Menu

Snorkeling advice & questions

mmasc

I don’t know much about snorkeling, but will possibly be given the opportunity to do so this summer. BUT, I’m not a good swimmer! 😞Does this mean snorkeling is a no-go for me? I really want to though! So, can people snorkel if they aren’t good swimmers? If wearing a flotation device, does that mean that you can’t snorkel because you’re floating???

ETA: it’s this one. 

https://www.shoreexcursioneer.com/costa-maya/reef-snorkeling-beach-break.html

so, it looks like it’s not a scuba combo...seems pretty low key...I think!

Edited by mmasc

I'm hardly an experienced snorkeler, but I think you'll be fine. I remembered that we used to do it in the lake when I was a kid, but I hadn't in ages. But when we went on vacation in Mexico, I was surprised at how simple it was and how we could all do it easily - even dh who is our weakest swimmer. At least in the places I went, you're basically floating on top anyway - after all, you want to keep breathing and the tube doesn't let you go way down. You basically float face down on the top of the water and slowly swim around, looking at the fish below and near you.

• Like 1

Most places you go you'll be able to see lots just from up top; you *can* dive down with the snorkel and not breath, but I never do. Places with good snorkeling, you stay atop the water and view what's below you. 

Many places have either life vests, or pool noodles, you can use as an aid if you like/need. We've helped our very little children snorkel with pool noodles. As long as you are in calm waters, it will be okay. If you are going on a snorkel/dive combo trip, on a boat, where some people will be diving and some snorkeling....then I would caution you to use a flotation device for sure. You may or may not be able to see much, depending where it is, and the water may be choppier which will make it harder to swim. I've only encountered that once, though, in all our trips; most times you'll be totally fine. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheReader said:

Most places you go you'll be able to see lots just from up top; you *can* dive down with the snorkel and not breath, but I never do. Places with good snorkeling, you stay atop the water and view what's below you. 

Many places have either life vests, or pool noodles, you can use as an aid if you like/need. We've helped our very little children snorkel with pool noodles. As long as you are in calm waters, it will be okay. If you are going on a snorkel/dive combo trip, on a boat, where some people will be diving and some snorkeling....then I would caution you to use a flotation device for sure. You may or may not be able to see much, depending where it is, and the water may be choppier which will make it harder to swim. I've only encountered that once, though, in all our trips; most times you'll be totally fine. 

I added the link in the OP, but it looks like it’s NOT a combo scuba, but it is a short boat trip out. I can’t really tell how deep out into the ocean the boat goes though. It seems to be pretty low key/calm (?) but I don’t know much about it yet. 

We just went snorkeling and no, you don't have to be a strong swimmer as long as you have a flotation device. We purposely stayed on top of the water and looked down at all the fish and coral underneath us. It was very cool. Even though my daughter and I can both swim, we both used a pool noodle under our arms to help with the floating. 

We bought these full face masks and LOVED them: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DH9N5B5/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You just put them on and go. They allow you to breath normally instead of through a tube in your mouth.

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, MercyA said:

We just went snorkeling and no, you don't have to be a strong swimmer as long as you have a flotation device. We purposely stayed on top of the water and looked down at all the fish and coral underneath us. It was very cool. Even though my daughter and I can both swim, we both used a pool noodle under our arms to help with the floating. 

We bought these full face masks and LOVED them: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DH9N5B5/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You just put them on and go. They allow you to breath normally instead of through a tube in your mouth.

Thank you! I was *just* looking at the dizzying amount of choices on amazon! I had planned to buy a full face one based on my cousin’s recommendation, but had no idea which one! (She’s going to wear one, but doesn’t know the brand since it’s older.) 

• Like 1

I went in the ocean off the beach with friends last year and was surprised at how buoyant I was in the salt water. Floatation devices weren’t allowed in this area, and the waves were moving me all around, but I had no problem staying on top of the water and I’m not a super strong swimmer. 

• Like 1

I learned to snorkel and scuba dive in high school, though I haven't done it since then (no opportunity to scuba, and I disliked snorkeling). My advice is to wear a shirt!! You don't want to get sunburned on your back.

Also, you might research what kind of sunscreen is allowed. My sister vacations often in the Caribbean and says that many kinds are banned now, due to their affect on sea life. You definitely want to be able to wear some, so make sure you take whatever kind is permitted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mmasc said:

I added the link in the OP, but it looks like it’s NOT a combo scuba, but it is a short boat trip out. I can’t really tell how deep out into the ocean the boat goes though. It seems to be pretty low key/calm (?) but I don’t know much about it yet. 

