Menu

UPDATE - 8 Seater mid-size SUV?

Ann.without.an.e

Final Update

We went with a 2019 Honda Pilot.  We were really torn, right down to this last weekend between the Honda Pilot and the Subaru Ascent.  

What made our decision?

1) How reliable our old one has been (15 years, 230,000 miles and zero work on it apart from normal maintenance, brake replacements, tires, etc).  

2) We were a little nervous to put that much money into a new model year (Subaru Ascent is new for 2019). 

3) We were able to get the Pilot with AWD, EX-L (leather, moonroof, and some other nice features) for a few thousand cheaper (out the door) than the Subaru with leather (no sunroof) and Honda had an incentive on the APR. If we wanted a base model, Subaru may have been the cheaper option?  We didn't full price that out.

So that was our decision.  It is done and I love it.  Apple Car Play is awesome too 🙂 

We are smaller people and don't need so much space and I rarely actually have 6 people with me (college girl, teen driver, etc).  I can see where most families of 6 might need more space?

Thanks for all of your input. This thread was helpful to us.  We looked at most of the models suggested.  In the end, we went with the update of what we had.  It was good to review all of the other options out there. 

Hopefully this helps someone else 🙂 

*********************************************************************************

We will most likely replace our family vehicle in the next year (fifteen year old Honda Pilot).  We love the Pilot.  It has been the perfect vehicle for our family.  It has 230,000 miles on it and we have literally done nothing but maintenance.  We will make it a teen driver vehicle if it is still running as good as it is now.  The body style was changed in 2016 and it is a bit smaller.  We might simply buy a newer Pilot but we are unsure.  We want to look and see what other options there are. The Toyota 4Runner seems to be more comparable to the old Pilot than most other options.

I would like 8 seats, but might compromise for 7 if the cargo space is sufficient.  There are 6 of us and 2 dogs when go on road trips.  I also tend to bring home extra college kids for breaks, etc.  I can't go much smaller than what we have now.  

My initial thought is to test drive:

Honda Pilot, Toyota 4Runner, Subaru Ascent, Nissan Armada, Infiniti QX80, and maybe the Benz GLS?  Any experiences with these?  Any vehicles we should add to the list as we are looking?    

ETA - I know that I don't want a suburban or another large SUV.  I am simply not comfortable going that large.

ETA 2 - We are smallish people.  I know that my tall friends would never be comfortable in a Pilot and would need a suburban or expedition.  DH is the tallest at 5'10" and my girls are both right at 5'1".  

ETA3 - obviously we push the limits of what most people would do with a Pilot 😂  This is one reason I am afraid to go smaller.  When we go all 6 and 2 dogs, it is tight and one poor person is crammed the back seat, three in the middle bench.  I never said that it was comfortable.  But the reality is, most of the time it is just me and 2 kids max.  It is only for the rare trip that we squeeze in.

Edited by Attolia
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

With big sized people, I’d go for a bigger sized vehicle.  Your demands on it are substantial enough a mid size is just going to be a squeeze every which way, I think.

For what it’s worth I’ve driven a suburban and then a twelve passenger van for the last seven years in fairly tough climates. And I’m 5’2”.  They handle fine, and the fuel economy on the larger SUVs and vans has been getting better, if you shop carefully.

Of your list, the Armada and Pilot would be my top contenders, but that would be with the knowledge they sit tight for that many people and animals.

I added an ETA 2 😂

I drive a Volvo XC90.  It seats 7 pretty comfortably, but probably not for a long trip. I definitely don't think it would be big enough for 6 people, 2 dogs, and luggage.  DH used to have a Honda Pilot and that sounds like a lot to even fit in that.

DH now has some giant Yukon Denali XL or something like that. It is great for trips, and I feel like we fill it up pretty nicely with just 4 people and luggage!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

For illustrative purposes, third row up,  and one 80 lb dog in cargo area. 🙂 

(She doesn't normally look that sad- I think she thought I was taking her to the vet instead of just showing off my tiny cargo area.) 😂

rraM6U+HRhm0FURA+mYgqg.jpg

awww...poor girl.  She looks sweet though 🙂 

I think we need a bench in the middle.  It is tight in our pilot but it wouldn't be workable without a bench.  We put all but one seat down in the back and travel light.

