Menu

The after lunch slump

fairfarmhand

Holy cow. Every day around 1:30-2 pm I just can’t stand it. Sooooo sleepy.

im sleeping very well at night, bettter than I have in years. But still...

mostly it’s probably related to the fact that the sun has retired from service in my area for a few months. Just gray chilly January. 

So how do you power through the after lunch slump? I really have things I need to do besides doze next to the fireplace like a cat.

• Like 3

I have a similar problem with eating breakfast.  I am seriously considering skipping breakfast as it makes me worthless - I often take a nap after - and I have too much to do.

I guess if you push through it clears after some time, but I'm not that strong sometimes.

Not that it's necessarily bad to take a nap, if you plan your life that way so stuff still gets done.

• Like 1

I find that if I nap/doze a few days in a row my body quickly adapts to demanding that nap at the same time every day. For me it’s the 3 pm hour that is difficult. What I do is intentionally schedule something at that time- something active- and after a couple of days my body resets. I actually did that today- I napped Sunday and found myself unable to stay awake Monday or Tuesday during that time period, so today I started an active project a half hour before my sleepy time. 

‘Sometimes I can nap and it’s no problem. Other times it leads to an almost groggy *I MUST NAP* situation.  I don’t understand why it happens, but it’s pretty annoying. 

• Like 3

I roll with it.
At our previous homes, that was the customary rest in the day. It seems it's normal for most people. Here, I make myself a cup of tea, get a snack, and we all take a break for about half an hour or so.  That gets me centered again to finish up the last bit of school, start on evening demands, and go again until about 8-8:30pm, when I take my next real relax break before bedtime.

• Like 1

Most times when that happens, I just give in and get in bed for thirty minutes. It really helps to power through until bedtime. If I push through it, I’m useless after dinner, so I think it’s either a wash or better (I can tidy the kitchen before bed!) to just give in to the nap. I mean, a lot of people who work F/T outside the home will take a power nap in thier car at lunchtime...

• Like 2

20 hours ago, fairfarmhand said:

Holy cow. Every day around 1:30-2 pm I just can’t stand it. Sooooo sleepy.

im sleeping very well at night, bettter than I have in years. But still...

mostly it’s probably related to the fact that the sun has retired from service in my area for a few months. Just gray chilly January. 

So how do you power through the after lunch slump? I really have things I need to do besides doze next to the fireplace like a cat.

The first time this happened to me I was very shocked.  I called it crashing fatigue.  As in I couldn't listen to my son read to me for 5 minutes without falling asleep.  My Vit D level was very low.  Now I notice it every Feb.  I take Vit D supplements, and I seek out the sun as much as I can.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

The first time this happened to me I was very shocked.  I called it crashing fatigue.  As in I couldn't listen to my son read to me for 5 minutes without falling asleep.  My Vit D level was very low.  Now I notice it every Feb.  I take Vit D supplements, and I seek out the sun as much as I can.  

Oooo. Good idea! I hadn’t thought of that! 

I would like to live in a culture where everyone embraces the afternoon nap. It’s so restorative. If I can just conk out for 30-60 minutes around 3, I can be my regular bouncy self until 10p.m. For me it’s more efficient to give in to the nap than it is to trudge through the afternoon at half-speed.  I ADORE naps. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, KungFuPanda said:

I would like to live in a culture where everyone embraces the afternoon nap. It’s so restorative. If I can just conk out for 30-60 minutes around 3, I can be my regular bouncy self until 10p.m. For me it’s more efficient to give in to the nap than it is to trudge through the afternoon at half-speed.  I ADORE naps. 

This is me too. If we are home, I am usually in my bed from 3-4. Sometimes I feel guilty or lazy about it, but I love it. If I am up in the night with kids or have to get up early, I just know I only have to make it until 3. Then after my nap I can do all the evening activities, dinner, bedtimes, etc no problem. I probably take about 4 naps a week. I don’t know if I should be admitting that, lol. 

I wish I could nap.  Usually I can't fall asleep, when I can sleep I find it keeps me awake at night.

Mainly, I need to keep track of my vitamin D because I do tend to be deficient, and try to stay active.  I teach from 10am to 2pm with just a quick break for lunch most days so that helps.

11 hours ago, Where's Toto? said:

I wish I could nap.  Usually I can't fall asleep, when I can sleep I find it keeps me awake at night.

A quiet rest is just as helpful for many people as actually sleeping. For me, lying down on the bed is way better than relaxing on the sofa, others are fine with a cup of tea and a puzzle book. Low carb, Vitamin D, and a walk or even just a few minutes aside are also helpful. 

On 1/16/2019 at 5:39 PM, Frances said:

I work, so napping is not an option. Eating low carb every three hours keeps my energy consistent. 

If you drive to work, napping is definitely an option, lol. 

1 hour ago, katilac said:

A quiet rest is just as helpful for many people as actually sleeping. For me, lying down on the bed is way better than relaxing on the sofa, others are fine with a cup of tea and a puzzle book. Low carb, Vitamin D, and a walk or even just a few minutes aside are also helpful. 

If you drive to work, napping is definitely an option, lol. 

I walk to work.

12 hours ago, katilac said:

I find putting on headphones and listening to music helpful.  I also like to watch videos of music set to clips from shows or movies, in particular right now Supernatural, Marvel and Buffy.  Kind of odd, I know, but for some reason it always gives me a relaxing feeling.  Most of the songs are Imagine Dragons or Fall Out Boy.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Where's Toto? said:

I find putting on headphones and listening to music helpful.  I also like to watch videos of music set to clips from shows or movies, in particular right now Supernatural, Marvel and Buffy.  Kind of odd, I know, but for some reason it always gives me a relaxing feeling.  Most of the songs are Imagine Dragons or Fall Out Boy.  

I might have to try that! I guess it's relaxing because it's characters you like and are familiar with but you aren't trying to follow a plot or listen for witty banter. 

You have great taste in fandoms. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, katilac said:

I might have to try that! I guess it's relaxing because it's characters you like and are familiar with but you aren't trying to follow a plot or listen for witty banter. 

You have great taste in fandoms. 

Thanks. 🙂

This is one of my favorites (it's not as gloomy as some Supernatural ones can be):   A poster named AngelDove does some amazing Supernatural ones.

Edited by Where's Toto?
  • Thanks 1

I'm reading the book "When: The Scientific Secrets of Perfect Timing". The author said he used to hate naps until he read the research and changed his napping habits. A bit of caffeine and a 20 minute nap is supposed to greatly improve cognitive ability for the rest of the day. I'm already a napper, but I usually sleep too long and then feel groggy. I'm going to try the caffeine/short nap idea.