Menu

Yet another decluttering issue

MEmama

I'm not on the MK bandwagon, but it is January and for me that means it's time to purge! Yay! 

I have a couple of those big IKEA cube type bookcases in the living and dining rooms, and for years I've wanted to clear out unwanted stuff from them. I have shelves of cookbooks I don't use, homeschool material I'll never need again, and old magazines I'll never read again housed in file boxes. I've been holding onto all of it because I literally have nothing to replace it with, and I don't want a bunch of empty shelves to dust (or look at).

In the main bath, I had to buy baskets just to fill up some glass shelving I have no use for (the baskets are empty). Am I doomed to purchasing more empty vessels just to take up space if I get rid of unwanted junk? 

I have NO problem recycling/donating any of this stuff. I'm just at a loss what to do with the shelves (no, I have nothing to display there). 

5 minutes ago, regentrude said:

Get rid of the shelves then, too. Why have storage furniture if you don't need to store stuff?

We want to keep the furniture because otherwise we would have very empty rooms.

The bookcase in the dining room acts as a buffet, as well as storage. It fits well and saves a purpose. And the living room would pretty much only house the couch and ottoman if not for the bookcase (and built ins, which house most of the books). Both rooms would feel odd and cold if not for another large piece. And both are used enough--for scrapbooks, for baskets of linens, etc. Otherwise yes, I'd be all for getting rid of unnecessary pieces. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

Yes, if you don't need the shelves, then get rid of them.  No reason to keep things you aren't using.

Having said that, think about the things you are keeping and can the shelves be re purposed.  If you have plants, maybe they could go there.  In the dining room, could the shelves be used to hold/display dishes, pretty pots, etc?  Free up space in the kitchen for some other things?  

I have an overabundance of storage furniture at the moment.  I use the bottom of a china hutch to put bottled water. It is nice to have it out of sight and accessible.  

Edited to add I realize you said these are open shelves, but I was just commenting on re-purposing things.

Edited by Scarlett
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

Yes, if you don't need the shelves, then get rid of them.  No reason to keep things you aren't using.

Having said that, think about the things you are keeping and can the shelves be re purposed.  If you have plants, maybe they could go there.  In the dining room, could the shelves be used to hold/display dishes, pretty pots, etc?  Free up space in the kitchen for some other things?  

Honestly, I have nothing to display. I mean, I COULD, but to me that would just be even worse visual clutter. I prefer to keep serving dishes, etc. in cabinets (which I have plenty of). 

It's the threat of visual clutter that's holding me back. Books and filing boxes at least look  *clean*. They take up the allotted space, KWIM? Which is why baskets were needed on the shelving in the bath, to use up the space I can't change. Even though it irks me that they are empty, visually the lines are clean and I like that more. 

Are they the kind that you can use either upright or lying on their sides?

Could you put one on its side behind your couch?  I *love* having a behind the couch table instead of a coffee table.  You could put a reading lamp on one end, and scatter coasters around.  Being a homeschooler you probably have art books, which you could stack artfully here and there on it.  And the (hidden) storage would be great for extra stuff from Costco like lightbulbs or TP, or for seasonal decorations like Christmas ornaments.

Also, if this is the category of ‘I might need this someday so I want to keep it’, I would buy opaque baskets to fill either all or half of the cubbies.  If I filled half with those I would either put them in the bottom spaces or checkerboard them.  IKEA has those, I think, and not expensively either.  Then I would try to remember to use them for ‘stuff’ that is sometimes out.  Maybe I’d make one into a bill paying station—bills go in, it has stamps and envelopes and extra checkbooks, for instance.  Then for the one that are open I’d probably put a globe in one, and a variety of single vases in the rest, maybe display my soup tureen in one.  Or cake molds.  Stuff that is normally stashed but looks good in a quirky way but doesn’t get used much.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

Are they the kind that you can use either upright or lying on their sides?

Could you put one on its side behind your couch?  I *love* having a behind the couch table instead of a coffee table.  You could put a reading lamp on one end, and scatter coasters around.  Being a homeschooler you probably have art books, which you could stack artfully here and there on it.  And the (hidden) storage would be great for extra stuff from Costco like lightbulbs or TP, or for seasonal decorations like Christmas ornaments.

Also, if this is the category of ‘I might need this someday so I want to keep it’, I would buy opaque baskets to fill either all or half of the cubbies.  If I filled half with those I would either put them in the bottom spaces or checkerboard them.  IKEA has those, I think, and not expensively either.  Then I would try to remember to use them for ‘stuff’ that is sometimes out.  Maybe I’d make one into a bill paying station—bills go in, it has stamps and envelopes and extra checkbooks, for instance.  Then for the one that are open I’d probably put a globe in one, and a variety of single vases in the rest, maybe display my soup tureen in one.  Or cake molds.  Stuff that is normally stashed but looks good in a quirky way but doesn’t get used much.