Could you consider a car-top carrier for trips that have gear or more luggage?

I don't know what they've done with the 4Runner lately, but we had one and it basically was a regular 5-passenger vehicle with a cargo area in the back. And that row that fit three in the backseat was tight. I can't imagine fitting 8 even with a 3rd row.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, EmseB said:

Could you consider a car-top carrier for trips that have gear or more luggage?

I don't know what they've done with the 4Runner lately, but we had one and it basically was a regular 5-passenger vehicle with a cargo area in the back. And that row that fit three in the backseat was tight. I can't imagine fitting 8 even with a 3rd row.

Our Pilot's 3rd row is tight too.  We rarely use the whole row and we use one of the seats at the most.  We do have a car top carrier.  The 4Runner 3rd row is optional. We would have to get one with the third tow though.  

4 minutes ago, Attolia said:

Our Pilot's 3rd row is tight too.  We rarely use the whole row and we use one of the seats at the most.  We do have a car top carrier.  The 4Runner 3rd row is optional. We would have to get one with the third tow though.  

Yeah, I'm saying that 2nd row bench is not roomy in a 4Runner...it's like the backseat of a Camry or medium-size sedan. Is a Sequoia too big? I was thinking that would be more the equivalent of an Armada, but to me the Armadas seem huge.

I should also caveat that I drive a minivan because I gave up trying to find an SUV that worked for us (had 8 seats wasn't too cramped and could hold a dog and luggage for many cross-country drives). I didn't want the suburban (although after having the van for a few years now I think I'd be more willing to consider it) and I really like having sliding doors for loading and unloading people. So I'm probably not one to give advice in this thread! Just wanted to mention that the 4Runner seemed small for what you were looking for.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

I have not driven an Ascent, nor do I know how the size would fit your needs, but there is no current brand of automobile I'd choose over a Subaru.

Bill

I think It is new to the market for 2018 or 2019?  So no one really knows, but my thought is that you can't go too wrong with Subaru.  It is almost identical in size to the newer style Pilot.  I think they are attempting to compete in the market as Pilot, Highlander, Pathfinder, etc.

23 minutes ago, Attolia said:

I think It is new to the market for 2018 or 2019?  So no one really knows, but my thought is that you can't go too wrong with Subaru.  It is almost identical in size to the newer style Pilot.  I think they are attempting to compete in the market as Pilot, Highlander, Pathfinder, etc.

Yes, it is new. I sat in one at the dealership. Too big for me (I was looking at the new Foresters), but right in the same niche as the ones you mentioned.

I love everything about Subarus and would take one over a Toyota, Honda, Nissan, or Chevrolet, all other things being equal. They all make quality products. Subarus just have something special as far as I'm concerned.

Bill

• Like 2

Have you compared gas mileage? I'm not sure what years you are looking at but the Armada has a reputation of having extremely poor gas mileage. As in, you might as well get a Suburban, because you'll pay more for gas on the Armada. Maybe newer ones are more fuel efficient, though.

I have a mid-size SUV and recently test drove a Ford Expedition. It was much roomier and comfortable for all the kids and bags but not as truck like as a Suburban (which I have to drive every time my mid-size is getting repaired). For example, it was easy to pull in and out of parking spaces. In the suburban, I park at the back of the parking lot so there are empty spaces on either side of me. 😄 Anyway, I'm just offering a suggestion to maybe test drive an Expedition to see what you think.

• Like 1

We have 2014 and 2015 Pilots and I cannot possibly imagine eight people fitting in them comfortably, and six would be really pushing it. It is a tight squeeze when all five of us ride together. We're all tall, though, ranging from 5'10" to 6'5", and have long legs.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Selkie said:

We have 2014 and 2015 Pilots and I cannot possibly imagine eight people fitting in them comfortably, and six would be really pushing it. It is a tight squeeze when all five of us ride together. We're all tall, though, ranging from 5'10" to 6'5", and have long legs.

