Menu
Jump to content

What's with the ads?

mommyoffive

Gymboree is closing

Recommended Posts

That makes me sad.  I still have dds' blankets from Gymboree.  Their clothes were one of the few my eczema/sensitive baby could wear. 

Toys R Us

Borders Books

Teavana

so many of my favorites are gone.  Locally, some stores are closing near us (not the entire chain, but the ones we shop). Our nearby Whole Earth Provisions closed the week after Christmas.  Lord and Taylor store near us is closing.  Beauty Brands that we shop at locally is closing that store (found that out when trying to use my rewards bucks).  I must be getting old

Edited by HollyDay
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I almost never get attached to brands, but Gymboree sold boys’ rompers/one-piece outfits that I loved when my youngest was little.  It was almost impossible to find boys’ rompers in 18-24 months or larger so I bought every one they had.  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can see that.    I usually get nice warm pants for the kids there every winter, but they had nothing at all this fall.  It's like their inventory was shrinking.

That's too bad.  I thought they had decent quality.  All their pieces last me through all three boys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMO it all went downhill when Bain consulting suggested a rapid multinational expansion.

The Gymboree parent company is hoping to sell off Janie and Jack but they are also closing all Crazy 8 stores.

I have been shopping at Gymboree for 15 years. We made purchases last week. I guess I had better go back and buy for next fall. 😞

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aw, I loved Gymboree when mine were little. I have such fond memories of all the adorable dresses I bought for my tomboy oldest dd that she never liked to wear:-) They were so cute. I haven't been there in years but still makes me sad! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, SamanthaCarter said:

What happens to Crazy 8? These are the clothes that actually fit my skinny kiddos. 

 

All closing for Gymboree and Crazy 8 stores

From CNN https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/17/business/gymboree-bankruptcy-filing/index.html

“Gymboree Group said it plans to start closing all of its Gymboree and Crazy 8 branded stores, according to the filing. That's about 800 stores.

...

The company's Janie and Jack stores, a more upscale brand, are expected to be sold through bankruptcy court auction next month. A unit of Goldman Sachs has already agreed to be a bidder. 

There are 147 Janie and Jack stores. The filing does not specify if all of them will be kept open. But the 534 stores that use Gymboree name are all slated to close, as are all 264 Crazy 8 stores. The company has 11,000 part-time and full-time employees.”

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah, that's too bad. I never bought their stuff new, but received some as gifts and had some I found at used clothing sales. It was my favorite brand when mine were little.

Traditional retail is just plain struggling.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, Arctic Mama said:

INQUIRING NOSY PEOPLE WANT TO KNOW??

 

2 hours ago, school17777 said:

 

What was that?

 

There was shock and outrage among Gymboree fans when they started coming out with stuff like this:

https://goo.gl/images/8gH5qW

ETA: And in general the new lines were reckoned to be not only ugly, but too grown-up. Gone were the cute matchable brightly-colored clothes with fun themes--the new lines had more neutrals and muted colors, more like Gap or H&M.

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 5
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I liked their stuff. I would get it at the thrift store when it was available or for good sales and it always held up and they were comfortable and cute. My ds likes these pants I got there and I was going to see if grandma could pick some up for us but I guess I should do that.

Edited by MistyMountain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, MercyA said:

 

 

 

There was shock and outrage among Gymboree fans when they started coming out with stuff like this:

https://goo.gl/images/8gH5qW

ETA: And in general the new lines were reckoned to be not only ugly, but too grown-up. Gone were the cute matchable brightly-colored clothes with fun themes--the new lines had more neutrals and muted colors, more like Gap or H&M.

I love that sweater??? But I love Coogi too so who knows about my taste.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

I love that sweater??? But I love Coogi too so who knows about my taste.

You do you! I had to google Coogi. I don't love the sweaters, but I do love color! 

I really like Justice and a lot of moms hate it, so no judgment here! 😉 [ETA: And I just found out their sizing goes up to girls' 24 plus, which means I could actually get tees to match my daughter's!]

Edited by MercyA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SamanthaCarter said:

What happens to Crazy 8? These are the clothes that actually fit my skinny kiddos. 

Yeah I am bummed about Crazy 8. They are literally the only brand of jeans that fit my ds, and I love their PJs too. They actually hold up and don’t pill. Just one further step toward everything coming from Amazon I guess. 😞 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awww, this is kind of sad for me. I loved buying leggings and a coordinating shirt for my dds every fall. Excellent quality--many items were used by all three girls (until the younger two grew bigger than their sister).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bummer. I was never crazy about Gymboree since it was too themed for me and more than I wanted to spend on messy little boys. But crazy 8 has been a favorite. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, EmseB said:

I wonder if they will maintain an online store?

The email I got says they're shutting stores and websites. I'll see if I can paste it. I just ordered a ton of jeans for ds while I could. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

The email I got says they're shutting stores and websites. I'll see if I can paste it. I just ordered a ton of jeans for ds while I could. 

