Menu

Bed, Bath, and Beyond's stupid return policy

sassenach

I bought 2 fairly expensive items, paid $100 using a gift card, and $120 using my visa. I went to return the $80 item today and they wanted to give me part of it on gift card and about $50 on my Visa. I said, no, I want it all on my visa since I charged the greater amount on my visa. The manager would NOT do it. He said that it was their policy to return proportional amounts. 

I took the item home with me and will now be returning BOTH items and repurchasing the item that I want to keep. So DUMB.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

I can imagine that policy keeps people from gaming the system to cash out gifts cards.  However, I hate when places can't easily explain *why* they have a policy.

I was once being shorted in an exchange and they could not tell me why and just kept repeating that it was "the system". 

I was returning something for store credit and they would not give me the full amount I paid in store credit.  I kept asking for an explanation and never got more than it was "the system".

Op, I hope it worked out in the end!

• Like 1

"It's our policy" are among my most hated words. It's a thing to say when what they mean is "I don't care if it's logical, right, fair, or makes any amount of sense. We're going to do it this way and I don't even have to explain it because I can just say the magic words... it's our policy."

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, happi duck said:

I can imagine that policy keeps people from gaming the system to cash out gifts cards.  However, I hate when places can't easily explain *why* they have a policy.

I was once being shorted in an exchange and they could not tell me why and just kept repeating that it was "the system". 

I was returning something for store credit and they would not give me the full amount I paid in store credit.  I kept asking for an explanation and never got more than it was "the system".

Op, I hope it worked out in the end!

But it’s kind of the opposite, they were gaming me so I ended up with more store credit than I started with!

I think I might have lost my cool in your situation!

It took about 20 minutes to do an even exchange on a defective product the last time I was there.  The new product had to be ordered and the register was giving them a difficult time.  Because it wasn’t working as an exchange, I suggested that they just give me a refund and I buy the new product in a separate transaction.  They insisted on trying to get the exchange to work, even though it took a long time.  I feel like I left without it being an even exchange, but by the time they got it to work, I was in a rush and just wanted to leave.