Menu

Pregnancy and cramping

DesertBlossom

I am 21 weeks pregnant and ever since about 10 weeks I started experiencing occasional cramping. Usually after doing something slightly strenuous, like putting sheets on the bed or sitting up to fast. It doesn't feel like Braxton Hicks contractions. They last 15 to 30 minutes and feel more like a charley horse than a contraction. I have never experienced this in my previous 6 pregnancies.

I asked my midwife about it and she interpreted them to be Braxton Hicks and said it was normal. But since then I have had periods of Braxton Hicks and these cramps are definitely not the same thing. They hurt bad enough that I usually go lay down until it goes away. Today after doing some light yardwork it took 30 to 45 minutes to go away. 

I suppose if it was a major problem I'd already know by now. But it is somewhat concerning to me. Has this happened to anyone else? Am I just weird?

1 hour ago, Arctic Mama said:

Is it al over uterus?  Low in cervix?  Non-specific pain? One side?

I would have said it was all over uterus when I wasn't as far along. But now that I'm 21 weeks, it has remained lower than the size my uterus should be now.

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

How many pregnancies have had? I had various cramps and pains with my 3rd and 4th pregnancies that I never had with the first couple. It was weird and a little worrisome, but the babies came out just fine. 

This is my 7th pregnancy. 

18 minutes ago, MrsRobinson said:

Round ligament pain? I had that with pregnancy number 3 and I could see it being described as a charley horse. 

So I spent a few minutes googling, and this does sound a lot like what I'm experiencing. Google says it can happen when moving suddenly, coughing, laughing, etc. I coughed earlier and just about died. The only thing that doesn't sound right is that it (usually, not always) lasts a lot longer than Google says it should. Sometimes I'm cramped up for 30 minutes. I could keep walking and moving through it, but I usually opt to lay down till it goes away if I can.  I'm thinking this is what it could be. I've never (that I can recall) experienced this before.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Arctic Mama said:

If it is low and on one side and you haven’t had any uterine surgeries then round ligament pain would be my guess as well.  It’s achy and sharp and can be persistent like a stitch on your side, but very low in the pelvis.

I think it's usually both sides, but maybe sometimes just one. And no, no surgeries. 

I feel much better about this now. I was trying not to worry about it too much, but still worrying about it. You'd think by now I would have experienced all these weird pregnancies issues at least once before! :P

• Like 1

Round ligament pain is what it sounds like to me too. I'm about 27 weeks right now and I have a bad cold/cough and sometimes when I cough it feels like I'm seriously POPPING OPEN something in there it hurts so bad. Mine doesn't last that long though. Hope you feel better and not so anxious about it!

1 hour ago, gardenmom5 said:

I would push it with the midwife.   she's taken the easy way out by blaming B.H. (ime: many providers will do that when it's not obvious)  but you said they are distinctly something else.

This isn't helpful to the OP, but I find this ironic. I started having loads of B.H. early in my pregnancy, which continued throughout the duration, and informed my NP as a heads up. She basically insisted, at more than one appointment, that it was round ligament pain. It was kind of bizarre. I was definitely experiencing a tightening of the uterus and no pain, so I don't know what she was thinking. I liked her otherwise.

7 minutes ago, avbprincess said:

This isn't helpful to the OP, but I find this ironic. I started having loads of B.H. early in my pregnancy, which continued throughout the duration, and informed my NP as a heads up. She basically insisted, at more than one appointment, that it was round ligament pain. It was kind of bizarre. I was definitely experiencing a tightening of the uterus and no pain, so I don't know what she was thinking. I liked her otherwise.

she feels it isn't BH.  she should get it checked out.

I had lots of noticeable BH with 2dd starting midterm . . . . . apparently, my uterus knew what to do, once I was in active labor - it was my easiest labor.  two weeks late.

No disrespect intended toward your midwife, but I would recommend going in to see your OBGYN. It’s probably nothing serious, but why take any chances on your health or your baby’s health? 

We can make all kinds of assumptions and give you lots of ideas and encouragement, but ultimately, a doctor is the only one who can (hopefully,) give you a definitive answer and ease your mind.

Edited by Catwoman
Typo!
  • Like 1