Menu

4th grade geography

Ema

Just looking for thoughts on 4th grade geography. We did Memoria Press’ United States Geography this year with my 3rd grader. Looking at their World Geography for next year but think it may be just a bit too much for her next year. I also have a 1st grader who will want to get in on whatever her sister does next year. Looking at Trail Guide to World Geography (do we need the CD??? Or just the book?) We do SoTW, so get maps in there, but would like a little more. What are some suggestions for good curriculum?

Also, I hate to even ask this cause the thought of it depresses me, but do I need to teach my kids map skills in workbooks like Evan Moore? We do compasses and directions just in daily life and we use maps not GPS, so the get a lot of that kind of thing already. We are also going to take a road trip to the East Coast next summer, and I will have them help plot our course and guide us on the way. Do I really need to do those workbooks? They just seem like busy work needed only to get them ready for “Standardized Testing!”

Rod and Staff has an excellent 4th grade geography book...I have everyone of my kids do it as their first independent study book.  It studies all continents and habitats and has you do tracing and labeling from the back of the textbook.  It is actually written for 4th/5th grade...I HUG it😁.

Brenda

• Like 1

20 hours ago, homemommy83 said:

Rod and Staff has an excellent 4th grade geography book...I have everyone of my kids do it as their first independent study book.  It studies all continents and habitats and has you do tracing and labeling from the back of the textbook.  It is actually written for 4th/5th grade...I HUG it😁.

Brenda

I like their spelling curriculum, but haven’t looked too much at their other stuff. Will check it out, thanks!

• Like 1

I went through a geography workbook orally with my little kids earlier in the year. They like maps and so loved talking about them with me, and it helped me to remember to hit on a variety of topics (plateau just hadn't come up in our daily life observations, for example). If you are worried your kids have missed something that might be on a standardized test, you could flip through a workbook and talk over the pages containing those aspects/concepts you aren't sure they know.

15 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

If you want something lighter, less workbooky, Beautiful Feet Geography is fun. Literature based, with map drawing. 

Yes, looking through R&S geography, I definitely want something less workbooky. Looked good, just not what I am looking for. Will take a look at Beautiful Feet. We like to read a lot here! Thanks for the suggestion 🙂

6 minutes ago, xahm said:

I went through a geography workbook orally with my little kids earlier in the year. They like maps and so loved talking about them with me, and it helped me to remember to hit on a variety of topics (plateau just hadn't come up in our daily life observations, for example). If you are worried your kids have missed something that might be on a standardized test, you could flip through a workbook and talk over the pages containing those aspects/concepts you aren't sure they know.

Yeah, we don’t have words like geyser and fjord (well, the horse we talk about!) in our everyday conversations, living in the plains! They are going through Geography A-Z independently, copying definitions and drawing pictures. They like it, and my 1st grader asked if something was an archipelago the other day, so they must be learning at least a bit. Will just have to look at a book like you said and see if there is anything else I think we need to touch on. Thanks!

• Like 1

We really have loved this combo:

Visualize World Geography, Draw_____, Geography songs, occasionally cooking from the Cook Around the World Book when it fits, board games that are map based, and then as we read lit and history we pull out a dry erase map and trace our travels. I also will find beautifully illustrated picture books set in different countries when I can find them at the library. We did this well when covering Africa as there are so many gorgeous and touching books for Africa.

Treating it relevantly and organically has really caused my kids to not only love geography but be super good at it. I don't feel too many workbook things are necessary if you can fold it in to history and lit. 

• Like 1

We did the Guest Hollow world geography curriculum and enjoyed it very much. 

There is a lot to choose from. We just read the books we could get from the library. We checked out the recommended cookbook from the library over and over and over. 😊  I did purchase the recommended workbook. The Complete Book of Maps and Geography Grades 3-6 My kids loved it but if it would feel like busywork to your family, it can be skipped. 

On 1/23/2019 at 10:49 AM, MrsRobinson said:

We did the Guest Hollow world geography curriculum and enjoyed it very much. 

There is a lot to choose from. We just read the books we could get from the library. We checked out the recommended cookbook from the library over and over and over. 😊  I did purchase the recommended workbook. The Complete Book of Maps and Geography Grades 3-6 My kids loved it but if it would feel like busywork to your family, it can be skipped. 

Haven’t heard of this one. Will look into it. Thanks!

• Like 1