Ah, the thing I read said they were closing the stores but trying to save J&J.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

I love that sweater??? But I love Coogi too so who knows about my taste.

Girl, no.  Just no.   Those Pom poms are b-a-n-a-n-a-s.  And cooji??  So that’s where they got the Bill Cosby sweaters from!  🤣

I’m sad anytime a retailer closes up shop, especially one like this.  I still haven’t gotten over Toys r Us closing.   (Management’s fault, btw, IMO) 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MercyA said:

You do you! I had to google Coogi. I don't love the sweaters, but I do love color! 

I really like Justice and a lot of moms hate it, so no judgment here! 😉 [ETA: And I just found out their sizing goes up to girls' 24 plus, which means I could actually get tees to match my daughter's!]

Ha!  I like it, too. I buy stuff in size 16 for my Marine daughter there...unicorn stuff usually 🙂  I like that it is all glittery and girly...a marine girl needs to be reminded she is a girl ❤️

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to buy like 90% of my kids’ clothes there, but the quality started going down hill a few years ago. Sizes started being off, fabric quality was poor. Towards the end of my Gymboree days I would have to buy leggings 2 sizes too big because I knew they would shrink so much. It just wasn’t as good a brand as it used to be. It’s sad.

Like someone else said, I used to buy their sleepers because it was hard to find all cotton sleepers for my eczema prone girl. 

I’m not surprised, but I am saddened. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, HollyDay said:

That makes me sad.  I still have dds' blankets from Gymboree.  Their clothes were one of the few my eczema/sensitive baby could wear. 

Toys R Us

Borders Books

Teavana

so many of my favorites are gone.  Our local Whole Earth Provisions closed the week after Christmas.  Lord and Taylor store is closing.  Beauty Brands is closing locally (found that out when trying to use my rewards bucks).  I must be getting old

I had not even realized Whole Earth Provisions had closed. So sad!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know...I feel like their Gymbucks program caused a lot of problems. I always felt frustrated dealing with it and it was a real turn off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Janeway said:

You know...I feel like their Gymbucks program caused a lot of problems. I always felt frustrated dealing with it and it was a real turn off. 

Well, they started having earning time way too much. It used to be like twice a year and then it seemed like earning time started right as soon as redemption time ended. It lost its appeal. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gymboree ran way too big for my oldest, then by the time my bigger baby came it was off my radar. We did a lot of Hannah stuff. 

I cruised through the Janie and Jack when they opened in our mall. Very cute, but those prices are extortion. It just felt silly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, snickerplum said:

Well, they started having earning time way too much. It used to be like twice a year and then it seemed like earning time started right as soon as redemption time ended. It lost its appeal. 

If left me feeling like buying less because I had to save things to buy the next time, and then I did not make it back in so I never bought more..and it was a never ending cycle of this stupid calculus that lost a lot of sale with me. I am sure it caused a lot of losses with others. They should have just been more straight forward. Gimmicks are too old and every store has them and no one has the time for them..especially people with younger children.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m a little sad.  I really liked their clothes and they were more durable than stuff locally.  The last couple of years were definitely downhill though.  Also about two years ago they stopped letting international customers use gym bucks which was kind of annoying.  Particularly since there was no warning till you’d done all your shopping and then coupon code wouldn’t work at the checkout.  Also prices went up quite a bit.  Plus the styles were much less distinctive.  My boys will be disappointed though as they are still the only jeans they really like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

😮 Oooooh. Sad. My kids lived in Gymboree for the first 3 or 4 years of their lives! I haven't been inside a store in a decade - but had just sort of assumed I'd buy grandkids' stuff there too one of these days! Guess that's not happening!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Janeway said:

I had not even realized Whole Earth Provisions had closed. So sad!

Not all of Whole Earth Provisions closed.  I think it is just the one near us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, HollyDay said:

Not all of Whole Earth Provisions closed.  I think it is just the one near us.

The one near us is closed too. I looked it up when I read your post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots of retailer are closing. We are a society who wants to order online.  My sister is a manager for a retailer and she just got the memo that they are closing in March and going 100% online.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Attolia said:

Lots of retailer are closing. We are a society who wants to order online.  My sister is a manager for a retailer and she just got the memo that they are closing in March and going 100% online.

I guess I'm old school.  I want to try on shoes and jeans and dresses before I buy. I know many online stores offer free shipping and returns, but I don't want to order 3 sizes and send back 2.  I want to make sure my foundation is the correct shade and feels good on my face before I buy it. 

But, I also need to consider my budget.  If I can buy a product 60% cheaper online, then for the sake of my budget, I need to do that. 

Customer service is important too.  I have 3 grocery stores within 5 miles of my house.  I can shop at any one of the 3 (and they all do home delivery).  Prices are comparable.  Customer service sometimes determines where I go. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, HollyDay said:

I guess I'm old school.  I want to try on shoes and jeans and dresses before I buy. I know many online stores offer free shipping and returns, but I don't want to order 3 sizes and send back 2.  I want to make sure my foundation is the correct shade and feels good on my face before I buy it. 

