Menu

Dr Hive: Keep or cancel this appointment?

athena1277

Back in May, 2yo dd fell and hit her head.  She was breathing, but unresponsive for 30-60 seconds.  Her eyes were darting left to right uncontrollably during that time.  Once it stopped, she acted fine.  We took her the the pediatric ER.  Doc there did a very basic evaluation and said it did not look like she had a seizure or other problem.  Her conclusion was dd had “knocked herself silly” and was fine.  Over a month later dd was playing while we were watching a movie.  She’s laying on the floor and starts saying, “What’s happening to us?” repeatedly. At first we think she’s playing, but then we realize she’s panicked about something that’s not actually happening. Then it stops and she’s fine.  Over the next 2-3 weeks she has 2 more similar spells. We took her to her pediatrician who ordered an EEG. EEG is normal.  Insurance won’t authorize the head CT the doctor also wanted, so she refers us to the only pediatric neurologist in town, hoping insurance will cover it if that doc requests it.  That was August.  The earliest appointment with the neurologist is in Feb.  Dd has not had any problems of this nature since then.  I kinda feel like we are wasting time and money to see this doctor now, but something did happen, so maybe we should still go.

What would you do?  Keep or cancel the appointment?

I would keep the appointment.

1ds fell, and seemed ok.  then he'd have "episodes".  went to his ped, went to other peds, went to a ped neuro, went to the children's hospital for testing, all while episodes continued - every three months.  in between, he was perfectly fine.  despite all the drs, and testing, etc.  they couldn't come up with a concrete diagnosis, and their treatment was questionable.

turned out, he pinched a nerve in his spine.  (once he was treated for that - and needed to be done while he continued to grow, he was fine.)

so, pursue it.  you really don't know if she's clear of symptoms or not.

• Like 2

Keep the appointment.

And, did they explain to you that you can have a normal EEG and still be having seizures? Like, that is very common in the neurology world.  If you haven't had a really extensive conversation with a qualified pediatric neurologist about what seizures can look like, please have that during your appointment. 

• Like 3

Agreeing to keep the appointment.

I have a sister who developed seizures long after she fell on her head.  Not sure whether they could have been prevented, but if there is a possibility I would want to look into it sooner rather than later.  Also, if she has another episode and you have let the appointment lapse, you will probably have to wait another 6 months to get a look.

2 hours ago, athena1277 said:

Back in May, 2yo dd fell and hit her head.  She was breathing, but unresponsive for 30-60 seconds.  Her eyes were darting left to right uncontrollably during that time.  Once it stopped, she acted fine.  We took her the the pediatric ER.  Doc there did a very basic evaluation and said it did not look like she had a seizure or other problem.  Her conclusion was dd had “knocked herself silly” and was fine.  Over a month later dd was playing while we were watching a movie.  She’s laying on the floor and starts saying, “What’s happening to us?” repeatedly. At first we think she’s playing, but then we realize she’s panicked about something that’s not actually happening. Then it stops and she’s fine.  Over the next 2-3 weeks she has 2 more similar spells. We took her to her pediatrician who ordered an EEG. EEG is normal.  Insurance won’t authorize the head CT the doctor also wanted, so she refers us to the only pediatric neurologist in town, hoping insurance will cover it if that doc requests it.  That was August.  The earliest appointment with the neurologist is in Feb.  Dd has not had any problems of this nature since then.  I kinda feel like we are wasting time and money to see this doctor now, but something did happen, so maybe we should still go.

What would you do?  Keep or cancel the appointment?

This sounds like it could be complex partial.seizures. 

She might have fallen because she had the seizure and not vice versa.

The episodes where she thinks something is happeneing, it could be seizure activity. My DD's seizures start with a fear aura...She looks terrified and makes a terrified gasping noise.

Keep the appointment. Write down everything you can now with as much detail as possible. If it happens again, talk to the Neuro about long term monitoring.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, unsinkable said:

The episodes where she thinks something is happeneing, it could be seizure activity. My DD's seizures start with a fear aura...She looks terrified and makes a terrified gasping noise.

Keep the appointment. Write down everything you can now with as much detail as possible. If it happens again, talk to the Neuro about long term monitoring.

I was wondering this too - do you know how she fell? 

And yes, keep the appointment if only to find out what to look for next time, if there is a next time. Also, how long was the EEG for? Was it sleep deprived? if any episodes happen again be sure to video them if you can. 

This is why I asked here!  You all have given me a lot of reasons to ge that I had not considered and things I did not know could be issues.  I’ll be sure to keep the appointment. Thank you all!

Also, since some of you asked, she was 3-4 feet from me playing when she fell.  I didn’t quite see it as I was working on something, but I knew as soon as it happened.  The EEG was sleep deprived.  The woman who did it stayed she did everything just right for them to get the most accurate results.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, unsinkable said:

Yes, this.

Anything you can catch on video (even if it happens years from now) will be a huge help.

My daughter’s seizures were just a few seconds of her being “zoned out”. It was subtle.