Menu

My frugal home office clean up

Ginevra

For the past many years, my office for dh’s businesses has been located at my MIL’s house, though I do have office space at my home. When I was dx’ed with cancer, though, I abruptly moved all my essentials to my house so I would be able to do my work totally from home. Due to the unplanned execution, though, I brought the files I need to have, supplies I expect to use, computer, machine and made a printer desk out of a folding banquet table I usually use as a homeschool desk. The problem has been it is a chaotic mess because no file drawers and no closet space for supplies. So it has been a TOTALLY disorganized mess with files stacked on the floor in piles. 

I cannot stand working in such a disaster area but there just hasn’t been much helping it recently. I was even on point to just order a filing cabinet from Wayfair because I was so aggitated by the mess, but then it snowed here and my driveway is no joke; UPS won’t traverse it if it’s snowy/icy. Which is probably wise, tbh. (An oil tanker got stuck in our woods one winter when it slid off the driveway. That was an adventure!) 

I swung by Staples today and found two legal-sized file storage totes (9.99 ea.) and one letter-sized flip-top filing tote (14.99). I also bought two accordian files for paid bills and these have 24 slots, so they will each last two years. They were 12.00 ea. I also got a binder and a set of tabs for my rental records. 

I just spent several hours restoring order in that room with my little low-budget filing solutions. Now I feel like I can breathe in there again! 

Adding a photo. Sorry I don’t have a “before”. 

90379A2A-3B2F-452F-9885-42BACA886C52.jpeg

Edited by Quill
  • Like 22

I've been decluttering and its come to a screeching halt with paperwork/office stuff. Because I don't have an office or money to spend. Something like these might get me halfway there. I just don't know where I'd put the storage totes! I guess even in a corner of the bedroom, its better looking than a pile! 

I'm happy for you that you have a little more sanity in your office! 

• Thanks 1

Nice job!!!

Office areas are a touchy subject for me. I started with 4 IKEA desk slab thingies, thinking I could have the kids sit around me to do homeschooly stuff.  Instead, I sprawled out and took over the entire thing, even with the addition of cube cases below and a bunch of stuff on top! And now we have to consider at least temporary office space for dh, but I can't imagine how I will give up room for him. I'm barely managing basic organization with all the space to myself!!!  I do think some of those file boxes need to be on my list!

• Thanks 1