But, I also need to consider my budget.  If I can buy a product 60% cheaper online, then for the sake of my budget, I need to do that. 

Customer service is important too.  I have 3 grocery stores within 5 miles of my house.  I can shop at any one of the 3 (and they all do home delivery).  Prices are comparable.  Customer service sometimes determines where I go. 

 

 

I agree.  For that reason, I believe that adult clothes and shoes retailers will stay brick and mortar.  Kids are different, also convenience is the god of our culture and not many people make a special trip to a mall to buy kid's clothes.  Some do, but many will get what they need at, say, Target since they are already there?  

Money is NOT the driving force right, convenience is...the meal services, order online pick up in store, or order online and have it delivered?  Those things are huge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Attolia said:

 

I agree.  For that reason, I believe that adult clothes and shoes retailers will stay brick and mortar.  Kids are different, also convenience is the god of our culture and not many people make a special trip to a mall to buy kid's clothes.  Some do, but many will get what they need at, say, Target since they are already there?  

Money is NOT the driving force right, convenience is...the meal services, order online pick up in store, or order online and have it delivered?  Those things are huge.

I agree.  When my dc were little (nursing baby and toddler/preschooler), a grocery store that delivered would have been HUGE.  I would have paid extra for such a service, especially if one was sick or fussy or teething.

I went into a box store a few months ago and the store was dirty/messy and the employees were just rude.  I asked one where a department was and he mumbled he didn't know, wasn't his department.  I get that customer service type jobs are not easy, that is why I always try to be courteous.  In this current climate of stores closing, customer service and clean stores go a long way. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 6:09 PM, MercyA said:

 

 

 

There was shock and outrage among Gymboree fans when they started coming out with stuff like this:

https://goo.gl/images/8gH5qW

ETA: And in general the new lines were reckoned to be not only ugly, but too grown-up. Gone were the cute matchable brightly-colored clothes with fun themes--the new lines had more neutrals and muted colors, more like Gap or H&M.

That sweater/sweatshirt thing is hideous.

Edited by Reefgazer
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 10:22 PM, snickerplum said:

I used to buy like 90% of my kids’ clothes there, but the quality started going down hill a few years ago. Sizes started being off, fabric quality was poor. Towards the end of my Gymboree days I would have to buy leggings 2 sizes too big because I knew they would shrink so much. It just wasn’t as good a brand as it used to be. It’s sad.

Like someone else said, I used to buy their sleepers because it was hard to find all cotton sleepers for my eczema prone girl. 

I’m not surprised, but I am saddened. 

I also used to buy most of my kids' clothing there when they were really little.  I saw the quality fall about 15 years ago, and then it slipped badly again not too long after that.  I stopped buying it because at that point it just became another cheaply made clothing line with crappy quality.  I thought back then that they wouldn't last because they were charging high prices for stuff that was garbage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2019 at 4:41 PM, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Yeah I am bummed about Crazy 8. They are literally the only brand of jeans that fit my ds, and I love their PJs too.  

 

The Children’s Place slim skinny jeans (https://www.childrensplace.com/us/p/Boys-Basic-Skinny-Jeans---Deep-Blue-Wash-2061436-252) fit my skinny DS13 since he was a toddler. For PJs, Carter’s has been our fallback.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This makes me sad. Our local mall has lost Bergner's, is losing Sears, and now Gymboree and Crazy 8. There's not going to be much there pretty soon. 

My youngest is still wearing some shirts that went through the older two kids. My mom used to shop ebay (somewhat excessively), and she loved to buy Gymboree. 

I never really liked Crazy 8; the few things I've purchased there (note the excessive purchasing, so lots of hand me downs) haven't lasted more than a season. The colors faded horribly on both the shirts and pj's. 

The kids had a few things from Janie and Jack, but they were baby things so re-sold on ebay years ago. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That makes me sad too!  We didn't buy a lot of clothes there, but I loved to browse, and when I did buy something there it was special and made it through 4 girls.  Their clothes were a high quality soft, thick cotton, colorful and cute.

I don't know where retail stores are heading these days.  Even Gap is closing at the big mall this spring...everything in the store is 80% off now.  Gap used to be one of the anchor stores at that mall!  That's a real shocker.  Macy's closed last year in our state's biggest city's downtown -- it was one of their biggest nationwide department stores.  So sad!  

I often shop online because it's convenient and I live so far from stores, but if I have an afternoon to spend at an actual mall, I much prefer to shop at real stores.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awww, sorry to hear this news. My kids are all college age or older but I have fond memories of their clothes. The soft cotton was ideal for sensory issues for one of my kiddos. And some of my favorite pics of my daughter as a little one were in Gymboree clothing.  

Also, I'm just sorry to see another brick and mortar business close their doors. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...