Oh, yes, Costa Maya should be fine. The one and only time I felt really uneasy, we were on a scuba/snorkel combo trip, that was really a scuba trip that they let snorkelers tag along on, and we were out off the Florida Keys, and it was windy/rough, and they made us wear fins/flippers.....I had my 2 younger boys on the "snorkel" side of things while DH & oldest DS went diving.....neither of those 2 are super strong swimmers, and I was kind of towing/guiding us all out away from the boat (and with admonitions like "go this way, so you don't get too near the motor..." making me nervous...) and with trying to use the flippers for the first time on top of everything else, it was not fun. But this was more "open ocean" vs. anything like what you posted. (and had it been just me, would have been okay) 

You'll have a great time! And yes to the full face mask; I think that's the same one I have, also, and it's much easier (plus I have problems with TMJ and snorkeling makes that worse; with this mask, no issues).  Have fun! You should see tons snorkeling a reef....

• Like 1

I snorkeled so much with little DD this year, and she was not a strong swimmer. I was essentially having her hold on to me but also used a floatation device.

my advice has to do with getting those masks that go over your head, putting the mask on and off DD was a pain (literally. The hair would get caught). And then she’d want to talk to me “mama this, mama that” and displace her tube, and rinse repeat. So worth it though. She didn’t want to, I made her and it’s one of the cutest things to hear her little voice shocked at the manta rays and the colorful

fish, etc. Oh, I was holding a gopro in the other hand while swimming. We were a sight 😂

• Like 1

You'll be absolutely fine so long as you wear a reliable flotation device for your own safety.

I love to snorkel, and I'm a competent swimmer, but I very rarely go underwater. I spend 99% of my time floating at the surface, with a pool noodle under my armpits. The noodle isn't necessary, but it allows me to spend hours out there w/ no stress, and if the water gets rough or I end up far from the "put in" spot when I decide to go in, it's a really nice safety net. I might not bother with the noodle if I know the water is super calm and/or I'm only going to be out there for under an hour. But, I really prefer to have the noodle just to make it super, duper mellow and stressless. 

Dh and I have snorkeled many of the top snorkeling islands/reefs in the Caribbean, Bahamas and Hawaii, and I really can't see any huge things you'd miss by staying at the top. Personally, dh and I get a kick out of going "deep" (10-15 ft max) to see what's under a ledge sometimes, or to get an unclose view of something, but that's really just moments out of hours of delightful snorkeling.

Stuff a noodle into your suitcase along with whatever other device/vest you take. I do that every trip. I stuff a pool noodle in a suitcase, and leave it there at the rental house when we leave for the next guests. 🙂

• Like 2

Ok, so it looks like I’m doing this! Woo-hoo! I’m definitely getting the mask mercy linked above, but should I take/buy my own vest even though they’re provided? I want to be sure it’s safe for me, but don’t want to buy and take unnecessary stuff. 🤔

Yes, bring your own flotation device. Snorkel excursions rarely provide such things, IME. Whatever they have would be something along the lines of my noodle -- which is fine for comfort for a decent swimmer, but not good enough for someone who actually can't swim well. You want to buy something that you can safely and comfortably snorkel in for hours, and you'd definitely be best off bringing your own. Remember that you'll be floating face down, so be sure whatever you get is designed for snorkeling and swimming, not just for a boating safety, as most safety flotation devices are designed to "flip you onto your back" if you're knocked unconscious, and you don't want that!

(Dh and I always bring ALL our own snorkel gear, as even cheap stuff off Amazon is much better than what is provided on excursions or resorts, without fail.)

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, StephanieZ said:

You'll be absolutely fine so long as you wear a reliable flotation device for your own safety.

I love to snorkel, and I'm a competent swimmer, but I very rarely go underwater. I spend 99% of my time floating at the surface, with a pool noodle under my armpits. The noodle isn't necessary, but it allows me to spend hours out there w/ no stress, and if the water gets rough or I end up far from the "put in" spot when I decide to go in, it's a really nice safety net. I might not bother with the noodle if I know the water is super calm and/or I'm only going to be out there for under an hour. But, I really prefer to have the noodle just to make it super, duper mellow and stressless. 

Dh and I have snorkeled many of the top snorkeling islands/reefs in the Caribbean, Bahamas and Hawaii, and I really can't see any huge things you'd miss by staying at the top. Personally, dh and I get a kick out of going "deep" (10-15 ft max) to see what's under a ledge sometimes, or to get an unclose view of something, but that's really just moments out of hours of delightful snorkeling.

Stuff a noodle into your suitcase along with whatever other device/vest you take. I do that every trip. I stuff a pool noodle in a suitcase, and leave it there at the rental house when we leave for the next guests. 🙂

The resort package includes a mask, snorkel, fins, and a vest.

