Menu

Carry-on question...

I've only ever had them want me to open my carry-on (or even checked) if they see something on the scanner that raises a flag.  they don't have time to open everyone's suitcase.  just make sure it fits in the overhead bin, or under the seat in front of you.

• Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, Thatboyofmine said:

Do they pull everything out of your carry-on or just run it through the scanner?  It’s been so long since I’ve flown, I can’t remember.   Also, any tips for the carry-on?  Thank you!  

Last time I flew, they made passengers with wheeled carry-ons gate check them. I have 30 and 38 liter backpack carry-ons that I've never been asked to check. I really like using backpacks as it forces me to pack less and it's much easier to maneuver through airports. 

The other thing is make sure you are allowed a carry-on and a personal item. Some airlines also only allow one carry-on bag with certain ticket prices. The airlines seem to be cracking down on the size of the personal item as well. 

12 minutes ago, Um_2_4 said:

The only things i had to pull out were my ziploc of liquids and any electronics : tablet, laptop.

Be sure to double check the size allowed, it seems to be shrinking.

This has been my experience as well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Once I had a TSA agent take EVERYTHING out of my bag. I was so glad I had packing cubes because he didn’t open those, but I really didn’t want my undies tossed around. He finally found the suspicious item- a mini M and M container w quarters and pennies it it- I was on my way to meet the grands at Disney World and that was for pressed pennies. 

‘So yeah- rarely does an agent take things out, but sometimes the do. Last weekend they rooted through dh’s bag because his stainless steel cup and stainless straw looked ‘odd’. 

Hope your flight goes smoothly and there is no manhandlng undies by TSA agents. 

• Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, Thatboyofmine said:

Thank you!  I thought about taking an extra pair of undies just in case of bad winter weather or something crazy with the shutdown happens and we’re stuck for a while.  I really don’t want my undies touched and put on the belt, ykwim?  

A water bottle is ok, isn’t it? 

Yes, but make sure it's *empty* before you get in the security line; there's generally nowhere to dump it out once you get to the screening machines.

Expect to remove laptops/ iPads etc, to pull out your ziplock or clear plastic case with any small-size toiletries and medications, and sometimes I've had to remove phones and cameras as well. I've definitely never had to pull out underwear!  Enjoy your trip.

• Thanks 1

Our family flew last week.  We were surprised by a new rule of  removing all food/snacks from our bags and have them inspected separately.  
(Apparently food looks like explosives on the scanner).  I forgot about the M&Ms, so my bag was searched until they found the offending treats. .  

In our departing airport we were allowed to wear our coats through the metal detector.  But on the way home we had to take off our coats and sweatshirts and have them go through the scanner.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They might take your stuff out, but usually they don't.

If you don't want your spare undies touched, pack them in a transparent plastic bag.  I really don't think the TSA folks want to touch them either.  🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
1 hour ago, Annie G said:

Once I had a TSA agent take EVERYTHING out of my bag. I was so glad I had packing cubes because he didn’t open those, but I really didn’t want my undies tossed around. He finally found the suspicious item- a mini M and M container w quarters and pennies it it- I was on my way to meet the grands at Disney World and that was for pressed pennies. 

‘So yeah- rarely does an agent take things out, but sometimes the do. Last weekend they rooted through dh’s bag because his stainless steel cup and stainless straw looked ‘odd’. 

they've pointed out the "suspicious item" on the x-ray, and had me take it out.

I've only had the gate-check when it's a full flight and they need the space in the bins.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

they've pointed out the "suspicious item" on the x-ray, and had me take it out.

I've only had the gate-check when it's a full flight and they need the space in the bins.

Yeah I was pretty irritated. I asked what they saw so I could guide them but they were snotty about it. It was a tiny regional airport flight going to Orlando. No way was I the first person to take a tube of quarters through that line.  Usually I fly out of O’Hare or ATL and they have never rooted through my stuff. They see something odd and they ask me about it, It’s faster than rummaging through bags. 

‘I felt SO bad for a lady on my Orlando flight. She was traveling w a teen with special needs and they dumped all his stuff out- diapers, medical equipment, medications, etc. and she had some kind of form that allowed her to take stuff and she had it all in one bag for easy inspection. They took everything out and just tossed it in bins and told her to repack it. And then got mad when it took her ten minutes to do it. I think it was just a bad day - I’ve never seen that kind of treatment from TSA. 

