Menu

Geometry text - Glencoe or Jurgensen?

I used Jurgensen for dd#1's geo but not WHA's class. I've read that WHA goes really fast. Dd#2 is not a math kid who successfully used Jacobs for Alg 1. She is using a different geo text (McDougall-Little?) because I have it & the TM (given to me for free) plus Jurgensen would likely kill her. It seems to cover everything fine.

Dd#1 disliked geometry and didn't really understand it until she had to use it in PreCalc. She never has embraced proofs although she will need to, IMO, if she majors in math in college.

All that to say that you should do whatever will help her understand it best.

Edited by RootAnn
Updated with publisher of geo text
  • Like 1

I feel a one-on-one tutor is always better than an online class, so that would decide it for me. I'm not trying to toot my own horn, but one of my students told his mom after our first tutoring session, he could already tell he would learn a lot more from me than what they had been trying to do online. 

I am teaching my own son and tutoring others with the Holt 2007 Geometry book. I really like it, and it will definitely cover what is on the SAT/ACT.

I do the lesson in the book with my ds, and I have workbooks for the B level problems and a workbook called Problem Solving. He completes both of those books for each lesson. I use some problems from the text here and there, too. 

The nice thing using it in a tutoring situation is that there are free videos that my students can watch at home. Since we only meet once a week, if they have trouble on a lesson it's a great resource to help them. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, mom31257 said:

I feel a one-on-one tutor is always better than an online class, so that would decide it for me. I'm not trying to toot my own horn, but one of my students told his mom after our first tutoring session, he could already tell he would learn a lot more from me than what they had been trying to do online. 

I am teaching my own son and tutoring others with the Holt 2007 Geometry book. I really like it, and it will definitely cover what is on the SAT/ACT.

I do the lesson in the book with my ds, and I have workbooks for the B level problems and a workbook called Problem Solving. He completes both of those books for each lesson. I use some problems from the text here and there, too. 

The nice thing using it in a tutoring situation is that there are free videos that my students can watch at home. Since we only meet once a week, if they have trouble on a lesson it's a great resource to help them. 

I agree about the one on one! But our "tutorial" is not that. More like what many here call a co-op. If Dd takes Geometry there, her class will likely be 4-12 students. Individual tutoring for high school math runs $30-$50/hr here, way outside our budget and even at the low end, way more than even a pricey online class. 

So far we have been very pleased with math classes at WHA. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

I agree about the one on one! But our "tutorial" is not that. More like what many here call a co-op. If Dd takes Geometry there, her class will likely be 4-12 students. Individual tutoring for high school math runs $30-$50/hr here, way outside our budget and even at the low end, way more than even a pricey online class. 

So far we have been very pleased with math classes at WHA. 

That does make a difference. I wish we lived close by. I only charge $15 for up to a 1.5 hour session per week. Of course, everyone I tutor is the child of a friend of mine. I would definitely give you the same friend rate!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1