Menu

Practical questions about cruising... I keep adding 'em, lol.

PeterPan

Sorry to flood here, but time is running out and the more I read the more confused or uncertain I get!

1. Lanyards? But if I do that, where does my phone go? Or do I not want my phone? I would mainly be using it for pictures, but also to keep track of time (I have NO internal chronometer) and using the HUB app to connect with others in the party. And the kind where you punch a hole in the ID or the kind with a slip-in pocket? 

2. What do you do with your stuff while in the pool or a hot tub?

3. How many pairs of swim trunks for ds? Should he have one pair for shore days and one pair for in the ship pools?

4. Changing kids clothes for dinner and around the ship--I've read people talking about hybrid swim trunks for boys. Should we do this or change? If he wears normal trunks, is it ok for him to swim and towel dry? Will he wear his trunks around the ship (with a rashguard obviously) or change just to swim and then change back to regular clothes?

5. Waterproof holders for ID, phone, passport, etc.--Amazon is saying to get a waterproof fanny pack that holds phone, passport, some cash, room card. Is this a good idea?

6. Purse on ship or in port--You carry one or use a fanny pack or lanyard? I'm talking daytime, not dinner. Honestly I'm not so fashionable as to carry the wristlets people are talking about for dinners. I'd lose that in a heartbeat, lol.

7. Wipes--Cruisetipstv is making it sound like she carries wipes all the time on her person. Is this necessary or a good idea? Everything I'm reading is almost none of the brands kill norovirus anyway. Any good advice?

8. Towel clips. Do I need these? I guess I'm not much of a sit in chair person, so I don't get why I need them.

9. Spa--Has anyone done this? Is it co-ed? How busy? What do people tend to wear in the steam room?

10. Exercise--Do people actually do this? Someone back channel made a comment about not getting enough movement in on sea days. Am I likely to hit the gym those days? 

11. Sunglasses--I wear progressives and don't own sunglasses. Do I want/need these? My progressives are rather new, and I don't think they're conducive to clip-ons. I'm not blind as a bat without them. This is Grand Cayman and Cozumel mostly beach, Belize and Roatan more variety (boat up a river, iguana farms, etc) 

That's a start at least. I've been going in circles researching these things. Some of them I can make a decision on, no problem, like USB port extenders. But for the lanyards vs. purse vs. whatever, that really seems more about how you roll on a ship, which I don't know not having been on one, sigh.

Additional questions!

12. Water bottles--You take a refillable, buy and have to your room, something else? I'm a heavy drinker. Of water.

13. Jackets--What will we need? I'm pretty naturally insulated (haha), but ds is so trim he gets cool easily. A hoodie for him or a more midweight nylon jacket with fleece lining? And what for me? I have a rollable down jacket I wear in the winter that would be convenient, but I wear that all the way down to 0. Can't fathom it's going to be cold enough to need it on this trip. Well I wore it in the mornings in January in FL when year when it was maybe 55 out. But anything above that and I'll be short sleeves, lol.

14. Passports--take into port or only take photocopies? And will I need documentation like that to get on/off the ship? What about ds10?

Round 3 of questions!

15. Muster--I found a video and they blare a horn and do an alerting signal. I read on the Carnival site they will do that signal and then everyone reports to muster stations printed on their room cards. We know from recent experience that my ds can become dangerously distressed with alarms like this. He actually hit the psychologist he was working with after an alarm went off, even though she had prepared him ahead of time, telling what would happen, why it would happen, etc. So I know I can get some alternatives, but I don't know what they'll be. Definitely need something, because if he's on deck and that goes off I'll have problems. I guess that's not really a question but an oh dear. But I know they have things they can do for us. I just didn't realize it would be so alerting.

Edited by PeterPan

LOL!  I saw your title and thought you meant cruising in a car. 😁  Do kids even do that anymore? 

Sorry, I don't have any answers for you, but I hope you have a great time on your cruise!  I've known a number of people who went to those places and really enjoyed the trip.

• Like 2

A couple of answers:

i used a small kids size backpack for “stuff” on the cruise. You could use a fanny pack instead.  Wallet, sunscreen, sunglasses, water bottle, whatever. My bag was nylon with ponies on it so things inside didn’t get wet (ponies are optional). 

DD17 spent all her time in the water and was good with 2 swimsuits. She does not wear sunglasses at all as she prefers to wear a hat. 

We never used towel clips but maybe it would have been handy a few times. DD17 and I used lanyards with clips  DH put his badge into his wallet and tossed the wallet into my bag.  I think the lanyards with clip were more handy.

Have fun!!!!

Edited by AK_Mom4
  • Thanks 1

Lanyards for phone - I use a thicker version of this. Bought from a sports store and I can’t remember the brand. My phones are already in Otterbox Defender and Fre Lifeproof cases but the cases don’t have a lanyard hole. I can put the room key and some dollar bills in there with my phone.

https://www.amazon.com/Witz-Waterproof-Passport-Locker-Clear/dp/B005H4SWIQ/

I might look at this one as it doesn’t require you to take your phone out to use it. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01I1430WQ

For purse, I prefer a crossbody bag over a fanny pack. I can easily put a 240ml mineral bottle in the bottle holder portion of a small crossbody bag for easy access. 

Towel clips are useful only if you are likely to spend lots of time lounging at the deck pool to keep your lounge towel nicely attached to the chair.  Else it’s just more things to carry around. It’s a personal preference.

I’ll bring two swim trunks for your son. Even three if he is not comfortable with half dry swim trunks. DS13 would change immediately to dry clothes once out of the water as he hates wet clothes. DS14 is okay with a robe for a short while. 

The cruises we went on have in room spa where the staff comes to your room. We didn’t try as none of us are into spa.

Whether you need exercise would depend on the cruise itinerary. We had one that was mainly on board the ship so we basically walk a lot inside the ship but my sedentary brother just stayed in the room most of the time. Another one had plenty of port of calls walking tours so we all walked a lot on land. 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

I have thoughts about your other things but was immediately struck by the idea that you’d need a gym. Take your sneakers, yes, but unless you are on one of those intimate small cruises, you can rack up miles walking decks and skipping the elevators. 

Hmm, that's a good point that I won't need cardio, lol. Really, I meant more to lift a little and then hit the steam room, have some time away from ds. I like him, but time away is good too. :biggrin:

34 minutes ago, AK_Mom4 said:

i used a small kids size backpack for “stuff” on the cruise. You could use a fanny pack instead.  Wallet, sunscreen, sunglasses, water bottle, whatever. My bag was nylon with ponies on it so things inside didn’t get wet (ponies are optional). 