I can maybe think of one time when we have squeezed 8.  We put the small people in the back row that time.  8 is not our standard need.  We usually only seat 4-6.  Even when I bring college kids home, it is usually only 4-5 people and their stuff.  I will go alone and get them, not the whole family. The only reason I mentioned 8 seats was because there are many smaller SUVs with 7 seats that are simply too small for us.

55 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

Yes, it is new. I sat in one at the dealership. Too big for me (I was looking at the new Foresters), but right in the same niche as the ones you mentioned.

I love everything about Subarus and would take one over a Toyota, Honda, Nissan, or Chevrolet, all other things being equal. They all make quality products. Subarus just have something special as far as I'm concerned.

Bill

I have never sat in nor driven anything Subaru. I feel the same way about Hondas though.  My very first car was a Honda.  The brand has been super reliable for my family. I have a special place in my heart for them so I understand your sentiment for Subaru ❤️ 

33 minutes ago, MrsRobinson said:

Have you compared gas mileage? I'm not sure what years you are looking at but the Armada has a reputation of having extremely poor gas mileage. As in, you might as well get a Suburban, because you'll pay more for gas on the Armada. Maybe newer ones are more fuel efficient, though.

I have a mid-size SUV and recently test drove a Ford Expedition. It was much roomier and comfortable for all the kids and bags but not as truck like as a Suburban (which I have to drive every time my mid-size is getting repaired). For example, it was easy to pull in and out of parking spaces. In the suburban, I park at the back of the parking lot so there are empty spaces on either side of me. 😄 Anyway, I'm just offering a suggestion to maybe test drive an Expedition to see what you think.

DS wants me to test drive an Expedition.  I just don't want to feel like I am driving a tank (suburban) so it is good to know that you feel more comfortable driving one.  I don't typically go for non-Japanese cars but maybe I will test drive one to see 🙂 

• Like 1

I have one of the newer model Pilots and love it, but would have a hard time fitting 6 people, 2 dogs, and stuff in it.   My Pilot replaced a Honda Odyssey (which I loved....but got totaled in an accident), and if I needed more room, I'd get another Odyssey in a heartbeat.   When you test drive the new Pilots, definitely check out the Odyssey, even if you aren't thinking "minivan."

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Attolia said:

I have never sat in nor driven anything Subaru. I feel the same way about Hondas though.  My very first car was a Honda.  The brand has been super reliable for my family. I have a special place in my heart for them so I understand your sentiment for Subaru ❤️ 

What I like about Subarus, in addition to the amazing reliability (that is admittedly shared by Hondas) is that they have a quirkiness and character that Hondas, to my taste, lack.

Subarus, to me, feel like Japanese Volvos. The boxer engines in Subarus distribute weight and the center of gravity beautifully, the AWD systems are standard (and world-class), they are top rated for crash impact, they get the best mileage in the class (especially when considering AWD vs front wheel drive only) and to my taste, the interiors have more of a Euro-feel than the sterile/plastic Honda alternatives. The touring level trim is to die for but bumps the price.

There are many great vehicles in this class. Get the one that speaks to you. Our next vehicle will be another Subaru. I love 'em.

Bill

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SebastianCat said:

I have one of the newer model Pilots and love it, but would have a hard time fitting 6 people, 2 dogs, and stuff in it.   My Pilot replaced a Honda Odyssey (which I loved....but got totaled in an accident), and if I needed more room, I'd get another Odyssey in a heartbeat.   When you test drive the new Pilots, definitely check out the Odyssey, even if you aren't thinking "minivan."

Agreed. I'm wondering if your previous mini van experience was a long time ago? They've come a long way, and can basically be luxury cars..just bigger 🙂

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mmasc said:

Have you checked out a Chevrolet Traverse? It sounds like it might meet your needs. 

In addition to the Epedition, Chevy Traverse is also on our list if we decide to stay with a mid-size. Traverse has the largest interior space of the mid-size SUVs.

Can you tell we are in the market for a new to us family vehicle this year, also? 😊 

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, MrsRobinson said:

In addition to the Epedition, Chevy Traverse is also on our list if we decide to stay with a mid-size. Traverse has the largest interior space of the mid-size SUVs.