I would not take a floatation device (or mask) with me. They provide these things. If one really needs buoyancy a secured vest is far preferable to using a pool noodle IMO.

Having fins and a well-fitting mask are the keys to having a good time.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

The resort package includes a mask, snorkel, fins, and a vest.

I would not take a floatation device (or mask) with me. They provide these things. If one really needs buoyancy a secured vest is far preferable to using a pool noodle IMO.

Having fins and a well-fitting mask are the keys to having a good time.

Bill

BLECH to using the provided gear. It might be OK, but it might SUCK. And ruin your whole day.

For under $100, you can get all your own gear on Amazon and not have to deal with the lines/hassles of getting/returning gear or worry about it being gross or ill-fitting. (This is coming from someone who has stayed in $500+/night beach resorts and gone on $200/person day trips. Nope, never saw any decent gear for offer. It's all garbage. And you can spend 20 minutes walking to and waiting around at the "beach gear tiki hut" -- some places even require you to do that daily instead of letting you keep your stuff all week.

We actually pay for an extra bag (so 120 or so round trip) when we go on beach trips and have an entire large suitcase packed with snorkel gear for 5 . . . plus my noodle, lol. I'm not frivolous, but we love to snorkel. It's WELL worth the extra small cost and trouble to bring your own gear if you really want to enjoy the snorkeling a lot.  

IMHO,

required Gear: snorkel, mask, fins, "sea goop" or similar anti-fog "spit"

optional Gear: swimming vest and/or noodle(s) -- depending on your swimming confidence and availability of rescue personnel. We usually snorkel where there are no other humans around, so we have to be ready to self-rescue in any situation. Also, depending on how far you like to adventure. We often swim/snorkel a mile or more and/or across a reef or two on a snorkeling expedition, which also makes it more important to be prepared in case tides surprise you and/or conditions change. 

We travel with all of the above if we're going to snorkel anywhere, ever. 

Be sure to test out all your gear in the bath tub as soon as you get it, so you can return/exchange it if it isn't a good fit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, StephanieZ said:

BLECH to using the provided gear. It might be OK, but it might SUCK. And ruin your whole day.

For under $100, you can get all your own gear on Amazon and not have to deal with the lines/hassles of getting/returning gear or worry about it being gross or ill-fitting. (This is coming from someone who has stayed in $500+/night beach resorts and gone on $200/person day trips. Nope, never saw any decent gear for offer. It's all garbage. And you can spend 20 minutes walking to and waiting around at the "beach gear tiki hut" -- some places even require you to do that daily instead of letting you keep your stuff all week.

We actually pay for an extra bag (so 120 or so round trip) when we go on beach trips and have an entire large suitcase packed with snorkel gear for 5 . . . plus my noodle, lol. I'm not frivolous, but we love to snorkel. It's WELL worth the extra small cost and trouble to bring your own gear if you really want to enjoy the snorkeling a lot.  

IMHO,

required Gear: snorkel, mask, fins, "sea goop" or similar anti-fog "spit"

optional Gear: swimming vest and/or noodle(s) -- depending on your swimming confidence and availability of rescue personnel. We usually snorkel where there are no other humans around, so we have to be ready to self-rescue in any situation. Also, depending on how far you like to adventure. We often swim/snorkel a mile or more and/or across a reef or two on a snorkeling expedition, which also makes it more important to be prepared in case tides surprise you and/or conditions change. 

We travel with all of the above if we're going to snorkel anywhere, ever. 

Be sure to test out all your gear in the bath tub as soon as you get it, so you can return/exchange it if it isn't a good fit.

The only gear that might be an issue the mask/snorkel. One needs a well-fitting mask to have a good time. But purchasing one online w/o being able to test it in advance doesn't guarantee a good fit.

A vest is a vest. Purchasing one for a one-off trip makes no sense. Pool noodles are a very bad idea for open ocean IMO. Stick with a vest.

Fins are something I'd purchase if I was planning to do a lot of snorkeling. I've had fins my whole life and have snorkeled a great deal. I prefer bodysurfing fins (like Churchill Makakoos or Dafins) myself, but for a poor swimmer, the larger scuba style fins that the resort will provide are preferable. I would not purchase fins if this was a one-off trip. I'm picky about the fins I own, but for a casual snorkeling adventure which brand is used is not that critical.

Quality gear would be way more than $100. Buying cheap stuff that one would never use again is money poorly spent. Save it for things like salad spinners. LOL.

Bill

• Haha 1

The boat we were on provided vests for all--I assumed that they were required to do so. They skeeved me out because they had to be inflated by mouth (communal vests, eww). I took hand sanitizer and wipes to them, but still didn't inflate mine. They also provided pool noodles and sturdier foam-type life vests for anyone who wanted them.