One is lower (on its side), like a buffet in the dining room. The top dresses up nicely when necessary, but usually it it is home to my current scrapbook and supplies. It is a much needed piece (other than most of the shelves, if I clear out the homeschool stuff). 

The other is a bigger piece. It is much needed visually in the living room to balance out built ins and our other furniture. It also fits well. I like the idea of using the empty shelves to hold other essentials (inside of baskets), but all those things already have homes. 

I think I just don't have much stuff, and also that my house has quite a bit of built in storage. It's not that there's never clutter, but it's the junk mail kind, not so much the where-do-I-display-this kind.

One of my bin holders has bins that are wicker baskets that (a) don't look like crap and (b) don't show whether or not they have anything in them.

I use these bins for my kids' hats/gloves, my small pets' food/supplies, and a couple small junk collectors where my kids can temporarily dump stuff that eventually needs to move upstairs to their rooms.

You could also use them for small puzzles, puzzle books, family games, seasonal decorations during the off-season, stocked-up nonperishable supplies, printer paper, unmatched socks and gloves, the next size up of your kids' shoes, library books, donations waiting to be dropped off, and on and on.

Or you could leave some of the shelves open and put one pretty vase or small artwork on each one.  Or the book(s) you are currently reading.  Or a current science or art project your kids are working on.

But my preference would be to put the shelves in some closets or an upstairs hallway or just donate them.  You could hang a wall hanging or put a plant there if the concern is that it would leave your house looking too empty.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MEmama said:

One is lower (on its side), like a buffet in the dining room. The top dresses up nicely when necessary, but usually it it is home to my current scrapbook and supplies. It is a much needed piece (other than most of the shelves, if I clear out the homeschool stuff). 

The other is a bigger piece. It is much needed visually in the living room to balance out built ins and our other furniture. It also fits well. I like the idea of using the empty shelves to hold other essentials (inside of baskets), but all those things already have homes. 

I think I just don't have much stuff, and also that my house has quite a bit of built in storage. It's not that there's never clutter, but it's the junk mail kind, not so much the where-do-I-display-this kind.

Then I’d just buy the wicker cubes, leave them empty for now, and call it good.  Since you really want to keep the piece, that would make it look nice, and you’d have those baskets to use if you ever need them.  

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I don't think that you should get things for the sake of getting them, but you don't do any current reading?  Library books? 

Yes, but I have spaces for library books. And really, it's just one or two books at a time nowadays. Not the stacks and stacks like it used to be. That would have been a good use! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MEmama said:

We want to keep the furniture because otherwise we would have very empty rooms.

The bookcase in the dining room acts as a buffet, as well as storage. It fits well and saves a purpose. And the living room would pretty much only house the couch and ottoman if not for the bookcase (and built ins, which house most of the books). Both rooms would feel odd and cold if not for another large piece. And both are used enough--for scrapbooks, for baskets of linens, etc. Otherwise yes, I'd be all for getting rid of unnecessary pieces. 

On one extreme, I’d wonder if I was paying for way more house than I needed and could that money better serve me elsewhere in life. On the other end, I’d just find a visually pleasing pattern for leaving some of the shelves open. If every other shelf is open, it can look intentional and pleasing. 

I have trouble decorating with “stuff.” I like useful things like books or mirrors and have trouble choosing tchotchkes or art prints. I’ve fairly recently placed plants in the “useful” category. They’re decorative, clean the air, and make a room look finished but not cluttered. Accent lighting can also be decorative-but-useful if you want to put one in a cube. 

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

Then I’d just buy the wicker cubes, leave them empty for now, and call it good.  Since you really want to keep the piece, that would make it look nice, and you’d have those baskets to use if you ever need them.  

Yeah, I guess so. It seems so silly and wasteful to me, but it's not like it's for all the cubes. The bookcases are plenty functional, just a bit TOO functional for my needs. Lol

Of course the other option is just to keep all the unnecessary and unwanted books, magazines, etc. Bah. 

1 minute ago, KungFuPanda said:

On one extreme, I’d wonder if I was paying for way more house than I needed and could that money better serve me elsewhere in life. On the other end, I’d just find a visually pleasing pattern for leaving some of the shelves open. If every other shelf is open, it can look intentional and pleasing. 

I have trouble decorating with “stuff.” I like useful things like books or mirrors and have trouble choosing tchotchkes or art prints. I’ve fairly recently placed plants in the “useful” category. They’re decorative, clean the air, and make a room look finished but not cluttered. Accent lighting can also be decorative-but-useful if you want to put one in a cube. 

