Menu

Binge-worthy Podcasts?

Just Kate

I am packing up for a 13+ hour car trip this weekend and I would love some new podcasts to listen to. I enjoy podcasts with a beginning and an end, that tell a story. As an example, some of my favorites have been:

- In the Dark (loved season 2 about Curtis Flowers)

- Standoff (about Ruby Ridge)

- The Dream (about MLM companies)

- Cold (about Susan Powell)

- Sold in America (about sexual exploitation in America)

Any favorites that you might recommend to make my drive go a little quicker?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Caroline said:

West Cork is about a murder investigation in Ireland. 

Ditto West Cork &  Serial

I'll add: 

Accused - the unsolved murder of Elizabeth Andes. Investigative journalism long piece from Cincinnati Enquirer

Murder We Wrote - it's kind of silly at times but kept my attn

(Framed otoh - I finished it but just barely. I was interested in the story but the execution was a bit meh)

Deadly Manners otoh was great. It's more like an old style radio play. 10 episodes I think... LeVar Burton is one of the actors in it. 

Speaking of LeVar (edit - oh lol that's not the name of the podcast,. I can't remember what he calls it) - his podcast of him reading short stories for adults

Edited by hornblower

31 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

Please do link the title of that Levar short story podcast if you remember it!

I’ve also enjoyed Up & Vanished and Dr Death. 

OP, not sure if you like theology but if so, and for others, What You Missed in the Bible/Bible History is one I’ve enjoyed. 

I remembered it while walking the dogs - it's simply called LeVar Burton Reads! http://www.levarburtonpodcast.com/ He hand picks the stories. I listened to a sci fi one and a  more literary one. I found it a bit more 'heavy' rather than an easy diversion tho, kwim? It doesn't make it on my playlist on the days I want fluffier stuff - which honestly is all the time now

• Like 1

I've recently started listening to the Armchair Expert w/ Dax Shepherd. He has a number of interesting interviewees on. I listened to Ted Danson today. 

If you're interested in legal stuff, Stay Tuned w/ Preet Bahara. 

If you like football, the Around the NFL podcast is excellent.

I'm enjoying all of the suggestions - thank you for asking this question, I have a bunch of new ones to check out!

ETA: Sorry, just reread and saw you want story format. So, Stuff You Missed in History Class, Sherlock Holmes, and Agatha Raisin.

I'll leave the others up in case anyone is interested in general podcasts.

Stuff You Missed in History Class

The Minimalist

TED Radio Hour

Freakanomics

Adam Ruins Everything

Left, Right, and Center

Sherlock Holmes (Internet Archives)

Agatha Raisin (based on the books)

Edited by SquirrellyMama

On 1/19/2019 at 12:32 PM, hornblower said:

I remembered it while walking the dogs - it's simply called LeVar Burton Reads! http://www.levarburtonpodcast.com/ He hand picks the stories. I listened to a sci fi one and a  more literary one. I found it a bit more 'heavy' rather than an easy diversion tho, kwim? It doesn't make it on my playlist on the days I want fluffier stuff - which honestly is all the time now

I was just thinking I needed to do a podcast for kids reading children’s books. I have a weird, kinda raspy voice that kids seem to love (or be deathly afraid of).

Edited by StaceyinLA
  • Like 1

On 1/18/2019 at 9:07 PM, Just Kate said:

I

- Cold (about Susan Powell)

Thanks for mentioning this one. I have been listening to it on my commute for the past several days. I knew nothing about his case. Quite riveting - in part because so many of the people kept journals, including audio journals. Really adds to it to hear their own voices