Menu

Difficult bosses.

DawnM

I had a boss like this once. I knew this is how she was because I watched her do it to so many if my coworkers but for a long time she didn't do it to me.

Then one day I made a mistake, a pretty small mistake, that was actually partly her fault for being unclear. Anyway, she starts going off on me in front of all my coworkers. Since the job wasn't important to me, because she really made an amazing job shitty, I decided I wasn't going to just take her barking at me quietly.

I let her finish her rant on how crappy a job I did and then I let ALL those frustrations about her building up inside out. As I went off on her I watched all my coworkers slowly back out of the room. Then when I was done I just left the room.

I was completely prepared for her to fire me. Instead, she came and appologized to me for her behavior. And she never spoke to me like that again, although she continued with everyone else. Well except the only other person who ever stuck up for themselves like I did.

It was the best moment of my working career. Not that I advocate what I did if having a job is a necessity.

Sorry you have to deal with a shitty boss

• Like 10

I hate bosses like that.  I am fortunate to have a wonderful boss who does the exact opposite.  To be honest, that is why I have remained with that company rather than pursue other options. Sometimes money does not make up for the way you are treated emotionally.

((hugs))

• Like 2

I realized a long time ago that to survive in any kind of work environment I needed to either have a lot of money in a "F*** you" fund or not take things personally.  Since I never had that much money, I went with option B and stopped taking things personally.  That was the only way I could survive the wonders of corporate America.

On a side note - the way people handle mistakes of others is very telling of what kind of people and bosses they are.  The really great ones use it as a teaching opportunity.  The stupid and ego-centered ones tear people down.  I am very sorry that your boss is in a second group.

• Like 2

Uhhggg... that is horrible. I am so sorry. Yes, take your expertise, talents and kind heart and find a school that will utilize those skills well and appreciate what you bring to the table. Luckily you are in a high demand field. Some people just enjoy making others feel small. Don't let this person rob you of your confidence 

1 minute ago, SereneHome said:

I realized a long time ago that to survive in any kind of work environment I needed to either have a lot of money in a "F*** you" fund or not take things personally.  Since I never had that much money, I went with option B and stopped taking things personally.  That was the only way I could survive the wonders of corporate America.

On a side note - the way people handle mistakes of others is very telling of what kind of people and bosses they are.  The really great ones use it as a teaching opportunity.  The stupid and ego-centered ones tear people down.  I am very sorry that your boss is in a second group.

"F#$@ you fund" made me laugh out loud. That is hilarious 😂

Ugh, I am so sorry. People like that really suck. 

Can you confront her in a professional manner? Stand up for yourself and say that yes you made a mistake and you have rectified it. And let her know that she needs to treat you with professional respect and not belittle you. 

I had a boss that loved to lose it on people and bully them. He did it to me once and I confronted him about it in his office. He never did it again. 

Sometimes a bully just needs to know who they can't get away with bad behavior with. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DawnM said:

I have confronted her in the past and she just charges some more.  I haven't yet had one person say they gained anything from confronting her or pushing back.  It sounds nice in theory but it doesn't work with her. 

Ugh, that really stinks. 😥Hopefully, your district will start posting jobs soon for the upcoming school year!

If your employee handbook has any information on how people are supposed to handle the situation when subordinates make mistakes (such as don't call them out publicly, etc.), I might be tempted to leave a copy where she could see it. She sounds like a first-class jerk. Sorry you're stuck dealing with such a poor excuse for a supervisor.