Wow, now it makes sense why I was seeing those little backpacks in packing videos! Ok, water bottles. I was thinking I'd take my 32oz Britta refillable. Can I get good water around the ship to drink? How do you get something to drink besides booze around the ship? I keep seeing swim up bars, blue iguana bars, bars everywhere, but what if I just need a glass of water while I'm at the pool? Would I be using my Britta for that? I haven't priced out water yet. Other option was to buy bottled water and have it delivered to the room. I may have to anyway because I need several bottles a day to take my medicine, vitamins, that kind of thing. So where do you fill your water bottles if you take refillable? And how do you get water if you're just somewhere and thirsty and don't have it?

I think ds will nix the ponies and I ain't hauling his camo. I'll have to look, lol. My mother said she just put her card in her pocket, but that's not the mom solution the little backpack is the mom solution, lol. I had a magic purse for Disney, so I might as well have a magic backpack for cruising. :biggrin:  Oh, and does a hoodie or jacket scrunch up into the magic backpack? What kind of jacket do you tend to take for yourself and for kids? I'm pretty insulated (ahem), so I seem to need less. Ds on the other hand turns BLUE when it's 70 and will probably need more. My mom said the ship deck was cool to her even during the day.

38 minutes ago, AK_Mom4 said:

I think the lanyards with clip were more handy.

Ooo thank you! I liked the idea, because it's consistent across the days and not easy to lose. I thought I'd get the magnetic hooks for the wall.

39 minutes ago, AK_Mom4 said:

She does not wear sunglasses at all as she prefers to wear a hat. 

I'm such a goober! You're right, I'll be in hats and probably not need sunglasses, duh. I've been scoping out hats on amazon and need to get some ordered. I have a big head (for real), so I was surprised to find they had hats in sizes that might accommodate me. 

17 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

DS14 is okay with a robe for a short while. 

I'm reading everything else you wrote and linked, thank you! On the robe, you brought that or they provided it? You're right, if my ds gets out and it's windy he's gonna be cold and uncomfortable superfast.

17 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

For purse, I prefer a crossbody bag over a fanny pack. I can easily put a 240ml mineral bottle in the bottle holder portion of a small crossbody bag for easy access. 

You're right the fanny pack doesn't solve the water problem, and I wouldn't want to be without water. So how do you get your water on the ship? You order, have a drinking plan, find it in the ports, something else?

I don't know why I'm so worried about water. I do know though, lol. When you go to Disney, you can buy 12/24 bottles of water for $5 at the grocery (just like on the ship) or you can pay $3.50 each in the parks, lol. So a little planning really helps.

Edited by PeterPan

We brought our own robes. We swim often though at our condo pool so we already had swim/bath robes. My husband is scared of provided clothings other than hotel slippers.

For water, we brought some, bought some onboard and my parents just ask for water when  we have our meals onboard. My mother does have medication to take so she does need to have a bottle of water with her. I read some cruise ships don’t allow you to bring your own bottled water but we never had a problem with a few bottles when we have daily medication to take. 

• Like 1

I like to have a small lanyard style purse to put my room key and a phone in around the ship. Some cruise lines have the daily schedule available of on your phone.  Or, you may want to carry a print schedule.  

The cruise line will tell you what you need to take ashore.  Usually you leave your passport behind on the ship.  But, you will need the room key of each person leaving the ship to get back on the ship (this way they make sure they have each passenger returning to the ship and your passport has been verified before departure for the cruise).

Dry swim trunks and a t-shirt will be fine for boys for casual dining during the day on the ship.  Changing into dry clothing will depend on how often he is going swimming and personal preference.  

Using the gym will depend on personal preference.  Are you used to hitting the gym on a daily basis?  Most ships have a walking track so that you can enjoy the fresh air and get in a good deal of walking.

As far as the spa--that varies a good deal from ship to ship.  Some ships have a steam room  and sauna open for anyone to use; on some ships this will be coed and on other ships they will be single-sex.  Some ships (a couple of Norweigan ships) have had large spa areas with cold plunge tubs, various hot tubs, and relaxation areas which have an additional fee (either daily or for the entire cruise).  How crowded these areas are varies with the size of the ship, the itinerary of the cruise, and the demographics on the particular cruise.  

There will be a number of places on ship to get water.   Water bottles cannot be refilled at the water dispensers for health reasons. Sometimes there are restrictions of bringing water bottles back onto the ship after an excursion if there is any water in it.  

You don't need to carry much around the ship with you.  Everything is tied to your keycard; you do not need a wallet with you.  If I want to take a book and a few other items around with me, I will take a drawstring style backpack.  I simply lay those items in a chair near the pool or hot tub.  I have never taken towel clips.  The ship will have fresh towels for you to check out near the pool area and will provide towels for you to take ashore if you are going to a beach area.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PeterPan said:

Sorry to flood here, but time is running out and the more I read the more confused or uncertain I get!

1. Lanyards? But if I do that, where does my phone go? Or do I not want my phone? I would mainly be using it for pictures, but also to keep track of time (I have NO internal chronometer) and using the HUB app to connect with others in the party. And the kind where you punch a hole in the ID or the kind with a slip-in pocket? 

We just keep our cabin room keys in our wallets.  We did the lanyard thing in the past but honestly, it's just another thing to keep track of.

2. What do you do with your stuff while in the pool or a hot tub?

Leave it in the cabin to the extent possible.  Only keep stuff you don't care too much about.  They will supply towels.

3. How many pairs of swim trunks for ds? Should he have one pair for shore days and one pair for in the ship pools?

I always bring 1 swimsuit per person.

4. Changing kids clothes for dinner and around the ship--I've read people talking about hybrid swim trunks for boys. Should we do this or change? If he wears normal trunks, is it ok for him to swim and towel dry? Will he wear his trunks around the ship (with a rashguard obviously) or change just to swim and then change back to regular clothes?

If it can pass for clothes (including a shirt), fine, but if it's wet they may feel cold in the air conditioning indoors.

5. Waterproof holders for ID, phone, passport, etc.--Amazon is saying to get a waterproof fanny pack that holds phone, passport, some cash, room card. Is this a good idea?

We have never done this, but maybe it's a good idea if you need to bring something on an excursion that involves everyone getting completely wet.

6. Purse on ship or in port--You carry one or use a fanny pack or lanyard? I'm talking daytime, not dinner. Honestly I'm not so fashionable as to carry the wristlets people are talking about for dinners. I'd lose that in a heartbeat, lol.

We have one person who always carries a purse, and she holds the passports for those who don't.  You do need to have your passport when you leave the ship.  If that means fanny pack, so be it.  There are also thin belt things you can keep under your clothes.

7. Wipes--Cruisetipstv is making it sound like she carries wipes all the time on her person. Is this necessary or a good idea? Everything I'm reading is almost none of the brands kill norovirus anyway. Any good advice?