• Sad 3
1 hour ago, Pam in CT said:

Yes, but make sure it's *empty* before you get in the security line; there's generally nowhere to dump it out once you get to the screening machines.

Huh. Last couple of times I flew, there were giant bins at the beginning of the line, especially reinforced for liquids. I dumped my water bottle in there.

• Like 2

Last time we flew I had the carry on with the liquid bags and the electronics for our family so I unloaded into bins as planned for the entire family.  We always pack one bag to be emptied, always.  They split us between lines even though we said we would prefer to be together then cleared the other three family members quickly while I was still unloading.  I had four bags of liquids in my carry on, which I put in a bin like always but my problems  with security personnel started because everyone else had cleared.  One person cannot have 4 bags of liquids which I know,  our family has four people (all over 18 btw) all with their own bag of liquids which we pack together in one carry on.  It was a mess but I did get to keep our liquids because they had to admit they made us separate.  It was absolutely dreadful and no way to start a trip.  

We have never had to remove food items....I guess another bag will need to be emptied next trip.

• Like 1

I always get special screening 🙄.  Last time it was because I was trying to take 10 small zip lock bags in of powdered laundry soap to my friend at a hospital out of state.  Small baggies of white powder are suspicious....and I knew that so was prepared.

• Like 4

Here they have big plastic bins and men put everything in their pockets into the bin, your phone, your laptop if you have one with you. I need to take off my belt.  

Women put their Purses,  phones, etc. into the big plastic bin.

Carry-ons go into a plastic bin. 

My wife forgot on our last trip and she didn't have shoes on that were easily removable and she had to remove her shoes.

NOTE: Women have Purses. ALWAYS put any medicines and your eyeglasses into your Purse!  If they make  you "gate check" your carry-on and you have those items in the carry-on and it is lost, you are Toast.

The airlines have different regulations about Carry-On and this has truly become a PITA. On our last trip (Domestic in Colombia) we went on Avianca which would have permitted each of us 2 checked bags. But, we came back on LAN Colombia (LATAM) and that Fare Basis was extremely strict about Carry-On. One bag, under the seat in front of you. We didn't take a Laptop. I had everything in my Laptop Bag, because I couldn't find my regular carry-on bag, which was "hiding" in plain site after we got back. In retrospect, I wish we had come back on Avianca...

Read the Fine Print, about what is permitted, in the Fare Basis you are going on, before you click to buy!

Edited by Lanny
add stuff near the top
  • Thanks 1
16 hours ago, Hilda said:

Our family flew last week.  We were surprised by a new rule of  removing all food/snacks from our bags and have them inspected separately.  
(Apparently food looks like explosives on the scanner).  I forgot about the M&Ms, so my bag was searched until they found the offending treats. .  

In our departing airport we were allowed to wear our coats through the metal detector.  But on the way home we had to take off our coats and sweatshirts and have them go through the scanner.  

The last time I flew it was in November and they made me remove food items too. I had two largish size food items (think individual size potato chips size but mine was trail mix) that they had me remove flying away but on my way back I had smaller food stuff and they said not to worry about those, so who knows....

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Annie G said:

The only time I've had a carry-on thoroughly searched as for 2 rolls of quarters.  I was visiting home while in college, and early in the trip, my grandma had very considerately given me two rolls of quarters, knowing I had to use a laundry machine that took quarters.  I slipped them in my bag and promptly forgot all about them.  The TSA guys were describing metal cylinders in my bag and asking what it might be as they rummaged around, and I had NO IDEA what it could be.  They did eventually find the quarters. 🙂  

As others have said, don't fill your water bottle until after security.

Expect electronics to need to be taken out and put in their own bin.  Make sure batteries are charged enough that they can be turned on if asked.

Easy on, easy off shoes.  About 50% of the time, we need to remove our shoes in security.  

Hand lotion, eye drops, other liquids, etc, in one quart size plastic bag for easy removal

Medication in a ziploc bag as well... it's rare that they ask us for meds

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In addition to fitting all "liquids" into one quart-sized baggie, each individual container must be 3.4 ounces or less. IME they don't usually check the exact # of ounces, but sometimes they do (they once made me throw out a deodorant that was 3.5 ounces). They also count gels and pastes as "liquids" — including toothpaste, hair gel, body butters, and even foods like peanut butter, yogurt, applesauce, etc.

