocked with nice clothes the last time I went!  I was in shock.  I rounded out my entire summer wardrobe for $25 since most warm weather stuff was  tagged  99 cents.  They were all good quality, no stains, and not stretched/faded items. 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, StellaM said:

I actually think thats MK working perfectly. 

Something that had served its purpose in one home now gets to go be appreciated in another - win-win!

People get confused because they think MK is a minimalist - she isn't. 

You're right, she's not a minimalist. Watching her show, I was surprised at the amount of stuff people kept.

I tend to go to Goodwill and buy things because they're "good deals" - and then never using/wearing much of what I buy. Working on that!!

• Like 3

Have totally been tempted to check out her show but don’t really think we have that much extra stuff apart from old furniture that DH wants to keep until spring for some reason. But maybe she would show me my weak areas! Just don’t want to get rid of something then a year and a half later need it—something DH experienced this past week....🙄

50 minutes ago, Ema said:

Have totally been tempted to check out her show but don’t really think we have that much extra stuff apart from old furniture that DH wants to keep until spring for some reason. But maybe she would show me my weak areas! Just don’t want to get rid of something then a year and a half later need it—something DH experienced this past week....🙄

Decluttering is really only one component of the whole system, although it's the one that gets the most attention. But I think even for people who don't have overflowing closets and spare rooms full of junk, there's still a lot to be gained from the idea of being very intentional about the stuff you do have, to really appreciate the things you have and to maybe take a different approach to bringing new things into the house. She also has some good ideas about organization, so even the families on the show that kept quite a lot of stuff felt like it was finally all organized and accessible. I think that alone can go a long way towards making a home more comfortable, and maintaining it less stressful.

I also found the human element of the shows quite touching — you can really see how much the family members love each other, and you can see how the mess (and often very different approaches to saving vs decluttering) causes a lot of tension and arguments. I think each of the couples ended up really learning something about themselves and their partners and came out with stronger relationships. My favorite was the show with the family who moved from a big house to a 2-BR apartment, and the mom felt so much guilt about this little cramped apartment not feeling like a home for her family. In the end, the husband and two kids all realized how much pressure they had put on her, and they all stepped up to the plate. Those kids were so sweet and articulate and thoughtful. ❤️ So I think even for people who don't need to declutter, there are still some useful lessons, and beyond that it's just a bit of feel-good TV.

• Like 4

Oh, time to check my local thrift stores!  I have become allergic to polyester and have found natural materials with no polyester more common in mens clothing or older women's clothing.  Most of my jackets and sweatshirts are mens right now, although my husband found a cool organic jacket for me recently. Pants are particularly hard to find, I cannot tolerate more than 1% poly in pants and tops have to be 100% natural, but there are plenty of 100% cotton t-shirts still.

On 1/19/2019 at 4:01 PM, TX Native said:

Maybe that is why my Goodwill was so well stocked with nice clothes the last time I went!  I was in shock.  I rounded out my entire summer wardrobe for $25 since most warm weather stuff was  tagged  99 cents.  They were all good quality, no stains, and not stretched/faded items. 

it makes sense that MK will increase the Good Stuff that the stores have.   That would be the things that people would keep because they think they Should like them, but then MK because they don't.  

I turned on NPR in the car, and boom! A story about how the show is leading to great finds in thrift stores across the country. Woo hoo!

They also said that Netflix was genius for releasing the show on January 1st, right in time for New Year's resolutions.

• Like 1

small brag.   
I went GoodWill shopping yesterday.   I applied 'Sparks Joy' to purchases and walked away with just two really nice skirts.   
I am not ready to declutter my closet yet because I'm actively dieting.  I don't know if some of the clothes too small for me right now don't Spark Joy because they don't fit at the moment or because they don't Spark Joy.