Menu

s/o Kids Movies that are Great Films

Farrar

So many people said they don't like children's movies at all. I feel like they're just movies. Some are great. Some are atrocious. Most are mediocre. You know, like movies. And because I'm not the intended audience, I feel like mediocre in a children's movie hits me as worse.

But I would argue that some children's movies transcend the genre to just be great films. Which ones do you think do that?

Off the top of my head, I'd say...

Spirited Away
My Neighbor Totoro
Howl's Moving Castle
Babe
Up
Song of the Sea
The Book of Kells
The Wizard of Oz
ET
Wall-E
Toy Story 1-3
Snow White

I think there are more... there are others that I love... just thinking if they're really good enough...

• Like 1

an American tail

Incredibles  (and the out takes with edna and jack-jack from #2)

secondhand lions

wonderworks version of a little princess (closest to the book.)

toy story movies

hallmark the secret garden (my fav.  hey, colin firth)

• Like 2

Toy Story 3 for sure is the best but 1 and 2 are also good, Finding Nemo, Charlotte's Web (the one with Dakota what's her name as Fern and Julia Roberts as Charlotte's voice), Brave, the Narnia movies I could watch over and over again too but maybe those don't count as kid's movies?

Edited by Momto5inIN
Eta: also loved Up
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Farrar said:

So many people said they don't like children's movies at all. I feel like they're just movies. Some are great. Some are atrocious. Most are mediocre. You know, like movies. And because I'm not the intended audience, I feel like mediocre in a children's movie hits me as worse.

But I would argue that some children's movies transcend the genre to just be great films. Which ones do you think do that?

Off the top of my head, I'd say...

Spirited Away
My Neighbor Totoro
Howl's Moving Castle
Babe
Up
Song of the Sea
The Book of Kells
The Wizard of Oz
ET
Wall-E
Toy Story 1-3
Snow White

I think there are more... there are others that I love... just thinking if they're really good enough...

Oh, I've never seen anyone recommend book of kells before so I was wary to try it! Thank you, it's definitely on my to watch list now!

• Like 1

Hmm, I agree some kids movies are just great movies.  My list would include:

Labyrinth

The Water Horse

The Prince's Bride

The Wizard of Oz

Mary Poppins

The Iron Giant

Stand By Me

The Incredible Journey

The Secret of Roan Innish

A Christmas Story

Goonies (maybe, I don't know - I still love that movie.)

THe Muppet Movie

Wallace and Grommet

E.T.

For whatever reason, a lot of the animated stuff just doesn't speak to me.  Something like Finding Nemo, or even Toy Story, while I think they are nice enough kids movies, I kind of find them boring.  

• Like 2

Oh, yeah, adding...

The Secret of Roan Innish
The Iron Giant
A Little Princess (the 1995 theatrical version)

I love some of the other movies people are mentioning... I don't know that Goonies rises to some level of great for me. Gosh, I do love it though. Goonies never say die.

I adore Labyrinth, but it's campy. I mean, that's part of why I love it.

I don't think National Treasure or Princess Bride are children's movies. They're just family friendly... but their original intended audiences weren't primarily kids.