IMHO, Precheck is well worth $17/yr — the lines are usually much shorter, you can leave your coat and shoes on, leave your toiletries and electronics in your bags, and in most of the airports I've flown through in the last few years, people in the Precheck line go through regular metal detectors not body scanners.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You need to check every airlines carry-on rules for size restriction and fees.For example,   SWA is very liberal. You could probably put your purse in your backpack and wearit on for free,  and still taked an overhead sized roll-up for free. Spirit is very strict. One free carry-on about the size of a large textbook--roll-on of any size will be charged.  carry-on fees, if applicable, are cheaper if paid when booking, more at the terminal and outrageous at the gate.  happy travels. 

• Thanks 1
19 hours ago, Thatboyofmine said:

Thank you!  I thought about taking an extra pair of undies just in case of bad winter weather or something crazy with the shutdown happens and we’re stuck for a while.  I really don’t want my undies touched and put on the belt, ykwim?  

As long as it has no water in it. I lost my favorite water bottle coming back from Arizona a couple of years ago because I forgot to empty it before going through security.

• Thanks 1
On 1/17/2019 at 9:54 PM, Annie G said:

Yeah I was pretty irritated. I asked what they saw so I could guide them but they were snotty about it. It was a tiny regional airport flight going to Orlando. No way was I the first person to take a tube of quarters through that line.  Usually I fly out of O’Hare or ATL and they have never rooted through my stuff. They see something odd and they ask me about it, It’s faster than rummaging through bags. 

‘I felt SO bad for a lady on my Orlando flight. She was traveling w a teen with special needs and they dumped all his stuff out- diapers, medical equipment, medications, etc. and she had some kind of form that allowed her to take stuff and she had it all in one bag for easy inspection. They took everything out and just tossed it in bins and told her to repack it. And then got mad when it took her ten minutes to do it. I think it was just a bad day - I’ve never seen that kind of treatment from TSA. 

My one kid thought I was kidding that they often treat special needs people worse.  I have had that happen 2x last year travelling.

• Sad 1
On 1/17/2019 at 7:54 PM, Thatboyofmine said:

The water bottle needs to be empty.  You'll have to fill it later.

• Thanks 1
On 1/17/2019 at 8:54 PM, Thatboyofmine said:

Water bottle needs to be empty.

Just have to say they've always been very respectful and careful with my disabled dd who travels with meds, diapers, wheelchair, etc. Love our home airport PDX in Portland. Always have a great experience there. It takes us a long time to get the whole family through security (wheelchair kid gets hand-checked), but we know to allow for that.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

Just have to say they've always been very respectful and careful with my disabled dd who travels with meds, diapers, wheelchair, etc. Love our home airport PDX in Portland. Always have a great experience there. It takes us a long time to get the whole family through security (wheelchair kid gets hand-checked), but we know to allow for that.

I think the lady I mentioned might have triggered it w her attitude. It’s a tiny airport and we were all lined up waiting to go through security- and she came barging in saying her son has special needs and she needs to be at the front of the line. So she barged through about 100 people, repeating that in a very loud, entitled way. So when they initially pulled her for special screening we kind of all looked at each other with that ‘karma smile’. But then it got embarrassing and I ended up feeling bad for her. 

Usually TSA agents are so nice! 

• Like 1

One thing I did when I travelled this weekend was to put everything that was going to have to come out into one "pocket" of my carry-on.  It was new to me the last couple of flights that now a Kindle has to be taken out like a laptop (I don't think I used to have to do this).  So my Kindle, my ziplock of personal care tubes and bottles were in that same pocket.  It made it really easy to pull them out and put them back quickly.  While I was waiting for the plane, I shoved everything I could into my wheelie and gate-checked it (they needed the room in the overhead bins).  You can't always gate-check, but if I can, I do.  Then I just had my backpack (I shoved my purse into that) and it was light and easy to manage.

Also, before I go through the line, I put all my jewelry into a zipped pocket of my zipped-up purse.  No problems going through that way.  The last time my dh wore his cross, they practically strip-searched him for the metal (and he had done the thing of putting it on his back...and and and) and we missed our flight by 30 seconds.  Grrr.  When we caught our flight the next day, he put his cross with mine in my purse, and it was no problem.  

• Like 1