Menu

MFW language lessons for today

Nam2001

My youngest was part of the beta test group with levels 2-6. She was older than the suggested age but working at those levels due to special education needs. Books 2 and 3 are based heavily on Emma Serl's Primary Language Lessons.  Book 4 was based heavily on Serl's Intermediate Lang. Lessons.  books 5 and 6 were based on different public domain book that I don't remember right now.  4, 5,6 of mfw books begin gentle intro into parts of speech. I noticed that was something different from when my older girls used Serl's Intermediate language (which began definitions of parts of speech in the 6th grade section.)  I liked how mfw encourage student to make flash cards with parts of speech and maybe some rules of commas along the way.  I thought the mfw books were good CM approach. lessons were intentionally short (ala CM) for each day.  included memory work, art appreciation, etc. not workbooks.

not sure what else you'd like to know. It's been a few years since we did those. But if you're familiar with the style of Serl books (with modern updates for how we address letters, and little thing like that), then you have a good handle on mfw books 2, 3,4. And 5 and 6 weren't all that different in approach.

I love the Serl books! So I will vote awesome😁.

I like FLL 1/2 for 1st LA as it is mostly oral and that let's Handwriting a copywork be a simple start to language.

I like PLL for 2nd and 3rd...I think this is so similar to MFW- if I didn't already own Serl I would have been tempted to go MFW.

I love Rod and Staff level 3-8 after PLL is finished😁.  I often spend summers doing ILL...as I love it to.  You really can't go wrong with MFW LA choices they are gentle, but not lacking at all..kwim.

Brenda

I hope you enjoy LA shopping😁.