Menu

Target inventory woes?

Katy

I think it is a busy target, given that I can never buy baby stuff I want when it happens to be a sale week unless I skip church and show up when the store opens, and the clearance section is the worst I've ever seen in a Target, but the organic berries are the best in town year round.

It hasn't been remodeled yet.

There is a list of stores closing in early 2019 and it isn't on the list.

• Sad 1

Totally just musing here but do you think this is where it's headed:

Walmart, Target and other "big box" stores may be not far behind Sears and Toy R Us and eventually close down and do their business volume exclusively online and we will have even more vacant commercial real estate? Maybe fairly soon, everyone will have 2 day shipping because there will be fewer actual stores?

I have noticed that more and more stores seem to not be fully stocked, or they run out of basic things like onions.   I think the grocery/basic needs model is changing.  If a store is not super busy (running out of items), it is not busy enough.  It seems to me that the new model is to have fewer stores, but to have these stores be super busy.  I don't think that those in charge are willing to put stores in markets where the stores are not going to be packed.  I hate shopping now.  The stores are always so busy and hectic. I was at "my" Aldi recently, and it was so busy, and it always is.  Yet, the company is not putting any other stores in our area.  Makes me wonder why.  The population in my area  is growing rapidly, yet we have lost grocery stores, and the ones we have are crazy busy.  There are plenty of people who want to buy, but I think they (like me) get fed up with the rat race and then order online.  It seems to be a self-fulfilling prophecy -- groceries complain about people ordering online, yet they are doing everything possible to make the grocery shopping experience miserable.

• Like 1

There have definitely been supply issues at our local shop. It's random stuff, like they only have lavender scented Toms deodorant in stock but no unscented--and it's been that way for months. These things can't wait, people! 

Ours has undergone a semi remodel; it isn't as bad as other stores but I still don't like the disorganization and clutter. There's definitely been some off mark decision making lately, in my opinion. 

• Like 2

I totally expect all stores to be low on inventory in January. I plan for it, and have done so for all my adult life.

I don't know if it's still true or not, but that's when most stores used to inventory their stock (for tax reporting? IDK) and they intentionally let things run low for that. I make a habit of trying not to have to buy anything out of the norm--not much of anything other than groceries--during January. By February stores are usually getting back to normal. I suspect the "just in time" delivery/inventory system (or whatever it's called) that most retailers use now doesn't help any with the normal January inventory depletion.

Walmart is a different story. I think many of them are simply badly managed.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, MercyA said:

I don't know about Target, but many of Walmart's shelves have been empty for months.

I think this is because of the pick-up service. If I go shopping in the early morning, the aisles are filled with employees doing shopping for others. This time used to be (at least here) when they were busy restocking shelves. As a result - many empty shelves. I tried moving my shopping to later in the day, and the shelves are still empty. I go to Kroger now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Bambam said:

I think this is because of the pick-up service. If I go shopping in the early morning, the aisles are filled with employees doing shopping for others. This time used to be (at least here) when they were busy restocking shelves. As a result - many empty shelves. I tried moving my shopping to later in the day, and the shelves are still empty. I go to Kroger now. 

I've noticed that, too. Their shopping service must be hugely popular.

1 hour ago, Pawz4me said:

I've noticed that, too. Their shopping service must be hugely popular.

I love the Walmart shopping service, free with a $30 order.  I no longer walk well, and I love that I don't have to run all over a large store finding items.  Plus I love their substitutions. This week they ran out of the salmon we wanted, a 2lb bag of frozen wild caught for $7.99, and substituted with a $14+ package of fresh salmon.  One can always decline the substitutions, but mostly they have worked out in our favor. I wonder how long they will keep it free, though.

• Like 1

Yes, I have noticed this, too. Ours has been fully remodeled. I first noticed inventory issues when they were in the remodeling process & thought that it was happening to keep them from having to move so much stock around during the remodel. However, the remodel was completed in November and they are still low on stock, IMO. For example, I can find infant socks for girls, but not boys. They are also carrying fewer options on some items, like deodorant, first aid items and laundry detergent and the laundry detergent is always low on stock, just by way of example. Yesterday they didnt have the blister band aids I needed. I do not like the new layout and overall I get very frustrated shopping there now. 

18 hours ago, Liz CA said:

Totally just musing here but do you think this is where it's headed:

Walmart, Target and other "big box" stores may be not far behind Sears and Toy R Us and eventually close down and do their business volume exclusively online and we will have even more vacant commercial real estate? Maybe fairly soon, everyone will have 2 day shipping because there will be fewer actual stores?

I think some Target and Walmart stores are acting more like cheap warehouses due to cheaper rental, and those locations are competing with Amazon by having high volume of store pickup orders. I have so many Target stores nearby and when I do a check store inventory, the same few stores would have the bulk of the stock. For example, Target Daly City (Serramonte Center) is rather well stocked but the south bay Target stores tend to be smaller or have more empty shelves. Target Westgate Mall San Jose tends to be reasonable well stocked but Target Westfield Oakridge San Jose is a hit or miss even for toilet paper. SuperWalmart Fremont and Walmart Milpitas are rather well stocked.

With the storm last week and this week, maybe people rather take advantage of Walmart and Target free shipping then braving the rain to go to the stores. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Plum Crazy said:

The brand new smaller Walmart down the street has plenty of inventory because everything is locked up. I avoid all the locked up stuff, which is like half the store. I'm not going to wait around for someone to come open a case and then have them follow me around so I can get my health and beauty products. Even some of the better shampoos are locked up. It's weird because there's a Super Walmart a little further down the street that's not all locked up. And it's not like we're in a bad neighborhood. So I don't get it. It can't be good for business.

Wow.  I would not want to shop where everything is locked up.

17 hours ago, Plum Crazy said:

I worked at Target for a number of years. Plastic bins and bulk cleaning supplies typically take up a lot of shelf space in January. If someone bought up a bunch of the plastic bins, that would make it look more sparse. 

But yes, the remodels have made the stores less cramped. 

The brand new smaller Walmart down the street has plenty of inventory because everything is locked up. I avoid all the locked up stuff, which is like half the store. I'm not going to wait around for someone to come open a case and then have them follow me around so I can get my health and beauty products. Even some of the better shampoos are locked up. It's weird because there's a Super Walmart a little further down the street that's not all locked up. And it's not like we're in a bad neighborhood. So I don't get it. It can't be good for business.

My local Walmart is like that too. Eeeeverything is locked up. Pens and pencils, arts and crafts supplies, baby formula, tools, etc etc etc.  And cosmetics and electronics have to be bought in their respective departments.  It’s so obnoxious.   

3 hours ago, Forget-Me-Not said:

My local Walmart is like that too. Eeeeverything is locked up. Pens and pencils, arts and crafts supplies, baby formula, tools, etc etc etc.  And cosmetics and electronics have to be bought in their respective departments.  It’s so obnoxious.   

Baby formula is locked up at most stores because apparently it is one of the most frequently stolen items. https://nypost.com/2016/01/07/theres-a-thriving-black-market-for-baby-formula I guess some parents are so desperate for cheaper formula that they are willing to purchase it off Craig's List, etc. even if it probably was stolen.