Menu

Ways to encourage real life problem-solving

My nearly 9.5 yr old seems to have turned off her brain lately, LOL. She seems unsure or stumped on how to solve some daily problems. Nothing major but things like 'I hear the fridge alarm go off' but she doesn't bother to investigate why or how to make it stop. Or regularly saying 'Mom, I need your help'. I think it's a phase but look at it as an opportunity to encourage on-the-spot problem-solving...either by scaffolding questions/comments or having her do so independently. For example, she told me the toilet was plugged and I walked her through plunging it. She asked what to do when a ruler wasn't handy (to draw a straight line) & I asked her if she could improvise--finding another straight edge. Things of that nature. She's so creative in other ways, how can I encourage her to think on her feet in more practical ways? What are ordinary things you have your kids do (to this end)? What question or comment stems do you use to turn things back on them so they think through solutions? I need to restock my verbage, LOL.

I have found the best thing for my kids is just to simple keep asking them, “How do you think you could solve that problem?” Usually they then stop to actually think about it and come up with an answer on their own. If not, I ask, “Well, do you think....” phrasing a solution as a question. Sounds like you are basically doing this already. Gets tiring, I know. Just keep it up, and maybe start asking about how they would solve small problems you have “Oh no, I need that spoon to stir the soup with, but it is dirty. How do you think I could solve my problem?” Sounds hokey, I know, but I think it helps bump their stalled brains (yeesh, they can ask some silly questions) get over the “I have a problem” full-stop mentality to, “oh, I can solve it!” Good luck! 

• Like 2

There is a Test of Problem Solving. It's considered an EF issue I think. With my ds sequencing is involved so knowing what step FIRST, breaking it into parts, fading prompts. 

Also feel free to do together new tasks, with you modeling the logic (what do we do first, where will we find it, etc.).

no it does not mean she's not bright or not creative. Look for the EF deficits. 

• Like 1