I'm not a wipes person, but I always try to carry tissue in my pockets in case there isn't toilet paper.

8. Towel clips. Do I need these? I guess I'm not much of a sit in chair person, so I don't get why I need them.

What's a towel clip?

9. Spa--Has anyone done this? Is it co-ed? How busy? What do people tend to wear in the steam room?

Yes to the spa i.e. massage etc.  It is private when it involves services that involve being unclothed (though you can also opt to wear something).  No idea about the steam room, I never used one.

10. Exercise--Do people actually do this? Someone back channel made a comment about not getting enough movement in on sea days. Am I likely to hit the gym those days? 

People do this.  My friend uses the exercise room.  Personally I have done lots of walking around on the decks while at sea.  Of course it's more fun to hike on the excursions, but that may not be enough to meet your goals.  (Though, on my last cruise I was so sick I spent it mostly in the bed.  Whatever you need to do.)

11. Sunglasses--I wear progressives and don't own sunglasses. Do I want/need these? My progressives are rather new, and I don't think they're conducive to clip-ons. I'm not blind as a bat without them. This is Grand Cayman and Cozumel mostly beach, Belize and Roatan more variety (boat up a river, iguana farms, etc) 

I don't use sunglasses, but I would say most people do.

That's a start at least. I've been going in circles researching these things. Some of them I can make a decision on, no problem, like USB port extenders. But for the lanyards vs. purse vs. whatever, that really seems more about how you roll on a ship, which I don't know not having been on one, sigh.

Additional questions!

12. Water bottles--You take a refillable, buy and have to your room, something else? I'm a heavy drinker. Of water.

They don't like you to refill water bottles on the ship.  I just buy water.  It may be most economical to buy some when you are on excursions vs. buy them on the ship.

13. Jackets--What will we need? I'm pretty naturally insulated (haha), but ds is so trim he gets cool easily. A hoodie for him or a more midweight nylon jacket with fleece lining? And what for me? I have a rollable down jacket I wear in the winter that would be convenient, but I wear that all the way down to 0. Can't fathom it's going to be cold enough to need it on this trip. Well I wore it in the mornings in January in FL when year when it was maybe 55 out. But anything above that and I'll be short sleeves, lol.

Bring 2 or 3 thin ones rather than a thick one.  Layer as necessary.  Even if you don't need it on the cruise, you may want it on the flight - it gets cold up there.

14. Passports--take into port or only take photocopies? And will I need documentation like that to get on/off the ship? What about ds10?

Take your passport and your kid's also.  You will need them in some ports.

Answers above.

• Thanks 1

Lanyards were great for my kids. They got used to carrying their stateroom keys everywhere because they needed them to check into the kids' club etc.

Bring layers. Nights may be cool on the water. Better to have an extra windproof layer that's easy to pack than not to be able to be out enjoying the view. Also bring hats that won't fly off--it can be so windy! I can't imagine being on the ship without sunglasses, personally. Sun is doubly bright reflecting off the water.

Gym can be super crowded on sea days. My ILs used it but I preferred walking on deck around the ship.

Some ports we needed to take our passports and others we didn't. 

I brought wipes and didn't use them. If there had been some kind of illness going around the ship I would've been happy to have them, though.

I brought a backpack for port days, but carried very little on board. All you need is your stateroom key and phone, which usually fit in pockets.

We brought a case of bottled spring water and a couple bottles of wine on board. Check with your cruise line to see what they allow you to bring. I thought the tap water on board was fine, but my picky kid much preferred the bottled spring water. Our wine was much nicer for the price than we could order through room service. I brought a reusable water bottle but wished I had a travel mug for coffee--I hate using styrofoam.

There was a day when we couldn't do laundry, to protect the bay. Then the following day people were waiting hours for the machines. With kids I think it's better to do a load before you absolutely need it.

Have fun!

Amy

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bolt. said:

You would just go to anywhere on-board  that serves beverages and ask for a glass of drinking water. Then pour it into your own water bottle or drink it from the glass.

I've been wondering what the on-ship water will be like. Sometimes Panera and Wendys will have nice, filtered water, but most restaurants serve city water (chloriny, yuck). 

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

We brought our own robes. We swim often though at our condo pool so we already had swim/bath robes. My husband is scared of provided clothings other than hotel slippers.

For water, we brought some, bought some onboard and my parents just ask for water when  we have our meals onboard. My mother does have medication to take so she does need to have a bottle of water with her. I read some cruise ships don’t allow you to bring your own bottled water but we never had a problem with a few bottles when we have daily medication to take. 

I'll have to ask him what he wants! I made him a super thick hooded towel he uses at the pool, but that is awfully bulky to carry on a trip. Yeah, there's no way they'd allow on the amount of water I'd bring, lol. For 7 days I'd be bringing two 24-packs, lol. Fortunately it's not too bad to buy it.

36 minutes ago, Bootsie said:

Using the gym will depend on personal preference.  Are you used to hitting the gym on a daily basis?  Most ships have a walking track so that you can enjoy the fresh air and get in a good deal of walking.

Yup, I go quite a bit. I had forgotten about the walking track!! I will definitely want my sneakers then. I have separate sneakers for working out and for town, and I don't want to take two pairs, mercy. I don't know what I'll want for footwear in the ports. Ds has Keens or something similar. I need to check the size on them, oops. He keeps growing! I was thinking I'd get myself some little reef/swim shoes I saw on amazon. I guess I could wear the same shoes to work out and do daytime. I haven't been loving my town shoes (earlier model of my workout shoes) and I hate to wear out my new workout shoes. I know, stupid problem. And I would think in ports I would want something kind of beachy or festive or I don't know, something sandaly. This is getting really stupid. I can't take flip flops (for swimming, steam room) and workout shoes and dinner shoes and port shoes and... So I should probably have port/dinner/ship sandals, flips for steaming, rock/beach shoes, sneaks (one pair).

43 minutes ago, Bootsie said:

the spa--that varies a good deal from ship to ship

Ooo, hadn't thought of that! I'll have to watch. I saw a video and this ship encourages co-ed by pricing and doesn't seem to have separate facilities. I'll survive. Maybe I'll find the best time. That and get a supportive top to go under what I wear to steam so I'm presentable. 

45 minutes ago, Bootsie said:

Water bottles cannot be refilled at the water dispensers for health reasons.

Foo! So I can go to a dispenser and drink, but I won't be able to fill a Britta easily? 

Thanks for all the tips!!

46 minutes ago, SKL said:

I'm not a wipes person, but I always try to carry tissue in my pockets in case there isn't toilet paper.

