Menu

Do you have two eyes that are very different vision-wise?

J-rap

It never occurred to me that someone's eyes would have so very different visions.  My dd has always been quite nearsighted in one eye and just very mildly nearsighted in the other eye.  In the past year, the eye that was only mildly nearsighted is now developing a farsightedness.  So one eye can see close-up and one eye can see distance.  Maybe this is more common than I thought, but it's seems really unusual to me.  Anyone else?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J-rap said:

It never occurred to me that someone's eyes would have so very different visions.  My dd has always been quite nearsighted in one eye and just very mildly nearsighted in the other eye.  In the past year, the eye that was only mildly nearsighted is now developing a farsightedness.  So one eye can see close-up and one eye can see distance.  Maybe this is more common than I thought, but it's seems really unusual to me.  Anyone else?

Hey, I resemble this remark. My left is my close up eye and my right sees distance. I used to be able to read easily with both eyes but then middle age happened. I do wear glasses to drive and now they have to be graduated lenses so that I can read in them if I need to. 

My dad had a lazy eye as a child, and it was not caught early enough, so that eye has always been legally blind, whereas he can see out of the other one (with glasses).

My mom deliberately made her vision different in each eye when she had cataract surgery. They set one lens to see distance and one to see up close. This seemed very odd to me at the time, and I would never have chosen it for myself, but it worked for her.

Yes.  My sight issues were discovered when I applied for my first driver's license.  I remember that the first optometrist I saw was quite excited because my eyes were so different.  Over time my nearsighted eye has approached normal.  My farsighted eye has gotten worse.  I have been told that I would be a good candidate for LASIK because I'd only need one eye done.  

I went to the Optometrist at the end of June 2018 and asked her for two (2) prescriptions. One for Distance lenses, which I had made as Prescription Sunglasses. The other pair for use with this 14" laptop.   I have had Myopia and Astigmatism since I was a boy.  I had LASIK surgeries in 1997.    To my astonishment, for the pair for use with this laptop, she put one eye as near-sighted, which is normal for me, and the other eye as far-sighted. I had NEVER had an eye that is far sighted before. Possibly this involves the fact that one eye has a Cataract (I am on the list for surgery) but as I write this, I cannot remember which eye is nearsighted and which eye is farsighted.

Without glasses/contacts, I can't make out writing (or faces, or anything, really) if it's further than a foot away from my face.

My eyes were only slightly different for the longest time (0.25/0.5 difference between the two eyes. Still are probably, but it's barely noticeable now and I can get along just fine with the same prescription strength (contacts) in each eye. Simplifies the contact wearing process for me a teeny tiny bit.

Both of my eyes are nearsighted but the left has always been much worse than the right.  Now in my late 40s, I started having trouble seeing close up with contacts in, so now I wear the same power contact in each eye but it works as monovision.  My dominant right eye sees far away while my left eye with the lower powered contact can see close up.  I tried no contact in my left eye but the difference is too much. 

For awhile I was just wearing my full powered contact in my left eye for distance and leaving my right contact out.

I had the same mild prescription for nearsightness from the time I was 12 years old (but I probably needed them years before that, I'm just really good at compensating for my vision which makes getting the prescription right very difficult and probably explains why I passed vision tests until I was 12) until I had my 4th child. After she was born, when I was 27, my eyesight changed but only in one eye. They have slowly gotten worse over the years, my left eye is weaker than my right still, but it is still considered mild. I have an astigmatism in my left eye as well which is corrected in my glasses but not considered bad enough to warrant toric lenses when I wore contacts. Dh is legally blind without his glasses and one eye is weaker than the other but I don't remember off hand which is weaker. I was always told that it was unusual that both of my eyes had the exact same prescription for so long.

Mine are very different and have been since about 3rd grade. I use my right eye to read and left eye for distance and annoyingly have two lazy eyes. So when I am reading or talking to someone, my left eye wanders, which causes people to turn around because they think I’m looking behind them. And my right eye wanders when I use my left eye. It probably could have been corrected but when I was a kid the doc gave me a clip on eye patch that became the focus of a lot of teasing in school and I wasn’t compliant with the regimen. 

Dh can see out of his left eye but legally blind in his right.  

very different.  the thing I've learned - you need to make sure she has a good eye dr.  it's amazing how incompetent eye drs can be when it comes to treating such disparity in vision.  (especially by their staff.)   I've had eye drs whose appointments/treatment have left me quite nauseated because they couldn't handle the disparity in my vision.  I've had to tell them to stop what the heck they're doing because they were making me sick.

11 minutes ago, Tanaqui said:

Annie G, is it not possible to treat it now?

I grew up calling it a lazy eye because that’s what my eye doc called it back in the 60’s, but I actually have both lazy eyes and  strabismus.  I’ve used the same eye doc for many years and he’s been able to help me control it but it takes a lot of concentration. I’m introverted so when I have to talk to people I have developed the habit of not making eye contact or making it in short bursts- so even though I *can* control it, it’s exhausting, and I don’t do it reliably. 

Surgery might be an option  However, vision therapy is also necessary with surgery and since my eyes haven’t worked together for more than 40 years, my doc is not confident that it will be successful.  My vision has improved in my worst eye so that’s good.  I can read and sew and drive so I’m content with that.  

Our two oldest children also had this and it was caught early and treated with prism lenses and vision therapy.  As adults they haven’t had vision issues,which is awesome. 

I am -1.25 in one eye and +.25 in the other with some astigmatism.  I have glasses but I rarely wear them.  My eyes have been like this since my teens.  

My daughter is nearsighted in both eyes but the prescriptions for each is quite different.  My son's is pretty close for both eyes.  My husband's was too until he had Lasik.  

My left eye is legally blind whereas my right eye is almost perfect. Never had a lazy eye or anything like that. I wear glasses for reading and computer work so my good eye doesn’t get tired. I have 0 depth perception because of this, supposedly. I’m supposed to wear glasses when I drive and I do bring my glasses, but my right eye is just used to correcting and doing all the work. 

Interestingly, my mom has this exact same issue. Same eye and everything.

• Like 1

I'm about 20/50 in my right eye and 20/100 in my left. The left is slightly crossed; surgery was done when I was a toddler which mostly corrected it, but it strayed again a bit somewhere between age 9 and 11. It's only noticeable to someone else when I shift focus between very near and distance. My brain ignores what the left eye is taking in, except for peripheral vision, and I have basically no depth perception as a result. I had to start going to a developmental optometrist to get a prescription that corrects the left to 20/20, my previous optometrist couldn't do it any more.