Menu

ISO Adult Online Spanish - was I charged too much at my community college?

So I have just signed up for an online Spanish class through my local community college. I want to get more serious about my own goals to learn Spanish (for me!). However, I have been hit with fees for the class that I didn't expect, and now I feel like it's just too expensive. I'm looking for a different online Spanish course that's still good but not so expensive. Or are my expectations for cost unreasonable?

Cost for my online class via the community college:

course fee - $268

Distance learning fee (a fee for being online) - $60

Fee for a third party website that is used for all course material and quizes - $110

TOTAL $438.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Ethel Mertz said:

I checked locally. They don't even offer Spanish! I've been doing a combination of things to brush off my Spanish and get up to speed. Will be glad to share if it would be helpful.

Thank you so much for checking anyway! I'm sure this cost is just WAY too high. Especially since it's only one semester. It's supposed to be a "continuing education" course which is not for credit hours. I feel cheated out of my money honestly. But it's already been paid, so I will just take the course and make the best of it. I have been doing DuoLingo and also a Podcast called Coffee Break Spanish. Those two mixed together have been great so far. But I'm wanting more accountability and deadlines to move things along, as well as conversations.

Yes, I would love to hear what is working for you!

It is higher than I would pay in my current state, comparable to what I paid in my last state, and much cheaper than what I would pay in the next state I expect to move to. Therefore, I’d say the community college pricing is probably pretty standard. 

Whether you want to pay this price is a completely separate matter. 

• Like 1

Agreeing with Jackie above. 

Eight years ago when DS#1 took Spanish on campus at the CC, it was $265 for the course + about $45 in student semester fees (so $310 just for tuition + fees). PLUS: $175 for the required book ($50) & stinkin' online access code ($125!!). So a total of almost $500 for a 1-semester college course, and that was 8 years ago. Our CC does not charge additional fees for online courses or online access. (Thankfully, the access code & book were good for 2 semesters, so the second semester was just the course fee + student fees.)

Currently, the CC is up to $330 for the same Spanish course + $85 for student semester fees, so over $400 for a 1-semester Spanish course. Don't know if the course still requires the expensive online access code + book.

Also, many CCs and universities charge the same for credit or audit, or whether the course is towards a degree program or just for personal enrichment. Are you over 55? Our CC gives "seniors" (age 55 and older) a huge tuition break when taking courses as continuing ed or enrichment (non-degree-seeking). Just a thought.

Edited by Lori D.

20 hours ago, mommysanders said:
20 hours ago, mommysanders said:

...I feel cheated out of my money honestly. But it's already been paid, so I will just take the course and make the best of it....

You may still be within the drop/refund period of your school's schedule to be able to get a refund! That would free up your time and money to try a different option that may be a better fit and less expensive. 🙂 BEST of luck!

• Like 1

My nearest community college charge $45/credit and Spanish 1 is listed as 5 credits with the corresponding lab listed as 0.5 credits. Don’t think there is an online course surcharge, they offer two on site options and one online option for this course.

Most people would go to the Adult education center if they are learning for enrichment and not for credit. Sample of cost for Beginning Spanish course

”Session 1: 9/26/18 - 12/5/18

Session 2: 1/16/19 - 3/29/19

Session 3: 4/10/19 - 6/12/19

WHEN: Wednesdays, 5:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.

COST: $125 per session”

Edited by Arcadia