They also provided masks, snorkels, and fins. None of us used the fins and we were all comfortable without them. I personally wouldn't bother buying and taking them, but I am no expert!

I was so glad to have our own masks. We did have to tighten them more than I expected. Do try them in the bathtub at home and make sure you don't have leakage. My daughter and I used the masks I linked upthread. My husband bought this one, which is very similar, except it has UV coating and attached earplugs:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D9JQQYH/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don't know if those features are important to you. He also bought some magnifying lenses to suction inside his mask, because he can't wear contacts.

We were also glad to have a waterproof cover for my husband's phone and got some great pictures!

Hope you have an awesome time!

• Like 2

For someone who is not a confident ocean swimmer, wearing swim fins makes a dramatic difference in both water safety and the ability to swim quickly and competently over a sustained period of time. Even good swimmers are hugely advantaged by wearing swim fins.

It is the most critical piece of equipment to use when ocean swimming.

Bill 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spy Car said:

For someone who is not a confident ocean swimmer, wearing swim fins makes a dramatic difference in both water safety and the ability to swim quickly and competently over a sustained period of time. Even good swimmers are hugely advantaged by wearing swim fins.

It is the most critical piece of equipment to use when ocean swimming.

Bill 

I honestly found the opposite, but primarily because I had never used fins before and could not for the life of me figure out the proper kick/stroke to use them effectively. I'd say one should definitely practice with fins prior to the trip, if one will need to use them. The trip where I was required to use them, I ended up taking them off and swimming w/o them because I just couldn't get the hang of it. 

I also say/agree that open ocean snorkeling is vastly different than bay, Caribbean, protected, cove, etc. snorkeling. It looks like where the OP is going (we've snorkeled near where she's going, but not the same spot) should be okay without the fins, especially if she uses a real flotation device for snorkeling. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Spy Car said:

The only gear that might be an issue the mask/snorkel. One needs a well-fitting mask to have a good time. But purchasing one online w/o being able to test it in advance doesn't guarantee a good fit.

A vest is a vest. Purchasing one for a one-off trip makes no sense. Pool noodles are a very bad idea for open ocean IMO. Stick with a vest.

Fins are something I'd purchase if I was planning to do a lot of snorkeling. I've had fins my whole life and have snorkeled a great deal. I prefer bodysurfing fins (like Churchill Makakoos or Dafins) myself, but for a poor swimmer, the larger scuba style fins that the resort will provide are preferable. I would not purchase fins if this was a one-off trip. I'm picky about the fins I own, but for a casual snorkeling adventure which brand is used is not that critical.

Quality gear would be way more than $100. Buying cheap stuff that one would never use again is money poorly spent. Save it for things like salad spinners. LOL.

Bill

Agreeing there is no reason to buy/bring your own flotation device; we never have, and they've always been fine. 

We do bring our own masks, but we snorkel a LOT, and some of us have prescription masks, others have full face masks due to TMJ issues, and others of us have "please no germs" concerns. For a one-off trip, certainly optional, and really, if the fee for the trip is going to include the rental equipment (and no way around it), might as well use the rental. 

• Like 1

I can probably use all of the provided equipment EXCEPT the mask. Nope...just can’t do it. Count me in the camp of ‘keep your germs to yourself please.’ I can’t even blow up a balloon after my own kids have attempted it!🤣

Although, I am now rethinking the need to buy a vest after mercy said you have to blow up the communal vest🤢

also, FYI, this is only a 40 minute snorkeling excursion 😁

I do appreciate everyone’s advice and recommendations! It has been very helpful. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TheReader said:

I honestly found the opposite, but primarily because I had never used fins before and could not for the life of me figure out the proper kick/stroke to use them effectively. I'd say one should definitely practice with fins prior to the trip, if one will need to use them. The trip where I was required to use them, I ended up taking them off and swimming w/o them because I just couldn't get the hang of it. 

I also say/agree that open ocean snorkeling is vastly different than bay, Caribbean, protected, cove, etc. snorkeling. It looks like where the OP is going (we've snorkeled near where she's going, but not the same spot) should be okay without the fins, especially if she uses a real flotation device for snorkeling. 

When using fins one employs the same basic flutter kick one uses when swimming freestyle. The speed and endurance advantages that swim fins offer a swimmer cannot be overestimated. These advantages benefit swimmers of all levels, but for one not confident of their abilities the fins are particularly valuable.

There is no way that I'd advocate for a person who isn't highly confident of his or her abilities to swim without fins, even on a protected ocean location. One gives up too much benefit IMO.

Bill