Menu

Make sure your kids keep copies of their syllabi!

AngieW in Texas

11 hours ago, regentrude said:

Good advice, but don't panic if they didn't - colleges need to archive syllabi, and the student can always contact the college/professor and ask for the syllabus later. Happens all the time.

That's good to know.  Dd doesn't even get hard copies anymore - everything is electronic.

4 hours ago, Kassia said:

That's good to know.  Dd doesn't even get hard copies anymore - everything is electronic.

well, you can save electronic copies, too. It's much easier than keeping track of a piece of paper. I would always recommend downloading the syllabus and filing it to keep.

• Like 2

I agree that this is a good idea. Zip up copies of work and syllabi and keep them on Google Drive or some other back up location.

Past syllabi can be helpful if a student applies to graduate school or would like to work on a different Bachelor's degree later in life. Documentation can help you get credit for prerequisites and in some cases can help get elective credits.

I recently had to dig up syllabi from my graduate courses to substantiate my credentials, which was difficult. I found a couple fairly easily, but some courses were moved to different departments (new programs created since my graduation). Three of my courses changed their content significantly while still using same course numbers, so I couldn't really use the material. I was able to find a couple of course descriptions from academic catalogs during my years in school, but details were not easily found. 

Also, if you need one and the teacher is no longer available be sure to ask the department office. I have to turn mine into the department at the beginning of each semester. I don't know how long they keep them, but I'm sure it is years (they store them electronically, so it isn't a big space issue). 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mom22ns said:

Also, if you need one and the teacher is no longer available be sure to ask the department office. I have to turn mine into the department at the beginning of each semester. I don't know how long they keep them, but I'm sure it is years (they store them electronically, so it isn't a big space issue). 

This. And also, for many departments certain courses are standardized, and the department may be able to send a more current syllabus and certify that the course taught followed the same. (For example, for our foundational engineering physics courses it is completely irrelevant which faculty member is teaching, since we have to make sure the course fits the Abet requirements for the engineering programs) 

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

DS was required to produce for the year and semester the course was taken: 

Class description

Website name 

Syllabus with week by week content and pages of textbook covered 

name of textbook and the edition 

If the class was taken at the university or as half speed through a dual enrollment program

Final exam. or if this was not available, the professor need to tick off a list of topics that was tested under exam conditions.