Can you tell we are in the market for a new to us family vehicle this year, also? 😊 

I have the 7-seater and have been very happy with it. Mine is the older style though, so the new design is even bigger! It’s very easy to drive, more like a car than an SUV imo. My MIL bought the 8-seater a few years after me and loves hers too. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, mmasc said:

I have the 7-seater and have been very happy with it. Mine is the older style though, so the new design is even bigger! It’s very easy to drive, more like a car than an SUV imo. My MIL bought the 8-seater a few years after me and loves hers too. 

I didn't realize it could be 7 or 8 passenger! If it's 7 passenger, does that mean the middle row is 2 captain's chairs? I'm thinking we will want the middle row to be a bench. We only use the 3rd row when we have extra people with us, so around 2 times/ month.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MrsRobinson said:

I didn't realize it could be 7 or 8 passenger! If it's 7 passenger, does that mean the middle row is 2 captain's chairs? I'm thinking we will want the middle row to be a bench. We only use the 3rd row when we have extra people with us, so around 2 times/ month.

Yep! Mine is the 7 seats with 2 captain chairs as the middle row; MIL’s is a bench in the middle. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Attolia said:

Those "after thought third row" benches are made for toddlers and no one bigger IMO.  We have a Sequoia, that is more made for the 3rd row, and it is even a little tight in the 3rd row, but my teen boys can fit ok, but 3 back there would not be comfortable.

But instead of a roof rack, we have one of those trailer hitch racks for luggage.  Roof racks really cut in on your gas mileage.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, MrsRobinson said:

Would an expedition work for a family of bigger people, too? We will drive our van until it dies, but it is getting a little tight now. Dh is 6'3". Dd15 is 5'10". Ds14 is starting to grow and is about 5'7" now; I think he'll be 6' or more a year from now. Both Ds12 and Dd9 will probably grow significantly in the next 2-3 years. The could both easily be close to 6' a year or two into our next vehicle (which I hope we don't have to buy for at least a year), if Dd9 starts her main growth spurt when Dd15 does. Then we will have Dd4 to fit in somewhere. So I'll need something that can basically seat 6 adults and a child comfortably and have enough cargo space for when we travel to TKD tournaments with luggage and 6 gear bags.

• Like 2

@MeriwetherI would definitely put it on your list to test drive when you are ready to car shop to see what you think. 

One nice comfort thing is that the 3rd row in the Expedition sits high like a minivan, whereas, the 3rd row in the mid-size SUVs sits on the floor (more or less). So anyone taller than 4 and a half feet has their knees up in the air, which can get very uncomfortable. 

Edited by MrsRobinson
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, DawnM said:

But instead of a roof rack, we have one of those trailer hitch racks for luggage.  Roof racks really cut in on your gas mileage.

We have done both (both on one trip, even!) and I agree, the hitch racks are much better. They are more versatile. We've loaded golf bags on it for tournaments, and coolers for big picnics and tailgating. They are also much easier to access. That's a huge plus. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just following up since there are others that voiced interest. 

We looked at the ...

4Runner - surprisingly did NOT like it. Awkward arrangement and even though it looks so large on the outside, it doesn’t seem to have as much usable space as one would imagine.

Expedition - wow, these things have all the bells and whistles. The price is higher than we can imagine paying, it is a bit large for our needs, I would like a tad better gas mileage. If we were larger people or I had more than 4 kids this would be an obvious choice.

Honda Pilot - still a fav, even in the new style. 

Subaru Ascent - this was our favorite. We are nervous about this being the first year? Are there kinks to work out? Should we simply trust it because it is Subaru?

@Spy Car

We think we will continue to save for a little longer and not buy yet. Maybe that will give Subaru a new model year to figure it out if there are issue 😂🤷🏻‍♀️❤️

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Attolia said:

We looked at the ...

4Runner - surprisingly did NOT like it. Awkward arrangement and even though it looks so large on the outside, it doesn’t seem to have as much usable space as one would imagine.

Expedition - wow, these things have all the bells and whistles. The price is higher than we can imagine paying, it is a bit large for our needs, I would like a tad better gas mileage. If we were larger people or I had more than 4 kids this would be an obvious choice.