Ok, now you're killing me. No TOILET PAPER?? That happened in Russia but in the Caribbean??? Are you for real? Or you're saying on our mangrove/iguana farm excursion we might be a little au naturale? LOL 

48 minutes ago, SKL said:

They don't like you to refill water bottles on the ship. 

OK, thanks.

4 minutes ago, Acadie said:

Lanyards were great for my kids. They got used to carrying their stateroom keys everywhere because they needed them to check into the kids' club etc.

Bring layers. Nights may be cool on the water. Better to have an extra windproof layer that's easy to pack than not to be able to be out enjoying the view. Also bring hats that won't fly off--it can be so windy! I can't imagine being on the ship without sunglasses, personally. Sun is doubly bright reflecting off the water.

Gym can be super crowded on sea days. My ILs used it but I preferred walking on deck around the ship.

Some ports we needed to take our passports and others we didn't. 

I brought wipes and didn't use them. If there had been some kind of illness going around the ship I would've been happy to have them, though.

I brought a backpack for port days, but carried very little on board. All you need is your stateroom key and phone, which usually fit in pockets.

We brought a case of bottled spring water and a couple bottles of wine on board. Check with your cruise line to see what they allow you to bring. I thought the tap water on board was fine, but my picky kid much preferred the bottled spring water. Our wine was much nicer for the price than we could order through room service. I brought a reusable water bottle but wished I had a travel mug for coffee--I hate using styrofoam.

There was a day when we couldn't do laundry, to protect the bay. Then the following day people were waiting hours for the machines. With kids I think it's better to do a load before you absolutely need it.

Have fun!

Amy

Thank you, that was a lot of super helpful tips! 

On the laundry, I'm *hoping* to keep clothes to just in the sink, but I have to take ds' bed pads. I need to figure out what size the Pullman mattress is. I assume it's a narrow twin maybe? Ds will sleep on that, and I just have to wash if the bedding gets wet. Now Disney, if we had stayed in the resorts, had offered to do that laundry for us, basically freshening the bed every single day. I'll definitely have to bring a waterproof cover and bed pads. Or will they have that? If the mattress is plastic-ensconced, it won't matter. Otherwise, yeah. I usually do foil, a waterproof pad, sheets and mattress pad, another waterproof pad, and he wears night pants. So he could have a great night and everything is dry or he could be soaked. It has variables we havne't figured out (stress, etc.).

You go to the water dispenser, fill a *glass* — then pour from the glass into your own drinking bottle.

They just don’t want any contact between your previously-mouthed bottle opening and their fastidiously sterile dispenser.

Edited by bolt.
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Foo! So I can go to a dispenser and drink, but I won't be able to fill a Britta easily? 

There will be cups and water dispensers throughout the ship.  You will probably need to either pour water from those cups or use the tap in your room to fill a Britta.  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Thank you, that was a lot of super helpful tips! 

On the laundry, I'm *hoping* to keep clothes to just in the sink, but I have to take ds' bed pads. I need to figure out what size the Pullman mattress is. I assume it's a narrow twin maybe? Ds will sleep on that, and I just have to wash if the bedding gets wet. Now Disney, if we had stayed in the resorts, had offered to do that laundry for us, basically freshening the bed every single day. I'll definitely have to bring a waterproof cover and bed pads. Or will they have that? If the mattress is plastic-ensconced, it won't matter. Otherwise, yeah. I usually do foil, a waterproof pad, sheets and mattress pad, another waterproof pad, and he wears night pants. So he could have a great night and everything is dry or he could be soaked. It has variables we havne't figured out (stress, etc.).

I would check with the cruise line regarding this special consideration. They will probably be able to provide some waterproof bedding solution.  Most ships we have been on have do-it-yourself laundry, but we were on a smaller Holland America ship this past summer that did not have self-serve laundry available.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bootsie said:

we were on a smaller Holland America ship

Ooo, did you like HAL? I definitely liked them for myself, but I wasn't sure if ds would have anything to do. I was thinking if this goes well I'd try to take dh along and do something he'd like (Alaska, fjords of Norway, whatever) and HAL would be lovely for that.

7 minutes ago, Bootsie said:

There will be cups and water dispensers throughout the ship.  You will probably need to either pour water from those cups or use the tap in your room to fill a Britta.  

The tap in the room might not be drinkable.  Better check or be on the safe side with bottled water.

• Like 1

I would guess they would have a bed protector arrangement if you ask - I would definitely ask in advance. 

Agreeing with using a disposable solution rather than trying to wash bedding on the cruise.  You will not really have space for that - it will sap your enjoyment.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Ooo, did you like HAL? I definitely liked them for myself, but I wasn't sure if ds would have anything to do. I was thinking if this goes well I'd try to take dh along and do something he'd like (Alaska, fjords of Norway, whatever) and HAL would be lovely for that.

I enjoyed HAL; DD, my mother, and I went to Alaska as a graduation celebration for my DD.  There did not seem to be as many activities for young people, but I did not go looking for them and it was mid-May when most schools were still in session.  

• Like 1

My advice would be to just relax - most of what you are asking really doesn't matter or is a a question of personal taste. I do understand your feelings but really - most of it doesn't matter. Wear a lanyard or not, take as many swimming trunks as you would for any other trip etc. Really, the main selling point of a cruise is that they will do their utmost to make YOU happy. And they will also sell anything you might have forgotten / need. Just relax and have fun!

• Like 1

Ok, that was easy! I found the email and wrote the disability service at Carnival. It looks like they might have the waterproof pad, but we'll see what they reply. 

I really like the disposable pads and don't know why I didn't think of that. I can get 24 for $24, which is a total steal. That's enough for two trips and way easier than washing. 

6 minutes ago, Twolittleboys said:

My advice would be to just relax - most of what you are asking really doesn't matter or is a a question of personal taste. I do understand your feelings but really - most of it doesn't matter. Wear a lanyard or not, take as many swimming trunks as you would for any other trip etc. Really, the main selling point of a cruise is that they will do their utmost to make YOU happy. And they will also sell anything you might have forgotten / need. Just relax and have fun!

Thank you, thank you, lol. I will try! That's probably why I need a vacation, so I can get back to my calm, relaxed self, lol.

It looks like they provide extra blankets, so score on that too. Normally I've had to take all the blankets for ds too, because they get wet, sigh. So this is actually pretty slick if the poor steward is going to take care of the bed for me and all I have to do is plunk a bedpad on, haha. 

I'm going to try to hit Dollar Tree and Walmart to see if they have some of these things. Really though, I think you're right that whatever I don't get right, they'll be happy to sell us on the ship, haha. And the ped gave us the scrip for the stronger anti-histamine, so I have that if we have problems. And not having to take tons of bedding, that's HUGE. I'm usually like a sultan with this entourage of suitcases because of all his bedding, lol. What's the female of sultan, a sultana? haha.