It's not a big house nor big rooms, but there are only three of us and we are all minimalists. :) I could be happy in much less, but it's good for now (and we aren't going anywhere anyway). 

I have trouble with "stuff", too, hence the dilemma. I prefer visually clean and functional.

I would get rid of things, and then spend a little time with things bare.  Move things around a little.  See if you want to display anything you already have that is currently in your built-in storage.  

Then with what is still extra space, if it doesn’t look good, you can look for something to do.  

I think the wicker baskets are a good idea, but you might just put them along the top or bottom, or something. 

My mom always gives me advice to let things be undone and “live with it” for a little while, instead of being in a rush.  

You could also consider changing your shelves in some way, to a little table or something, that would take up space in the room but not have empty space.  

You also might not want to get ready of every single thing, when you go through it.  Maybe you can decide to put a few things back to keep it from looking empty, but still have a lot taken out.  

• Like 2

If you want to keep the furniture I think it's perfectly fine to have empty bins on them.  Maybe the furniture isn't serving a storage purpose but it is contributing aesthetically, which you seem to want.  While I am purging this month I am embracing the idea of empty cupboards and closets and cabinets.  Just because I have space doesn't mean I have to fill it up.  The closet in DD's room is 12 feet long.  She's using about 3 feet of it and that's ok 😃  

If you don't want to spend a lot on baskets and cubes, then simple cardboard magazine holders may fill in nicely.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50022354/?query=FLYT&icid=iba|us|unbxdsuggestion|201811132211556208_1

• Like 1

I can't imagine being in this position.  The idea of having empty shelves that I can't fill is inconceivable to me.

However, if I did, and if I could afford a decor change, I can imagine getting rid of the IKEA stuff in favor of a 'statement piece' like a hunters' chest that would be more decorative than functional, just because I love those.  Or possibly I'd get an antique armoire, not a super fancy one but a nice one, and hang out of season coats and some tablecloths in it.  I have always wanted to have a place to hang my tablecloths rather than stacking them in the linen closet to get all wrinkled.  If I went that way, one of the odd things I would put in it is my barbells.  They need to be accessible but I would rather they were not visible.  

But if you want to keep the piece, opaque wicker baskets that are empty for now would be an economical way to go, maybe with houseplants in two of the cubbies assuming you get a little natural light there.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

I’d just find a visually pleasing pattern for leaving some of the shelves open. If every other shelf is open, it can look intentional and pleasing.

This.

What about a few natural items? A large, interesting rock in one cubby? Some pine cones or cool branches in another? A clear glass frame with a pretty leaf displayed? I'd still leave empty cubes too. To me, those types of items provide less visual clutter (vs. a colorful, busy photo, say...), are simple/plain, & can be soothing if you like natural items.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

We have the Kallax shelving units too. Are you getting rid of ALL of the stuff or can you just stage it more sparsely? You could do two larger books lying flat in one cube, a few vertically in the next, etc.

Most of the cubes have stuff I want to keep, including some of those wicker baskets that fit.

I'll play around with rearranging. Thanks!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ksr5377 said:

If you want to keep the furniture I think it's perfectly fine to have empty bins on them.  Maybe the furniture isn't serving a storage purpose but it is contributing aesthetically, which you seem to want.  While I am purging this month I am embracing the idea of empty cupboards and closets and cabinets.  Just because I have space doesn't mean I have to fill it up.  The closet in DD's room is 12 feet long.  She's using about 3 feet of it and that's ok 😃  

If you don't want to spend a lot on baskets and cubes, then simple cardboard magazine holders may fill in nicely.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50022354/?query=FLYT&icid=iba|us|unbxdsuggestion|201811132211556208_1

You're right, the bookcases do a serve a purpose (and I love them--they definitely bring me joy lol), even if they aren't "full". I like that reframing--thank you! 

I think I have a weird guilt thing about "wasted space". Clearly I need to work on that. 

Edited by MEmama

8 hours ago, Stacia said:

This.

What about a few natural items? A large, interesting rock in one cubby? Some pine cones or cool branches in another? A clear glass frame with a pretty leaf displayed? I'd still leave empty cubes too. To me, those types of items provide less visual clutter (vs. a colorful, busy photo, say...), are simple/plain, & can be soothing if you like natural items.

I like this! :)

22 minutes ago, mom31257 said:

I had a space that needed some kind of furniture, so we put a small book case there. I filled it with pictures of family members we have lost and special things that belonged to them and some that belonged to me and my husband when we were children. 

Photos are always a good idea--I need to remember that.