Subaru Ascent - this was our favorite. We are nervous about this being the first year? Are there kinks to work out? Should we simply trust it because it is Subaru?

@Spy Car

We think we will continue to save for a little longer and not buy yet. Maybe that will give Subaru a new model year to figure it out if there are issue 😂🤷🏻‍♀️❤️

I don't really have an informed opinion around purchasing a new model. I would look on Subaru owners forums to see if there are any known issues.

I am not very familiar with the Ascent other than having sat in one and increasingly seeing them on the roads.

I am super impressed with Subarus generally. Fuji Heavy Industries makes super-high-quality vehicles. They are generally top rated for safety, very reliable, fun to drive, have advanced AWD, and have many other technical virtues. Plus, IMO, Subarus have character.

I'm not surprised you like the Ascent. Good luck with your decision.

Bill

• Like 1

I have a new VW Atlas with the bench in the middle, and I love it. I had a VW Passat wagon until my third baby’s car seat forced me into something else 13 years ago, and I was happy to find another VW that meets our needs. My kids are very tall and the leg room in all rows of the Atlas is absolutely amazing.

ETA: and the 2019 is the second model year, LOL

Edited by Alte Veste Academy
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Jyhwkmama said:

I am actually looking at buying the same size car right now. I have narrowed my decision to the Buick Enclave and Chevrolet Traverse.

DH doesn’t like GM so that knocks both of those out 😂. We tend to lean toward Japanese vehicles.  Good experiences with those vs bad experience with others can give one a “bent”. ❤️❤️❤️

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, Attolia said:

We looked at the ...

@Spy Car

I think you should seriously look at the Traverse or Buick Enclave. All the bells and whistles, comfort, seats 8 and a FUNCTIONAL (for adults)third row. We've traveled cross country with four people, a dog w/crate, and luggage. I've also picked up 8-seater dining tables, chairs, and other assorted FB marketplace furnishings, lol. I hear ya that GM is a problem but mine's going strong after 5 years w/o any major issues. I only have 55K miles tho and it's not the first model year.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1

On 2/3/2019 at 5:54 PM, Spy Car said:

Instead of flipping a car after 12-18 months, I usually go 12-18 years.

Part of the reason I like Subarus.

Bill

This is exactly what we do!  Our Pilot is 15 years old and has 230,000 miles on it.  It still runs great and we might not even trade it out for another 1-2 years.  It has been such a safe and reliable vehicle that we won't even get rid of it when we buy because it would work great for one of the teens to drive.  We plan to run our next one at least that long and that, in my humble opinion, is why we want a Honda or Subaru instead of a Chevy.  These brands are known to run and run and run and that is how we like it ❤️ 

Edited by Attolia

I love my Mazda 9.  I really really thought I wanted a Honda Pilot but the 'toddler' third row just would not work for our needs (driving teens around).

I help cart around our church's youth group regularly.  I can get myself and 6 TALL teen boys inside without the 2 in the third row being squished.  To fit 6  and 2 dogs you can leave part of the third row down for more cargo space.  That is what we do on trips-- our dogs are 100 lbs and 150 lbs so we NEED the extra room in the back for them!

The Mazda 9 was also a much more comfortable ride for everyone.  I also loved the fact that it had a great warranty AND cost a lot less than the Pilot.

I've had my 9 for three years now and still LOVE it.  We also have a 4-year old Mazda 3 that is a cute sporty smaller version that will be youngest dd's car in a few weeks when she FINALLY gets her license! The Mazda 3 seats 4 comfortably-- even the person who sits behind DH (6'2 in) has legroom.  No issues at all with our Mazda's-- they are great-running reliable cars.

• Like 2

Just now, Jann in TX said:

I love my Mazda 9.  I really really thought I wanted a Honda Pilot but the 'toddler' third row just would not work for our needs (driving teens around).

I help cart around our church's youth group regularly.  I can get myself and 6 TALL teen boys inside without the 2 in the third row being squished.  To fit 6  and 2 dogs you can leave part of the third row down for more cargo space.  That is what we do on trips-- our dogs are 100 lbs and 150 lbs so we NEED the extra room in the back for them!