There has only been one thing I recall not being able to buy once on a cruise that someone badly wanted.  That was swim goggles - one of my kids was most annoyed that we failed to bring those.  I was surprised the ship didn't sell any.

The other thing that can be a pain is internet.  Since I always work during my vacations, having reliable round-the-clock internet is of great value to me.  (And you won't always get a "signal" on your iphone out on the ocean.)  Know up front what your options are so you don't end up spending more than you need to.

Edited by SKL
  • Thanks 1

Ok, this is still eating at me. Ds has autism and I *have* to plan things ahead. Before I go I'll have the whole ship memorized. I scope out every menu so I know where he can eat and what alternatives are, depending on how he's rolling. I have to plan out everything ahead so my energy is focused on him and dealing with his needs in the moment. I can't be in my own learning curve problem solving AND solve his problems. And he will have problems because it's a new situation. The more cool I am, with game plans for everything, the more cool he'll be. And the more information I have, the more flexible I can be with problem solving, which sets him at ease. 

What I can't have is him freaking out because food isn't working or water isn't there or he feels lost or whatever. So yeah, I'm gonna scope out every single thing, down to the jackets and socks. I'll have enough challenge just to deal with what I CAN'T control and figure out and predict.

And btw, next thing, where are great QUIET but festive places to go for embarkation? He says he wants to stay in his room the whole trip. He'll come out, but that's just his reality that it's easier to be in the room than out among people. I saw some pictures or video of an embarkation party on the deck and I doubt we want to be there. But out, somewhere, like a side deck might be nice. Do they do streamers or is that only on tv? LOL I have no clue what happens. I know the lady put our cabin on the left side of the ship, saying we'd see things better when we pull into ports. So maybe the walking deck on the left side? I know that's not the right term, lol. Or maybe just hit the hot tubs and not worry about it? My plan once onboard was to get bbq at Guy's and do the big water slides. I think we board at 1:00 and they pull out at 3pm. That doesn't really make sense. Do they shut the slides down when the ship pulls out? Surely not? Like if we're playing and they pull out, we just keep playing? or paper streamers fly and something happens?

8 minutes ago, SKL said:

There has only been one thing I recall not being able to buy once on a cruise that someone badly wanted.  That was swim goggles - one of my kids was most annoyed that we failed to bring those.  I was surprised the ship didn't sell any.

The other thing that can be a pain is internet.  Since I always work during my vacations, having reliable round-the-clock internet is of great value to me.  (And you won't always get a "signal" on your iphone out on the ocean.)  Know up front what your options are so you don't end up spending more than you need to.

Yeah, that explains why people were saying to take back-ups, lol. And they break and get lost, so very wise! 

I thought about the internet, but I think I'm not going to. It seems like people are really dissatisfied with the speeds. I have medications now for antihistamine/anxiety to give him, got that scrip. The main bummer is needing to be able to talk to the behaviorist to problem solve. Some trips we need that and some we're fine. If I knew my phone would work in some of the ports, I probably wouldn't need more than that. I looked at some maps of coverage but I still don't get how it works, like where it will be roaming and where not and whether roaming is dreadfully expensive if it's just some texting. 

Re embarkation, we never bother with that.  We go to our rooms, settle in, and then go to the buffet for some food.  Depending on what else is happening, we might go check out the pools / water slides / exercise stuff.  Usually we don't even notice when the ship starts moving.

They will also require you and your son to participate in a safety presentation where they show you where your life boat is and how to use the life jackets etc.  Usually that is right around the time people stop boarding.  So you know, it is crowded and they will log who came and follow up if you don't show up.  (You can go later if you miss the initial one - that might actually work better for your son.)

9 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

I thought about the internet, but I think I'm not going to. It seems like people are really dissatisfied with the speeds. I have medications now for antihistamine/anxiety to give him, got that scrip. The main bummer is needing to be able to talk to the behaviorist to problem solve. Some trips we need that and some we're fine. If I knew my phone would work in some of the ports, I probably wouldn't need more than that. I looked at some maps of coverage but I still don't get how it works, like where it will be roaming and where not and whether roaming is dreadfully expensive if it's just some texting. 

Get your list of ports and call your cell phone carrier.  They can tell you what type of coverage you will have in the port.  Most everywhere in ports in the Caribbean, we had wifi access in the towns.  Shipboard internet was sketchy even when we paid for it, so I would not count on it.  We had good luck with cell coverage in port, but your carrier will be able to tell you if you will pay roaming or not.

• Thanks 1

I haven’t read all the responses, but regarding wipes, on all the cruises I’ve been on there is a worker standing in the entrance to the dining area with either sanitizer or wipes giving everyone a squirt or a wipe. That’s all well and good, but the problem comes from buffets where people are handling the serving spoons or even worse, the food. Since some people refuse the wipes/squirts, I always bring a tiny bottle of sanitizer for every meal and use it after every trip to the buffet or after handling the menu at seated dinner. I am a germ fanatic on cruises, and so far, so good. Keep hands away from faces, and use the sanitizing dispensers every time you pass them, plus wash hands often. A whole cabin getting norovirus with one tiny pot is my nightmare!

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Yeah, that explains why people were saying to take back-ups, lol. And they break and get lost, so very wise! 

Call your phone company (and also your credit card companies) and let them know your travel plans.  They will tell you if you will have service at the ports or if you need to do anything special to make it work.  Your credit card might get shut off if they don't know in advance that you are traveling.  It's kind of a red flag to have a bunch of purchases in Belize by a person who lives in mainland US.  🙂

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, SKL said:

They will also require you and your son to participate in a safety presentation where they show you where your life boat is and how to use the life jackets etc.  Usually that is right around the time people stop boarding.  So you know, it is crowded and they will log who came and follow up if you don't show up.  (You can go later if you miss the initial one - that might actually work better for your son.)

I already called and got him in the system, marked as having disabilities. I'm gonna press hard on that one because that alarm they sound, if it's like the video, is going to be very distressing. Is it quieter inside? Probably not, lol. I'll ask. That will upset him even more than the waiting. 

I should probably just give him Calm Child to get him on the ship and through the muster. If embarkation ends at 3, you're saying the muster will be shortly after that. So I can give him a dose at like 11am and he'll be more cool. 

Can you imagine if you were going down a slide when that went off? ROFL Don't know if you'd pee or scream or what. That would be CRAZY, lol. But that's the stuff I have to think through, where he'll be, how to keep it calm.

You know, I need to contact autism on the seas. I'm not doing the cruise through them but they had info. Now I have a specific question they could help with. Surely they have things they do, because freaking out over the horns/alarms will be a known gig. His psychologist knew it was going to happen. That means they'll have strategies. I'll write them. Maybe they have a FB group? I'll go see.