I'm the resident memory keeper, but I tend to tuck photos into albums and don't think of displaying more. I think my family would like that. Thanks!

• Like 1

what is the most cluttered area of your house other than these shelves? is there anywhere in your house where you have a bunch of things stored in cardboard boxes or rubber aids etc. Ie. basement, attic, bedroom closet? If so, you could move these things to baskets on the shelves. This would be especially appropriate if they are things that you use on your main floor. Maybe some of these things could be displayed, depending on what they are, If there is not a lot, you could spread the baskets out more and add a couple of plants or family pictures, also spread out. whatever you have on the shelves, just spread it out.

• Like 1

Exactly how many empty cubbies will you have vs how many are there total?  

It sounds like you should leave them empty for a while.  I would not declutter and immediately run out and buy baskets to fill them.  You may find that you like having a few empty cubbies.  It’s not that uncommon for minimalists to have empty spots like that.  

I’m not a minimalist. I’m a middle-ist.  I don’t like a hoard of things out but I do like to have quirky or interesting pieces displayed on my furniture.  I would find one quirky thing per cubby to display.  But if I was a minimalist, I’d play with the idea of having a few empty cubbies here and there.  

I’d wait at least 2 months before deciding you want to fill them or not.  

For you, though, I think that open cubbies for a minimalist is a bad idea.  The point of cubbies is to fill them with things to display and that’s not who you are.  For you, I’d probably sell the cubbies and get a piece of furniture that’s closed in.  Maybe something short and put a large picture above it.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 1

I have often-empty and non-specified storage baskets on shelves in several parts of my home.  My friends find it amusing and perplexing.  There is one that will check my baskets every time he visits!  I am a ruthless declutterer in a 1200 sq. foot house that really only needs about 800 sq. feet.  I abhor knickknacks (although I do compromise on this with the rest of my family) but like you would have really empty rooms without the empty storage.  I see nothing wrong with it and love having the flexibility to temporarily store and/or sort items at any time with it all out of sight.  I currently have a bin with some small packages that need to go to UPS next time I am going in that direction, a bin of library books ready to return, a bin of the next history books dd will start using in two weeks when her current ones are done, and a collection of dishes that were left at a recent potluck, ready for pick up.  All out of sight.

One thing I cannot resist is books so my bookshelves are pretty full, even though we heavily utilize the library.  When I have a shelf that is sparse, I'll turn some of the books with pretty covers to be displayed outward, like photos.  Or cover up a section of less-visually-appealing paperbacks with an outward-facing book with a pretty cover.  Might that be an idea?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Teaching3bears said:

what is the most cluttered area of your house other than these shelves? is there anywhere in your house where you have a bunch of things stored in cardboard boxes or rubber aids etc. Ie. basement, attic, bedroom closet? If so, you could move these things to baskets on the shelves. This would be especially appropriate if they are things that you use on your main floor. Maybe some of these things could be displayed, depending on what they are, If there is not a lot, you could spread the baskets out more and add a couple of plants or family pictures, also spread out. whatever you have on the shelves, just spread it out.

I've been thinking about this this morning...definitely my worst clutter enemies (that I can control, ie are MY domain! Lol) are random papers and the overstuffed filing drawers in the kitchen desk. My solution--hooray--is to order some pretty, covered IKEA boxes to give old bills, medical records, etc a new home, providing me the bonus of more space in the drawers. I'm excited! No one in my living room will be any the wiser...:)

I like the idea of getting some things out of the basement, too, to make more room for DH to spread his stuff around (I mean, organize) down there. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, skimomma said:

I have often-empty and non-specified storage baskets on shelves in several parts of my home.  My friends find it amusing and perplexing.  There is one that will check my baskets every time he visits!  I am a ruthless declutterer in a 1200 sq. foot house that really only needs about 800 sq. feet.  I abhor knickknacks (although I do compromise on this with the rest of my family) but like you would have really empty rooms without the empty storage.  I see nothing wrong with it and love having the flexibility to temporarily store and/or sort items at any time with it all out of sight.  I currently have a bin with some small packages that need to go to UPS next time I am going in that direction, a bin of library books ready to return, a bin of the next history books dd will start using in two weeks when her current ones are done, and a collection of dishes that were left at a recent potluck, ready for pick up.  All out of sight.

One thing I cannot resist is books so my bookshelves are pretty full, even though we heavily utilize the library.  When I have a shelf that is sparse, I'll turn some of the books with pretty covers to be displayed outward, like photos.  Or cover up a section of less-visually-appealing paperbacks with an outward-facing book with a pretty cover.  Might that be an idea?

Empty basket collectors unite! 👊