The Mazda 9 was also a much more comfortable ride for everyone.  I also loved the fact that it had a great warranty AND cost a lot less than the Pilot.

I've had my 9 for three years now and still LOVE it.  We also have a 4-year old Mazda 3 that is a cute sporty smaller version that will be youngest dd's car in a few weeks when she FINALLY gets her license! The Mazda 3 seats 4 comfortably-- even the person who sits behind DH (6'2 in) has legroom.  No issues at all with our Mazda's-- they are great-running reliable cars.

Thanks for the heads up on this.  I will check it out.  Add it t the list! 😂

6 hours ago, Jann in TX said:

5 hours ago, Jann in TX said:

Those Mazda 3s are really nice!

In your model year (4 years ago) I drove every car option in the general class of small sedans so I could help advise a friend who was looking for a first new car.

I drove them hard,  particularly making very hard "evasive maneuvers" to tests the limits of cars suspension and handling capabilities. 

The top-of-the-class best handling, sportiest, most fun of the bunch was easily the Mazda 3. Mazda really sets these up as "driver's cars" straight from the factory.

Of course, the majority of people like their cars feeling more insulated from the road. For these people having a "driver's car" isn't a plus. But if you want a sports-car-like feeling vehicle (and I certainly do!) this is a great one. Love it!

The Mazda 3 great car for someone who would love to drive a BMW (for the ride and handling particularly) but lacks a BMW budget for either purchase or service.

Your daughter is a (very) very lucky girl!!!

That's not an easy car to give up. Wow.

And that's the car my friend purchased in the end, BTW. Super happy decision.

Bill

• Like 1

FWIW, our Expedition is 12+ years old and has gone 270,000 plus miles with few major problems. Still going strong, despite some hard driving in snow and up mountains regularly! We are not big people either (husband's a slim 5'8" and my girls don't grow taller than 5'4") but it really feels comfortable to me. I drove a Suburban briefly last summer and had to turn that thing back into the car rental place by the end of the day...way too big and unwieldy.

I don't have experience with larger Subarus, but our Forester is well built, for sure.

All that said, if I was hauling as much as you seem to be, I would go mini van :-) The biggest adjustment to switching to the Expedition all those years ago (which we did because of the driving conditions in our location) was the loss of cargo space.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Attolia said:

Thanks for the heads up on this.  I will check it out.  Add it t the list! 😂

If the Suby is your favorite so far, I would definitely drive a Mazda 9.

I have driven many Mazdas but I never been in that larger-sized vehicle, so I can only make assumptions here.

Mazda has the reputation (that matches my experiences) of having a set up that feels very sporty compared with the plusher feeling rides of Honda or Toyota. Sharper turning, stiffer suspension, etc. People who love these qualities of a "driving machine" really tend to like Mazdas. 

It would still be tough to be a Subaru.

Bill

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jann in TX said:

What year is your 9?  I now remember striking it off the list because it is so much smaller than the Pilot.  Maybe in previous years it wasn't?  

Space Comparison

Pilot - 16.5 cu ft. behind the 3rd row, 46.8 cu ft.behind the middle, 83.9 cu ft. behind the front row.

CX-9 - 14.4 behind the 3rd, 38.2 behind the middle, 71.2 behind the front row.

Have they made it smaller in the last few years?

On 2/4/2019 at 7:23 PM, Attolia said:

What year is your 9?  I now remember striking it off the list because it is so much smaller than the Pilot.  Maybe in previous years it wasn't?  

I've had several Hondas in the past and I was prepared to love the Pilot...SInce the Pilot is a bit bigger I thought that would in turn make it more comfortable-- but the Mazda CX9's third row was so much more comfortable-- AND I thought the CX9 drove better too.  I've been VERY pleased with our choice.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Just interesting, not that they're available or I'd promote buying a new model if they were!! But DH just told me about these last night. I have slacked and fallen out of the new car loop. A $50k Kia is hard for me to envision, but I guess they're trying to become more competitive. 

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a23031449/2020-kia-telluride-three-row-suv-photos-info/

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a24845196/2020-hyundai-palisade-photos-info/

Yea, 50,000 Kia isn't happening here 😂