6 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

I already called and got him in the system, marked as having disabilities. I'm gonna press hard on that one because that alarm they sound, if it's like the video, is going to be very distressing. Is it quieter inside? Probably not, lol. I'll ask. That will upset him even more than the waiting. 

I should probably just give him Calm Child to get him on the ship and through the muster. If embarkation ends at 3, you're saying the muster will be shortly after that. So I can give him a dose at like 11am and he'll be more cool. 

Can you imagine if you were going down a slide when that went off? ROFL Don't know if you'd pee or scream or what. That would be CRAZY, lol. But that's the stuff I have to think through, where he'll be, how to keep it calm.

You know, I need to contact autism on the seas. I'm not doing the cruise through them but they had info. Now I have a specific question they could help with. Surely they have things they do, because freaking out over the horns/alarms will be a known gig. His psychologist knew it was going to happen. That means they'll have strategies. I'll write them. Maybe they have a FB group? I'll go see.

They did an alarm test on our last cruise and it was very loud and obnoxious, even though they warned us in advance.  (This was separate from the muster station safety gathering.)  Maybe you could bring some noise canceling headphones?

It should help if they would tell you exactly when they are going to do that.  I am sure you would not be the first person who needed them to do that.

Edited by SKL
  • Thanks 1

You should be able to buy clip-on sunglasses at Walmart to go over your glasses. It's what I use, and they come in various sizes. I'm not saying they are stylish, but they do the job when the sun is too bright.

I took a thick hoodie for my kids to put on after coming out of the water. They didn't wear their swimwear around the ship and only put it on when we were swimming, though others do. Have some kind of cover up for yourself if you plan to go in the water.

The muster drill may be a problem time for your son. Sorry. It's been different on each ship I've been on. For some, you get to sit in a lounge in comfort. For others, we have had to line up on the deck in rows, with everyone crowded against one another, and we had to stay that way for a long time. Definitely ask what kind of accommodations the ship can provide for your family. The horn is also very loud. If possible, find out what time they will sound it off, and be inside and perhaps have your son wear earplugs. If he will be distraught, try to be in your cabin, so that he is in a quiet, private place.

I have been cold on every cruise, so I've learned to take several sweaters for myself. Especially in the evenings in the air conditioning, but also on deck when there is a breeze. I take long-sleeve shirts or lightweight sweaters or jeans jackets for my kids to wear at night when we change for dinner.

The cabin steward will change the sheets every day if needed, and I imagine they can provide waterproof pads; they are used to having children of all ages and stages of development on board. Make sure you take pull-ups or whatever your son wears at night; when I had a nighttime wetter, there was more than one trip when I forgot to pack those.

I would take two suits for anyone planning to go into the water, so that if one suit is still wet, there is a second to put on. Unless the person doesn't mind wet swimwear.

Take a copy of your passports with you. We were told to take the actual passport off ship for adults and just the copy for the kids. Different cruiselines may vary, so be prepared for either.

I didn't let my kids keep their own room key cards, because I figured they would lose them. So I carried theirs as well as mine. Before kids, I carried a tiny tote bag around the ship with my sunscreen and book, and after kids, I carried a larger bag or purse, because I had to lug their stuff. I would also carry a bag in the evenings, so that I could have my kids' electronic devices on hand for them to use while waiting in the audience for shows to start, etc. I also wanted a bag to carry on shore with me. Usually I would try to find one bag that I could use all day and all night, so something that didn't look goofy with my nicer clothes. I would use a backpack for shore excursions but would use that as my carry-on on the plane and then repurpose it.

I think you should just spring for a water package or two, so you don't have to worry. Take your own bottle as a back up. The buffet or other food areas are generally open all day long, so you can always wander in there and get a cup of water as needed.

I don't know what to do with your stuff when you are in the pool; I don't like to swim, so I just keep everyone's things for them while they are in the water.

I think some kind of lanyard is smart, if you don't want to carry a bag and won't need to tote a book or electronics with you. I always need those things plus sunscreen so I always need a bag.

Keep your eyes on your son all the time in the pool, as there are no lifeguards.

Take a book or something to do during down times.

• Thanks 1

Wearing swim trunks with a shirt is okay when walking around the ship during the day, but I would not plan to have your son wear that all day every day. Generally, he should wear shorts or long pants unless going to the pool. Definitely no swimwear in the dining room in the evenings, and I think it's frowned upon at lunchtime. However, if you plan to eat at the buffet, which is usually near the pool, just having a cover up is okay; people come and go through the buffet while lounging around the pool, so swimwear plus a cover up is okay then.

Find out if your cruise has a formal night for dinner. If you don't want to dress up, you can go to the buffet that night. No one will care if your "dress up" outfit is a nice pair of pants and a nice shirt or sweater, but it should not be jeans and a sweatshirt that night. You will see some people really dressed up in evening wear, and others in kind of business casual wear.

If there is no formal night on your cruise, you won't see formal wear, but some people will still choose to wear nicer things for dinner. I took khakis and polos for my boys, generally.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, SKL said:

They did an alarm test on our last cruise and it was very loud and obnoxious, even though they warned us in advance.  (This was separate from the muster station safety gathering.)  Maybe you could bring some noise canceling headphones?

They rang it TWICE?? Oh dear. Well I haven't told ds yet, but I think I'm going to do some dessensitizing and training on it. I was realizing I can probably also bring in some strong sensory supports, like getting him a milkshake before the time (so he's sucking on a straw), etc. But my theory is basically to blare a recording of the alarm crazy loud every day till our trip so by the time it happens there it's just another instance, lol. We'll see if that works. And I'll give him treats so it's paired with being ok and calm. And yes, we have different kinds of headphones. We'll have to practice and make a plan. At least we know it's coming and can work on it.

1 hour ago, Storygirl said:

I took a thick hoodie for my kids to put on after coming out of the water.

Ooo, that's a good plan, because it's multi-purpose!

Have some kind of cover up for yourself if you plan to go in the water.

Oops, I'm a goofball! Hadn't even thought about myself, lol.

The muster drill may be a problem time for your son.

I didn't realize there'd be such a range. Our paperwork says who to ask when we get there.

I would also carry a bag in the evenings, so that I could have my kids' electronic devices on hand for them to use while waiting in the audience for shows to start, etc.

Oh wow, I had totally forgotten! You're right, that's why I always carry my Vera Bradley mailbag purse, because it's magical and can hold tablets, water bottles, all kinds of things, lol. Maybe I should just carry a cute new one and not even sweat it. 

Take a book or something to do during down times.

What are the down times? 

