Menu

Feedback appreciated for year 6 plan

I’m finishing up my planning for my year 6 daughter and would appreciate any feedback. Have I covered everything? Or am I being overly ambitious?  ☺️

Her favourite subjects are Language Arts (though writing/composition is a weak spot), world history (I thank SOTW for this), art, languages and loves nature and science though this will be her first year with Apologia.

I haven’t included art/music appreciation in my plan as I’m still searching for something easy and child led. It’s likely we will end up at the library here.

Any and all suggestions welcome! Thanks in advance  

Language Arts

Grammar:

finish up FLL and start GFTWTM

Writing:

finish WWE and start WWS

Spelling:

list from www.k12reader.com

Reading:

big reader so a mixture of prescribed reading, poetry and reading for pleasure

Hope to encorporate a book study or 2 this year.

Maths:

Singapore Maths

Kumon 

Science:

Apologia exploring creation

Zooology 1 and Astronomy this year  

World History:

following WTM for world history using Encyclopedia of WH as spine

Australian History:

Wide Brown Land for Me!

Language:

German tutor

Latin:

Getting Started with Latin

Logic:

Mind Benders 2 and 3

Music:

piano lessons

Art:

outschool classes

learn at home program (can’t remember the name)

Civics:

Homeschool downunder Australian Prime Ministers

And Election ebooks  

19 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

I would have a back up plan if WWS proves to be overly ambitious.  I think it's better suited for 7th or 8th, really, and I think it might be a big jump from WWE.

Thank you! I looked into that after posting and found some a great thread suggesting the same thing which I believe is more than likely going to be the case. Ive also just noticed she is finishing up WWE 3 not 4, so we will do the end of level assessment which will more than likely suggest continue on with WWE 4 for this year. 

• Like 1

What I would say is that although it is not at all a bad thing to have a sense of where you might go in a general way, chances are that you will have made substantial changes to this before you get to age 12.  So I'd not be buying stuff ahead unless you are picking it up very cheap and won't care about the expense if you don't use it.

FWIW, we found WWE really a slog.  

Thanks for your thoughts Bluegoat ☺️ This is our 6th year HS so most of this is tried and tested and I have all the texts already. I just want to be sure I’m not leaving anything out.

WWE has good days and bad days here but overall I like the approach and the literature selections so we stick with it. 

Out of curiosity though, what do you use instead?

On 1/16/2019 at 10:11 AM, withgrace said:

Thanks for your thoughts Bluegoat ☺️ This is our 6th year HS so most of this is tried and tested and I have all the texts already. I just want to be sure I’m not leaving anything out.

WWE has good days and bad days here but overall I like the approach and the literature selections so we stick with it. 

Out of curiosity though, what do you use instead?

I've used a few things.  We are more CM so in early years we do copywork/dictation, and then for composition we use narration of various kinds.  I've used Writing &Rhetoric Fable a few times around grade 3, and Bravewriter, in later elementary.