Jump to content

Menu

Toddler symptoms... What do you think? (Warning: a little gross)


Recommended Posts

My 3 yo has started something new the last couple of months. He is regurgitating a little food and spiting it out right after eating. Within 10 minutes. Not every time he eats. It started just once a week. I thought it was odd and puzzling. But now its ramping up to nearly daily. Definitely every other day at least once. Sometimes more than once in a day.

Only once did he fail to make it to a trash can or toilet. So for the most part, he knows its coming. Also, sometimes he says, "I throw up in my mouth."  I ask if he's okay, does he need a drink of water? He's a typical 3 yo so not consistent with his responses. Sometimes he says he's fine. Sometimes he says his tummy hurts. 

He also burps a lot. Quiet wet burps, not big gassy belches. He also gets hiccups a lot. 

Since the first time it happened, I thought it was a matter of overeating. This kid thinks he's hungry all the time and if anyone in the house is eating, he has to have some of whatever it is, too. So I very closely monitored his food intake and made sure he wasn't eating more than 3 meals and 3 light snacks every day. 

Well, that didn't help, so I thought maybe he wasn't calm enough when eating. He is so wild and wound up all the time. He never sits still. So I started making him sit still in a chair to eat everything and sit calmly for a few stories after eating. That hasn't helped either. We were sitting together reading a story after breakfast this morning, when he suddenly jumped up and ran down the hall to regurgitate into the toilet. 

Any ideas? I'm calling the pediatrician tomorrow but that's making me so nervous because I always feel like a paranoid helicopter parent looking for problems. I was hoping The Hive might have some insights so I feel a little prepared for this appointment. 

Google is turning up possibly a food sensitivity or maybe lactose intolerance?? But neither of those things mention regurgitation like he's experiencing. There is a regurgitation syndrome or something but it sounded like it was psychological and the child could control it. Its a stress response or something. I really don't think that's what is going on with him.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it weird that it just randomly started? What would cause it? I don't get it! Lol 😁 

I'm reading about reflux and it seems like maybe we could try some diet changes and other things before medication. I guess we'll see what the doc says. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know, but fwiw, when my kid was about 5, his gag reflex became extremely sensitive. He would throw up while eating several times a week. That was always such a treat, BLAAAAAKKKHHHH right onto his dinner plate.

He did outgrow it after several months. Thankfully!

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well of course we had marinara with dinner tonight. 🙄 Within ten minutes, he had to run to the bathroom. But then a full hour after dinner, when he got out of the bath, up came a ton!!! More than ever!

I feel terrible! Now I'm really hoping the pediatrician has an opening tomorrow!

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ThisIsTheDay said:

I don't know, but fwiw, when my kid was about 5, his gag reflex became extremely sensitive. He would throw up while eating several times a week. That was always such a treat, BLAAAAAKKKHHHH right onto his dinner plate.

He did outgrow it after several months. Thankfully!

How did you know that's all it was? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MrsRobinson said:

How did you know that's all it was? 

I tend to downplay things, which is not always the best way to respond to a situation. He didn't have anything else that would cause concern, no complaints about stomach, pain, or any digestion or bathroom issues. He also began gagging when brushing his teeth

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, ThisIsTheDay said:

I tend to downplay things, which is not always the best way to respond to a situation. He didn't have anything else that would cause concern, no complaints about stomach, pain, or any digestion or bathroom issues. He also began gagging when brushing his teeth

Oh, yeah, the teeth brushing. I know that's a big gag reflex trigger for a lot of people. I'm glad it resolved for all your sakes!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

twin 2 has most probably got Rumination Syndrome https://www.chop.edu/conditions-diseases/rumination-syndrome

he effortless regurgitates food every time he eats, re-chews it and re-swallows it. it is not reflex. the main problem is that now his teeth are deteriorating. treatment will involve a psychologist who specializes in this condition and retraining his breathing before eating etc. we will wait until he is older to begin this treatment as there is only so many areas of treatment and therapy we can do at a time.

 

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

twin 2 has most probably got Rumination Syndrome https://www.chop.edu/conditions-diseases/rumination-syndrome

he effortless regurgitates food every time he eats, re-chews it and re-swallows it. it is not reflex. the main problem is that now his teeth are deteriorating. treatment will involve a psychologist who specializes in this condition and retraining his breathing before eating etc. we will wait until he is older to begin this treatment as there is only so many areas of treatment and therapy we can do at a time.

 

Poor kiddo! That sounds so challenging. 😞

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

it is the least challenging condition he has

 on the plus side I use it as an excuses for access visits to be food free. 

Your kids are so fortunate to have you working so hard for them! I am in awe of all you do! 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

What you described, is also termed 'Rumination Disorder'.
But one thing that you should look at, is his 'breathing'?  Which is a common cause.
The basic difference, is between what is called: 'Belly Breathing' and 'Shoulder Breathing'.
Where Shoulder Breathing, causes tension in the abdominal muscles. Causing regurgitation.
While Belly Breathing, and breathing into the diaphragm.  Relaxes the abdominal muscles.

To identify how he breathes?  You can ask him to take a few deep breathes.  Observing whether his belly extends, or if his shoulders rise?
Where the important question, is whether his shoulders rise?
You could also try observing how he breathes, after eating?

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well the Dr also said reflux. We are going to try medication for a short time to see if that clears it up. If so, then we'll figure out specific food triggers so he hopefully doesn't have to be dependent on medication. 

Thanks for your thoughts everyone!

Edited by MrsRobinson
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Though with Reflux: " Acid reflux is when some of the acid content of the stomach flows up into the esophagus, into the gullet, which moves food down from the mouth."
But you don't mention that he has a problem with acid. It is just the food which is coming back up. Which is defined as Rumination. Here's an article about it, which notes that it is often confused with Reflux.
https://www.chop.edu/conditions-diseases/rumination-syndrome

 


 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, geodob said:

Though with Reflux: " Acid reflux is when some of the acid content of the stomach flows up into the esophagus, into the gullet, which moves food down from the mouth."
But you don't mention that he has a problem with acid. It is just the food which is coming back up. Which is defined as Rumination. Here's an article about it, which notes that it is often confused with Reflux.
https://www.chop.edu/conditions-diseases/rumination-syndrome

 


 

 

Well, I guess in my first post I did say "food" and it is true that sometimes there will be a little bit of raisins or goldfish or something, most of the time it is liquid. Most of the time it looks like curdled milk or its super orange and mucous-like. Sorry, I was trying to not be super gross in my other comments! Lol! 😂

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...