I haven't looked at the entertainment options on the ship, so I have no clue what they do. That will be my next thing to check out I guess. Then I can know if we're doing anything they do in the evening or doing our own thing. I can't fathom us doing any of their entertainment, but I could be wrong. They had some kind of Hasboro game show I thought was promising, but I usually watch youtube videos of things first to be sure. 

Well thanks for so many good tips!!! 

33 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

They rang it TWICE?? Oh dear. Well I haven't told ds yet, but I think I'm going to do some dessensitizing and training on it. I was realizing I can probably also bring in some strong sensory supports, like getting him a milkshake before the time (so he's sucking on a straw), etc. But my theory is basically to blare a recording of the alarm crazy loud every day till our trip so by the time it happens there it's just another instance, lol. We'll see if that works. And I'll give him treats so it's paired with being ok and calm. And yes, we have different kinds of headphones. We'll have to practice and make a plan. At least we know it's coming and can work on it.

To be clear, these are the 2 things I was talking about:

1) The muster station gathering - they make everyone go to the place they would go to if they needed to get on lifeboats, and give you instructions of what to do in case of emergency.  There are a lot of people crowded close together, although you may be able to attend a later "make-up" session that is less crowded.  This is not the especially noisy event.

2) On my most recent cruise, they had a really loud, long alarm drill. They did announce this a little in advance (the announcement was pretty annoying too).  You don't have to go anywhere special for this - we were in our cabin when it blew, but it was really loud even with our hands over our ears.  This did not happen on every cruise I've been on.  I just wanted to let you know it might happen, as it could be a problem if you are not prepared.  In your situation, I'd ask about it so you can decide how to prepare.

• Thanks 1

The down time on the ship is totally dependent upon you.

You should get a listing each day of the organized activities, and you can decide which of them to do and plan your day around them. Some people stay busy all day participating in trivia contests, ship tours, karaoke, wine tasting, scrapbooking, cupcake decorating, bingo, gambling at the casino, shopping in the ship stores, etc.. What is offered depends upon the ship. Some people want to be entertained all day and complain that there are not enough activities. Some people don't want to be busy and just want to nap in a lounge chair.

There should be a big show or comedian or something each night, and there are usually alternative options as well (ex: a ship version of the Newlywed Game has been offered on every cruise I've been on, I think). I enjoy going to the shows. But if you don't, there will be time in the evenings when you don't have something on your schedule.

So the down time is any other time when you aren't participating in an organized activity.

I imagine your son will need you to be his companion for most hours of the day and will keep you busy. But if he goes to the kids club, or if he hangs out with the grandparents, and you have time to yourself, that will be your down time. I like to find a lounge chair and read and look out at the water when my kids are occupied away from me, so I take books with me.

• Thanks 1

Also, related to sensory overload...

You may find you need to walk through the casino at times. This varies by ship. I've been on ships where the only path to our destination was through the casino (even with kids in tow), and on other ships, it has not been a problem.

The reason I hate the casino is the smoke (smoking was allowed there on the ships we were on) and the noise. I am sensory averse, so I hated walking through there.

Find a way to avoid it, if you can.

Also, be aware that many ships have an arcade for kids, and the games are very expensive, so it is an easy way for kids to blow through spending money. We've always just warned my kids in advance that they can look in the arcade, but we won't play any games there.

There will be things on the ship that will cost extra money. In general, you may warn your son ahead of time about what you will and will not pay for, in case he gets upset when he's not allowed to buy things he wants. You mentioned a milkshake, for example. That will be an extra charge (and it will be much higher than what you would pay for for a milkshake on land).

Some ships have a free soft serve ice cream machine somewhere.

• Thanks 1

As far as embarkation/muster drill are concerned my experience (we've mostly cruised on Royal Caribbean so it may differ) has been that embarkation usually goes very quickly/smoothly though there may be a lot of people. Often there are separate lines for people in suites/with higher loyalty levels etc. - maybe check whether there is a separate line you could use if the regular ones are long (in my experience it is a breeze though).

Most ships I have been on shut down pretty much everything prior to the muster drill (e.g. food outlets, slides etc.). Often the cabin steward also goes around 15 minutes or so before to tell people to go. For the most part, everyone is already at their assigned stations when the alarm goes off. Obviously it is fine if you do not go there that early but at least it is unlikely that you will be taken by surprise.

I missed the part about which ship/cruise line you are on but in my experience sail off usually isn't that big a deal (I think it is a little more lively in the Caribbean). There is music/dance parties etc. but they can easily be avoided and you don't miss that much in my opinion. I would either stay on your balcony (if you have one - we never do but not sure what cabin you booked), find a quieter deck, watch from a restaurant/lounge or just skip it.

We

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, PeterPan said:

If your son finds it calming to suck on a straw, I would pack some straws or maybe a cup with a lid and straw that you can pour his drinks into.  I don't remember seeing straws on previous cruises (because of environmental concerns).  

• Thanks 1

If you prefer to drink bottled water, you can preorder cases of bottled water to be waiting in your room when you board. That would probably be easier than filling your refillable bottle with a cup every time. They do have stations with water (and lemonade and coffee) set up all throughout the buffet area, so it isn't hard to get a glass of water every time you want one.

I use a lanyard to carry my Sail & Sign card, but I don't wear it around my neck - I loop it around a belt loop and stick it in my pocket. You will have a safe in your room where you can keep your wallets, passports, etc. (just remember to bring a gift card or something with a magnetic strip to use to get into it). I only carry my Sail & Sign card, camera, and the gift card for the safe around with me on the ship. I bring a crossbody purse to use at the different ports to carry money, my Sail & Sign card (that is the only thing that will get you back on the ship), my driver's license (for ID), a camera, and a photocopy of my passport.

Wal-mart sells sunglasses that go over your prescription glasses if you think clip-ons won't work with your frames. They also have a variety of clip-ons that work with different sizes of plastic frames, if that is the problem.

You definitely want to practice muster drills with your son at home, and not just to desensitize him to the sound of the alarm - you want him to understand that the sound means to head to the correct muster station. I would create a muster station on a deck or porch and practice going there (every person that is in the house) when the alarm sounds. Put up signs inside the house for different muster stations, pull up a recording of the alarm on Youtube, and practice going to the correct one (it is listed on your boarding pass, so you should have it already). You can even put a strip of tape on the deck or porch that is your muster station and practice standing on the line shoulder-to-shoulder when the alarm sounds. I would practice muster drills daily until you leave.

Just as an FYI, I am pretty sure kids are given a wristband with their muster station listed on it when they check in that has to stay on their wrist for the duration of the cruise. It is a good thing since it will help a crew member get him to the correct muster station in the case of an emergency, but it might be an annoyance on his wrist.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, SKL said:

To be clear, these are the 2 things I was talking about:

1) The muster station gathering - they make everyone go to the place they would go to if they needed to get on lifeboats, and give you instructions of what to do in case of emergency.  There are a lot of people crowded close together, although you may be able to attend a later "make-up" session that is less crowded.  This is not the especially noisy event.

