Menu

How much BTB Spanish 1 for Spanish 1?

I have heard that the 3 books of BTB Spanish equal 4 years of high school Spanish, is this accurate? If so, any ideas of how much would need to be covered in BTB 1 to count for Spanish 1? We are working through it ok, but the topics come quickly and if I don't have to cover the whole book with her for Spanish 1, I would like to take more time with each chapter for review/mastery. But I want to be sure we cover enough this year... 

I have asked that in a few places. It seems that 9 chapters would do it. FWIW, we started BtB 1, and just switched to Easy Peasy Spanish 1 last week.  The concepts just came too quickly without enough review for us.  And that’s with a once a week conversational Spanish class using Spanish is Fun 1.  We have also had too many personal issues effect us the past few months, so probably have not devoted the necessary amout of time. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, GeoKitty said:

I have asked that in a few places. It seems that 9 chapters would do it. FWIW, we started BtB 1, and just switched to Easy Peasy Spanish 1 last week.  The concepts just came too quickly without enough review for us.  And that’s with a once a week conversational Spanish class using Spanish is Fun 1.  We have also had too many personal issues effect us the past few months, so probably have not devoted the necessary amout of time. 

Thank you! It is moving fast, but I think that 9 chapters are very doable. We are currently on unit 6 so can definitely get to 9. We are borderline mastery at this point, but if we could slow down just a bit I think we can definitely hit mastery. I am "teaching"  new material in a 1.5-2 hour block once a week to dd and another young lady. We cover new material, make sure they understand the exercises, and then play some games and practice conversations. Ideally I would add a second teaching day and probably will next year. 

• Like 1

It moved too fast for us, so I switched ds to Visual Link. He's doing it totally on his own and his own pace. He completed half of BTB 1, and when he completes two levels of VL, I will call it done for Spanish 1 & 2. The nice thing is that I'm out of the picture and don't have to learn it.! LOL! 

I have found that what is covered in a Spanish 1 class varies so much. My dd did Spanish 1 at the high school and they only covered the present and present progressive tenses in the year. We then switched to BTB and it covers a lot. Spanish was one of the classes that I really wasn't sure how we had done, but my dd was easily able to test into level 3 college Spanish when she started there this year - probably could have even gone into level 4 as she could have retaken the placement test, and only just missed 80% the first time, but decided to start at 3. She did great, got an A in the class and back credit for the previous levels, and is doing a Spnish minor along with her degree. I think BTB is a great course.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TCB said:

I have found that what is covered in a Spanish 1 class varies so much. My dd did Spanish 1 at the high school and they only covered the present and present progressive tenses in the year. We then switched to BTB and it covers a lot. Spanish was one of the classes that I really wasn't sure how we had done, but my dd was easily able to test into level 3 college Spanish when she started there this year - probably could have even gone into level 4 as she could have retaken the placement test, and only just missed 80% the first time, but decided to start at 3. She did great, got an A in the class and back credit for the previous levels, and is doing a Spnish minor along with her degree. I think BTB is a great course.

Did your DD complete BtB levels 1-3?