2) On my most recent cruise, they had a really loud, long alarm drill. They did announce this a little in advance (the announcement was pretty annoying too).  You don't have to go anywhere special for this - we were in our cabin when it blew, but it was really loud even with our hands over our ears.  This did not happen on every cruise I've been on.  I just wanted to let you know it might happen, as it could be a problem if you are not prepared.  In your situation, I'd ask about it so you can decide how to prepare.

So, because I'm an idiot, do they sound the alarm when they do #1 (muster station gathering) AND again for #2? 

He's still not his best self, but I need to start practicing with him. Sigh.

2 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

So, because I'm an idiot, do they sound the alarm when they do #1 (muster station gathering) AND again for #2? 

He's still not his best self, but I need to start practicing with him. Sigh.

I do not remember if they sound the alarm during #1.  To be honest - we missed the muster station gathering this last time (which is a no-no).  But I have been on other cruises, so I kind of know the drill.

Anyway, all ships are different, so you would be best off asking the cruise company for the details.  Let them know your special situation, and hopefully they will even have some suggestions the Hive didn't think of.  🙂

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Storygirl said:

I imagine your son will need you to be his companion for most hours of the day and will keep you busy. But if he goes to the kids club, or if he hangs out with the grandparents, and you have time to yourself, that will be your down time.

I think I'll go through the program, like you say, and see if there are some things I want to do. I want to check him into the children's program at least for an hour here or there, because I think the experience will be good for him. And, like you say, maybe my mom and I pick out some things we want to do and say sorry, you're checked in while grandpa naps, haha. I think they're more likely to nap/lounge and I'm more likely to go out of my gourd and go find something. 

Some ships have a free soft serve ice cream machine somewhere.

Oh that's just what my waist needs, lol.

You may find you need to walk through the casino at times.

Let me finish mapping it and see. I thought the girl on the phone said you don't on this ship. That would be like absolute dealbreaker for me. 

the games are very expensive, so it is an easy way for kids to blow through spending money. We've always just warned my kids in advance that they can look in the arcade, but we won't play any games there.

Oh dear, thanks for the heads-up! I set a spending limit of $50 on his card. I figured that way if he wanted a milkshake when out with his grandparents, he could without any confusion. But you're right, just saying no to the arcade would be best.

You mentioned a milkshake, for example. That will be an extra charge (and it will be much higher than what you would pay for for a milkshake on land).

I'll go look at the drink plan. I thought they had one that included milkshakes, lol. He shouldn't have so much dairy, but he lives on soft things sometimes. It's a sensory thing for him and sometimes that's the fastest way to solve a problem is to produce ice cream. I'll scope out the machines and see. I found pics showing drink fountains on the decks, haha. I just haven't finished. I'm probably going to use some tools like that during the alarms to keep things chilled.

5 hours ago, Twolittleboys said:

Often there are separate lines for people in suites/with higher loyalty levels etc. - maybe check whether there is a separate line you could use if the regular ones are long (in my experience it is a breeze though).

Yup, they said they'll put us through the priority line just by asking. It's already in the file. They less time he's in long lines and crowds, the better. We're paying to park super close too. Basically we have to decrease every bit of stress. so we can get through muster and the alarms. Once we're through that, I can solve anything with hot tubs, ice cream, room service... LOL

5 hours ago, Twolittleboys said:

I would either stay on your balcony (if you have one - we never do but not sure what cabin you booked), find a quieter deck, watch from a restaurant/lounge or just skip it.

Ok, then that will be the plan. I was thinking it might be like tv and streamers, haha. I watched LoveBoat as a child and may be incurable, lol. And the room would be good enough, sure. And yes, we're on Carnival. I kept thinking how much he'd enjoy the water slides, so that's what I went with. Things we're filling up so I just had to take a stab. The boat completely sold out the next day. No regrets yet. As I've dug in, it seems fine. The things I was drawn to (BBQ and waterslides) look good and it will work out. If something else would have been BETTER, I don't know. I just figured it will work. Honestly the food in the pictures I've seen from the main dining room looks abominable, and I don't know that I'll find anything there to eat. The Indian food options sound good. But the bbq will work and the specialty restaurants look good. 

3 hours ago, Bootsie said:

If your son finds it calming to suck on a straw, I would pack some straws or maybe a cup with a lid and straw that you can pour his drinks into.  I don't remember seeing straws on previous cruises (because of environmental concerns).  

Oh my lands. Oh my. You are SO RIGHT. I'll have to talk with him. Yes, straws can be a huge deal here. Don't laugh, but he carries a kiddie sipper cup that he uses at home. It's just very calming to get that input. Ok, now you can laugh. He had me save a whole bunch of the sipper/pop tops that go on water bottles, and I think his plan was to change out plain caps to sipper caps. 

33 minutes ago, Clear Creek said:

I use a lanyard to carry my Sail & Sign card, but I don't wear it around my neck - I loop it around a belt loop and stick it in my pocket. You will have a safe in your room where you can keep your wallets, passports, etc. (just remember to bring a gift card or something with a magnetic strip to use to get into it). I only carry my Sail & Sign card, camera, and the gift card for the safe around with me on the ship. I bring a crossbody purse to use at the different ports to carry money, my Sail & Sign card (that is the only thing that will get you back on the ship), my driver's license (for ID), a camera, and a photocopy of my passport.

Thanks, everything you wrote was very helpful! And yes, I just finished our boarding whatever online and it lists the muster station. I'll be sure to explain it to him. Yes, he's going to be wristbanded. I think he'll be fine with it. He's worn magic bands at Disney, though he throws them when he gets angry (ugh). He's strong enough to rip kevlar. 

For him the noise of those alarms will be the biggest deal. He can even wet or have other things happen from the stress. I think it will be fine. It's pretty high support, with 3 adults in the group. It's not like it's just me. So high support to divide and conquer (I'll take you for ice cream while Grandma gets such and such)

I just remembered that one of the cruise lines we went on would not allow any food or drinks at the muster station during the initial drill.  (I don't know if this is a universal rule).  You may see if you can be assigned a special muster station that is a bit more accommodating than the general muster stations

Ok, we practiced today with 3 video clips I loaded onto youtube. He was ok with the noise and worse headphones, but then he got really stressed and wasn't ready to be around people. So we'll keep working on it and calm that down. Maybe we can think up some strategies. Even when he's rationalizing it, the body's response is still pretty visceral and stressful. I may just ask them to let us be in the cabin. There's zero benefit to him being out and it's almost unsafe.